Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Anyone used a 'Deeproof Housing Carrier' with a FlexiTray?

Started by thetrickster ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

Anyone used a 'Deeproof Housing Carrier' with a FlexiTray?

22 posts
  1. I emailed DiverVision and provided specification of the FlexiTray II and they said they could provide one to fit (Handles 28cm apart, not like the big FullFrame housings which are 35cm++ apart)

     

    I'm out by 93€ - lets see if the gamble pays off! :)

  2. 93€? It seem like a perfect candidate forma a DIY project :)

    Actually even a pro metal worker could ask far less.

     

    BTW the external span of my flexy tray is 35cm. I was looking a new box for my housing so I measured it.

     

    davide@mobile

  3. My measurements were from the centre of the ball joints. Hope I got it right :-/

     

     

     

    post-43742-0-96648100-1417673243_thumb.jpg

    post-43742-0-53247900-1417673259_thumb.jpg

  4. 93€? It seem like a perfect candidate forma a DIY project :)

    Actually even a pro metal worker could ask far less.

     

     

    Yeah 93€ might seem steep, but that includes delivery.

     

    I did think about getting one made up, but thought lets give this a go first.

     

    I've got a 3D Printer, but that only prints up to 20cm, so couldn't make one on that..

  5. It arrived. Unbelievable!! 2 days from Taiwan.

     

    a719aa1f6230ff9bda2dd8f7fcc7300e.jpg

    Edited by thetrickster
  6. I have thought about fabricating something similar, but see two potential problems. One, what do you do if you use the cold shoe to mount a focus light? A little bit of fore/aft offset might be possible I suppose but would it be enough? Two, it looks like the mount requires the ball fixtures to give up their cozy recessed mounting position. Mechanically maybe not an issue with two screws, but inelegant.

     

    I am inclined to use something like a longer length of something more flexible (plastic coated wire rope? poly rope?) attached with stainless clips over the necks of the ball fixtures. Anyone have a better idea?

  7. Yeah, I've had to go with the different type of ball arms (the ones with 4 holes and round base) (and the additional flat bases....)

     

    As to Focus Light - you are completely right this could be a problem (not with camera till Saturday)- but as you can see there are 3 mounting points on this carrier so, if needed I can get something to screw to this and then clip on focus light on. The righthand side I've will put a ball joint on for the Ninja.

  8. Finally got home to see if indeed it was the right size :)

     

    Had to buy some more Nautical pieces (3 flat bottom ball joints and 2 mounting bases)

     

    Bneed to spend some more money, as as predicted cold shoe can't be used, so need a YS female base that can screw directly into a M5 bolt hole)

     

    But super happy with the result. Compared to trying to make something - or upgrade to the NA-GH4.

    post-43742-0-39697000-1417798829_thumb.jpg

    post-43742-0-19100700-1417798833_thumb.jpg

    post-43742-0-90358800-1417798837_thumb.jpg

    post-43742-0-20135700-1417798844_thumb.jpg

  9. Hi Richard,

     

    I don't know if that setup it's well balanced underwater.

    Thinking to my dive style I could not keep the monitor on the top of the housing. Would be a sail.

    Moreover, respect to the classic camcorder shape I find keeping it steady very difficult. A camera is not designed for video shooting.

    I would prefer a configuration like this:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53795&page=4&do=findComment&comment=354915

     

    It seems somenone wrote about this in some thread

     

    With the monitor behind the camera: much more streamlined and (more important) balanced for steady shots.

     

    I use a scooter even when I do not need it. The camera is rock steady :)

     

    post-32954-0-76129400-1417803969_thumb.jpg

     

     

     

     

     

  10. Davide,

    I agree about it might be top heavy. Have lots of mounting options now (I wish there was a ball joint on the top of the ninja too - or at least holes to screw one in) so once I'm back in the water I can get it balanced. At least now the handles are very strong. The Carrier was definitely worth the 90€!

    Yeah the long camcorder style definitely lends to better balance. I have the DiveXtras deluxe camera mount for my DPV too. But my local centre isn't happy with me having all that kit on the boat at one time. LOL

    Edited by thetrickster
  11. What is that grid plate in the photo posted by EunJae?

  12. I've emailed ReefPhoto already about that cheeseboard plate - but no answer yet.

     

    I can see that adds a lot Alu to the unit (tray + this) thou

     

    It would be good, if they did a new FlexiTray - BUT with the plate already intergated. That would save all that excess, as the camera could bolt straight to that and the arms also... I wish I was mechanically minded and had the skills to make all this stuff :D

  13. Looking at the FlexiTray base - Looks like a relativity easy modification.. to get a tray on the back of it...

    post-43742-0-67815600-1417890417_thumb.jpg

  14. So looks like the nauticam balls fit on top of the handle's attatchment, where you screw it in on top of the grips?

  15. I have the rig at work. Will take some photos for you in a few hours.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. Thanks

  17. Hope these help

    post-43742-0-83896200-1444117583_thumb.jpg

    post-43742-0-31111500-1444117585_thumb.jpg

    post-43742-0-87431500-1444117586_thumb.jpg

  18. Richard, how much does the bar/handle weigh?

     

    Bye

  19. About 110g at a guess

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.