Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

How do I avoid my wife murdering me when I come home with two more YS-250Pro strobes today?

Started by coinee ·

  • 31Posts
  • 31Replies

Read-only discussion

How do I avoid my wife murdering me when I come home with two more YS-250Pro strobes today?

31 posts
  1. I realize this is more of a psychological warfare problem than strictly technical, but after just receiving the package I have to wonder how I'm going to avoid death by skillet... What have you guys done in the past? Flowers? Chocolates? What's a good way of bribing your significant other?

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    (this post may or may not be serious)

  2. Keep most of your old camera equipment and be very disorganized. She will never notice as more parts are added to the 'pile'. Never let her see the money handling. Never explain what individual parts are for, she likely does not care anyway. Make a big deal of it when you sell old stuff on ebay, not mentioning that you are getting about 30% back from what you paid.

     

    I remember when my wife let me buy my first DSLR setup. She said, "I am glad to do this for you so we do not have to buy any more camera equipment." They are so cute when they say things like that.

     

    Lana Turner said it best

    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

     

    If you give her a lifestyle she is happy with, she is less likely to be unhappy with yours.

    While presented in humor, you might find useful facts in there somewhere.

    Edited by diver dave1
  3. Hide the skillet?

     

    Well done, Fabian. We're all proud of you - and now look forward to the topside pics of Mrs Fabian clearly enjoying the sight of your investments. "Yes dear, they really are an investment". Smack.

     

    I spent 35 years (count them) working for the British government and our message was always clear: never explain, never apologise. It's worth a try, Fabian.

     

    And this post may or not be serious either. (But being hit with a skillet is a bit serious). That'll leave a bruise.

     

    Two YS250s eh? Hmmmm, wonder what's next at the Fabian household.....

  4. I have always just avoided marriage, easier that way!

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  5. I knew that was why you weren't married - a cute fox, like you! :lol2:

  6. I have always just avoided marriage, easier that way!

    Maybe I won't be after this! I'll report back with my findings... :D

  7. Mike:

    As a happily married man all I can say is find a wife who is into video and make sure that her system is newer than yours.

    When you get two new strobes, she gets two new video lights.

    Bill

  8. I usually find it easier to start out talking about our next dive trip together, find something that is only sell there, a gem stone or such (takes alittle research on your part), and tell her maybe we should get her something while we are there. :dancing: Then, in the conversation about the dive trip, tell her how excited I am to try out my new strobe. Sometimes it just passes without comment, as they are thinking about the new bobble they will be getting. :pardon: Works for me........ well....sometime!

  9. Think Jewelry, esp. DIAMONDS and GOLD.

  10. Gentlemen, as a moderator I must in good conscious point out the blatantly sexist overtones of this thread. In my experience if you buy a new piece of gear your better half deserves one of equal value and will most likely out shoot you with it. The ladies who frequent Wetpixel aren't swayed by bobbles or gem stones. Now a new dome or some shiny new glass might get their attention.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  11. Good advice from Steve. Fundamentally its not a huge problem as we each have our hobbies and extravagances - I don't complain about hers, she does the same for me. When really in deep though, a tactic I've used is to agree to business class travel and fancier hotels on vacation. It doesn't matter so much to me but it REALLY matters to her.

  12. .... it only cost $50

  13. How much gold or diamonds does $50 buy?.......

  14. and will most likely out shoot you with it. The ladies who frequent Wetpixel aren't swayed by bobbles or gem stones.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

    No truer words will be found in this thread!!! :)

  15. Well, just treat her like youd like to be treated and how you would want her to act when she comes home with gear for whetever hobbies she is interested in. Of course, if you share the joy of uw photo with her, she might also start collecting uw gear which makes it easier and you get the added benefit of being able to share a great activity together. In general, the "chocolated and flowers" seldom works for women, or at least myself or any of my female friends. Its some odd old remnant from some 50s idea of what women like. Yet, needing to "give her something in return" to "make up" for bringing stobes is odd. Why not just tell her how excited you are about the new stobes and how you cant wait to take them out for a dive? Why not tell her that whatever they cost was worth it for you and if she has worries about what else it "displaced" in your economy, well have a good talk about that too to make sure everything is in "line". No gear is worth deterioration in a relationship, and these "optional" things we do in life we do for joy and for enhancing happiness in our life. If they come with a side of guilt it defeats the whole point of being involved in this gear-heavy activity. Just my female 2cents worth of thoughts.

  16. I was totally kidding. My wife is ridiculously supportive of my hobby, and all the other harebrained schemes I keep coming up with! (there's lots of them... ;))

  17. Even though I paid for my D810 and 14-24mm f2.8 with the proceeds from the sale of my Nauticam and D800, I still got the skillet last week...

     

    ... perhaps it was ordering the Audi?

  18. I was totally kidding. My wife is ridiculously supportive of my hobby, and all the other harebrained schemes I keep coming up with! (there's lots of them... ;))

     

    I too am a blessed man, though my wife's love for having a U\W camera in her hands seems to be fading alittle. She still is anxious to go through my pics after each dive, and her love for diving is still as strong as ever. We get to do several dive trips a year. As soon as we are done with one, we are looking for the next place to go, if one isn't already planned. Our next trip is to Turks and Cacaos. It will be our first DIVE trip with My son, daughter-in-law, her parents and all 4 grand kids!! :)

  19. My wife is our company accountant which puts me in a tough place every time I ‘need’ more stuff!

  20. I ended up with an uw camera company. Now it's all work related and a write off. At least that's what I tell her.

     

    We're very adept at spreading purchases for customers over many credit cards...

    Edited by JackConnick
WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.