Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Can you use Nauticam silicone on Sea&Sea blue o-ring?

Started by Marjo ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

Can you use Nauticam silicone on Sea&Sea blue o-ring?

26 posts
  1. Intrigued by this discussion, I looked at the olympus supplied grease PSOLG-3 (for the PT-EP13 housing, but maybe for others too). It says "Silicone grease". It says "Silicone Grease, only for Silicone O-Ring". I assume there's some subtlty I'm missing, since it seems to contradict the above chart. Probably the name doesn't really tell much about the chemical composition.

    There's no mileage in olympus or any other vendor helping you work out if a different grease will work for your o-rings and plenty of downside if they try to help and you misinterpret the advice and use the wrong material and cause the o-ring to swell. So you'll never get any other advice than "use our grease"

  2. Does anyone know, by chance, what the Zen branded grease is? I have a few containers of it and its appearance is such that I am fairly sure it is not Tribolube or Christo. I am switching to just taking nauticam grease in their little tubes or taking Tribolube in a contact lens case with me instead of 3-4 different brands for strobes, housing, ports, focus lights, etc. I doubt the Zen can fill that role, based on appearance, but maybe someone can tell me for sure.

  3. I don't have any so I can't test it, but Reef says it is compatible with buna, silicone and fluorosilicone. I wouldn't chance it, just use the tribolube

    Bill

  4. Life is much easier when all your O-rings are buna-n (black) & you have a tube of good quality silicone grease. There's really no need for all the pretty colors or multiple greases. First thing I did with my new S&S D2 strobes was to remove the blue o-ring on the battery cap & replace it with buna. Just make sure you have the correct o-ring sizes for replacement.

    Edited by jcclink28
  5. I approach it form the other end. I just use Tribolube or Nauticam grease on everything. But I don't like wasting all those other little tubes and jars of stuff so I sometimes carry those around and use them too. I don't want o be trying to figure out which O rings fit what if I don't have to. But your approach sounds logical.

  6. Being a CCR diver, I use Tribolube 71 on everything but I still have plenty of Nauticam greese left. Tribolube 71 is listed under the rebreather consumables at DGE.

     

    https://www.divegearexpress.com/consumablesand also most tech oriented dive stores.

    Edited by ozdiverguy
Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.