Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

More magnification ....

Started by michaelgeyer ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

More magnification ....

26 posts
  1. hi,

     

    im using the Olympus E-M1 with the 60mm Olympus and the Nauticam CMC.

     

    Can i get more magnification with the SMC stacked?

    Edited by michaelgeyer
  2. Probably it will focus inside the wet lens itself

  3. I hardly find use for the CMC on the 60 mm.

     

    Just crop...

  4. I hardly find use for the CMC on the 60 mm.

     

    Just crop...

     

    realy?

     

    Hairy Shrimp , Clownfish eggs ..... only this as example :)

  5. That's an excellent comparison. But is it relevant to an m4/3 system, for which the CMC is recommended? I confess I still haven't quite grasped the difference between the SMC and CMC . . .

  6. Smc is for DSLR with longer working distance. Used with the 60mm may focus inside the lens

  7. That's an excellent comparison. But is it relevant to an m4/3 system, for which the CMC is recommended? I confess I still haven't quite grasped the difference between the SMC and CMC . . .

    I use an SMC on a 12-50mm with my Olympus M10. The CMC did not exist yet.

     

    Smc is for DSLR with longer working distance. Used with the 60mm may focus inside the lens

    Not sure what a "longer working distance" is quantitatively, but with my 12-50mm (used in the macro 43mm mode, or at 50mm) the SMC is fine.

     

    I do not know if I'd be better off with a CMC than with my SMC, but it is not because the SMC doesn't work. I am curious about the possible advantages of a CMC as to working distance and magnification, of course.

  8. I was referring at the smc+multiplier suggestion which was made previously. The CMC is the best option for the 60mm however there is very little depth of field left to focus at apertures where the lens has still decent performance.

    The CMC is around 13.33 diopters I think the smc is equivalent to 11.

    With the CMC your working distance is around 2cm which is shorter than a lens you can stack

     

    In general with a lens like the Olympus that focusses at 9 cm in water you want a diopter with focal length shorter than 90mm or to say stronger than 11 as a minimum. The CMC being 13.33 is the strongest single lens on the market right now and I think in terms of magnification with the Olympus 60mm the strongest system on the market as far as i have seen

    Edited by Interceptor121
  9. So I take it I should not think about getting a Multiplier to add on to my SMC?

  10. My examples were for the Olympus 60mm. How much working distance have you got in front of the smc in water?

  11. Not much! Maybe 2-4 cm. More than one. Less than 5.

  12. Ok then you are likely to be maxed out

  13. This is a standard test for the Olympus 60mm macro, manually focused to 1:1 all photos taken by "rocking" the camera to obtain focus.

     

    #1 photo is the setup tapping a bill to a 35mm slide mount and onto a window for back lighting.

     

    #2 is 60mm at 1:1 17.3mm on the long side

     

    #3 is using a SubSea +10 C/U lens. Image approx. 13mm on the long side.

     

    #4 is using a SAGA +15 C/U lens, as you can see at +15 the image is 8mm on the long side I don't know how much more magnification you need.

     

    The Nauticam CMC-1 is by far the best C/U lens for the 60mm macro at apex. 8.65mm on the long side.

     

     

    post-2618-0-02832800-1453314491_thumb.jpg

    post-2618-0-57445400-1453314503_thumb.jpg

    post-2618-0-80346500-1453314517_thumb.jpg

    post-2618-0-02424200-1453314530_thumb.jpg

  14. Ok then you are likely to be maxed out

    I don't doubt what you say, but I wonder how you figure that out? What are the rules of thumb or the calculations? How much working distance would I need to make the Multiplier valuable?

  15. 100/minimum distance = diopter power when your total distance is shorter than the wet lens you put on is 100% it won't work if there is a bit of room depends. That's why a short lens like the CMC with high power is better than lenses like the subsee that are very long. The real focal length is on the back of the glass so the longer lens takes just working distance away

  16. Well, thank you for the response, but I do not understand what you are saying in your first sentence. (I've tried putting commas and periods in various places in your response, but nothing I do turns it into meaning for me.) I cannot decipher what units "distance" needs to be in to make your formula helpful; are you using centimeters? The comments about CMC and SubSee are interesting, but since I have an SMC I do not know how to use your information. I have this feeling that if I knew enough to understand your response, I would not have had to ask the question! Thanks anyway.

  17. Centimetres so your 10 diopters has a focal length of 100/10=10cm or 100mm. So if your camera is focussed at infinity your working distance is 10-length of your wet lens in cm

  18. Centimetres so your 10 diopters has a focal length of 100/10=10cm or 100mm. So if your camera is focussed at infinity your working distance is 10-length of your wet lens in cm

    Thank you; that makes sense. Much appreciated. How many diopter is the SMC? I can't find that anywhere.
  19. I think is around 90mm or 11.1

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.