Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Will Nikon D7200 fit straight in D7100 housings

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 43Posts
  • 43Replies

Read-only discussion

Will Nikon D7200 fit straight in D7100 housings

43 posts
  1. Does this mean that the D7200 will fit into the other D7100 housings that are on the market as well? It would indeed be exceptional that a camera upgrade not automatically necessitates a new housing.

     

    Same thing happened with the GH3 to GH4 jump. If you have good ergonomics, I'd rather camera manufacturers spend time/money improving features rather than paying for new molds or tooling.

  2.  

    I'd rather camera manufacturers spend time/money improving features rather than paying for new molds or tooling.

     

     

    It is a noble goal. But probably the most important feature for a lot of housing manufacturers is getting housings on sale ASAP. I have read so many examples on this forum of photographers saying my favourite is brand X, but I bought brand Y because it is on sale now.

  3.  

     

    It is a noble goal. But probably the most important feature for a lot of housing manufacturers is getting housings on sale ASAP. I have read so many examples on this forum of photographers saying my favourite is brand X, but I bought brand Y because it is on sale now.

    To start with it would be nice to have for example one standard DLSR camera model per camera manufecturer (e.g Nikon, Canon, etc.) with the same dimensions and the buttons on the same locations (standard means that the outside configuration should not change over say 5 years). With only the inside technology changing between manufecturers (camera brands) or depending on new technical developments. That indeed would be a noble goal. Because why would camera manufecturers take into account the wishes of people that put their cameras in UW housings?

    Edited by albert kok
  4. To start with it would be nice to have for example one standard DLSR camera model per camera manufecturer (e.g Nikon, Canon, etc.) with the same dimensions and the buttons on the same locations (standard means that the outside configuration should not change over say 5 years). With only the inside technology changing between manufecturers (camera brands) or depending on new technical developments. That indeed would be a noble goal. Because why would camera manufecturers take into account the wishes of people that put their cameras in UW housings?

     

    Chances are the marketing types will say that if you change the outside 'look' you'll get more sales even on an incremental update. Most candidate cameras (at least 95%?) will never get near an UW housing.

  5. Hi all,

     

    Just to further confirm that the Nikon D7200 will fit in the Nauticam D7100 housing:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/articles/stop-press-housing-compatibility-update

     

    I think that it is very likely that it will fit into the brands housings too as the D7200's size and button placements are identical to that of the D7100. Of course without physically trying it it is impossible to be absolutely sure.

     

    Adam

  6. Hi all,

     

    Just to further confirm that the Nikon D7200 will fit in the Nauticam D7100 housing:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/articles/stop-press-housing-compatibility-update

     

    I think that it is very likely that it will fit into the brands housings too as the D7200's size and button placements are identical to that of the D7100. Of course without physically trying it it is impossible to be absolutely sure.

     

    Adam

    I took my Ikelite D7100 housing to a camera shop and put in the D7200. Al push buttons seemed to fit nicely.

  7. I'd love to know as soon as anyone puts one into a Subal d7100 housing. Thanks!

  8. If it fits in one housing, I am sure it fits in all. They are all designed to take the same camera and Nikon have said it is externally the same.

  9. Thanks Alex. Then there shouldn't be any slight misalignments if it's an identical body? I'm really happy as it was hard to afford the d7100 upgrade for me last year, but now it looks like it was a really good decision. If it serves me as well as the d300/ND30 Subal has, it will be awesome! I love the d7100/Subal & now the d7200 will be even better. BTW, your review of Nikon d7100/Subal really helped me decide Alex, thanks!

    Edited by seagrant
  10. No problem. I’ll probably order a D7200 in the next few days or so, been too busy so far. And since I have the same housing as you - I can let you know 100% that it fits perfectly (which I 99.9999% fully expect it to) - if you are not instantly going to buy the camera.

     

    Alex

  11. My D7200 fits into my D7100 perfectly and all controls work. Not a surprise, but nice to confirm it.

     

    post-713-0-32100700-1427573606_thumb.jpg

  12. Thanks so much Alex! I will get the 7200 & keep the 7100 as my backup. It will be interesting to see how these new upgrades translate into underwater quality. I'm so glad it fits the ND7100! Is there a review on the horizon?

  13. What I heard is that the TTL protocol of Nikon D7200 has changed, meaning that TTL will not work in some D7100 housings like that of Ikelite.

    Edited by albert kok
  14. Thanks for this info. I just got the D7200 today and tried it in my D7100 Ikelite housing. All controls seem to work nicely. Havent tried TTL yet. But I wont mind if it did not work like in the D7100 housing, since I never use TTLpost-7335-0-40352700-1428426367_thumb.jpg

    Edited by albert kok
  15. Ikelite now has announced a new housing for the D7200. Customers with existing Ikelite D7100 housings can have an upgrade for $150 plus the cost of shipping to adapt their old TTL wiring.

    Edited by albert kok
  16. I don't recall but does anyone remember if the D7100 fit in the D7000 housing? Therefore maybe the 7200 would?

  17. Ohhh, nice try, Mr Veitch!

     

    Hope you are in top form and life in Bali is excellent.

     

    Best wishes from your old across-the-Straits neighbour

    :deadhorse:

  18. Hello Everyone,

     

    Albert Kok asks if the D7200 will fit into the other D7100 housings on the market.

     

    I have a D7200 and a Anthis Nexus D7100 housing; they are a perfect fit in every way.

     

    All the best,

    Barry

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.