I was under the impression that the dome was made of glass based on the review here: http://www.lcimagery.com/2014/05/meikon/
In anycase, I should be able to test the housing this weekend at the pool. I also do have the inon ufl165 which I previously used with the s90, so I will test it with both.
I do not dive regularly anymore, hence the apparent downgrade and reluctance to invest in more expensive housing or in new wet lenses. I'm willing to jump for the fantasea, but the.meikon+dome was half the price of the fantasea after shipping, and seemed like a pretty good deal so long as it performs adequately.
I've spoken to the meikon guys on facebook and it seems like the aluminium housings would be "officially launched" during the hk dive expo in Dec.
From all the videos, they pick the dome by the sunshade with 2 fingers, making it look weightless. From video like this, they have a plastic protective film on the dome, which they only do on plastic items:
Also, on this video, the person said it is arcrylic:
Not sure if dome unit's thread is plastic or metal, which would likely affect its long term reliability, especially given that they recommend the port to be re-attached while underwater, where merging of the thread is alot harder.
Maybe the light weight allows it to be neutrally buyoant, unlike all the glass ones.
Officially launched? I was waiting for it for forever, and because I have an upcoming trip coming up real soon, couldn't wait any longer.
I do kind of feel screwed that the RX100 housing is one of the first housing they made, given the lack of features. I see newer plastic models having access to the control dial, double o-ring and internal water sensor.
Set the menu to go back to the last menu access. Then u can change between shutter and aperture. Pretty quickly. But I have it on aperture all the time as my shutter speed is quite fix. Esp for Marco.
The iso is set to the left button and the right button is for the flash.
Inon uwl h100 type 2 works well.. With no vignetting.
If u use a plug with an oring to plug into a flash, maybe just get a thinker oring will work.
I thought people said they if they are in M and can only control the aperture, they quickly jump to Shutter priority mode in order to change the Shutter speed, and jump back to M again. Less buttons to press than changing the function of the front ring.
My fiber optic plug barely squeezes into the flash adapter port, even before the o-ring touches the hole. Maybe you got one with larger diamter adapter ports?
Looking more closely at the camera's lens in relation to the port. The lens, instead of sitting flush to the lens port, is roughly 6-7mm behind it. This is likely why lenses like the UWL-100 vignettes. They could have easily avoided that issue by making the port glass sit more flush with the camera's lens. Maybe they are still learning on how to design these things for uses beyond the casual P&S divers.