Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

3D Printed Nauticam Float Arm Bayonet Holder

Started by thetrickster ·

  • 28Posts
  • 28Replies

Read-only discussion

3D Printed Nauticam Float Arm Bayonet Holder

28 posts
  1. When all my new WWL and bayonet stuff arrived. I released I had no where to put the CMC, unless I added another non floaty arm. Not ideal.

     

    More 3D design and printing later, I have this:

     

    post-43742-14547774994147.jpg

     

    You need the arm holder. But remove the 6 screws and using this part you can zip tie the holder on to one of the 60mm diameter arms, like this:

     

    post-43742-1454777655769.jpg

     

    post-43742-14547776708379.jpg

     

    I'm using my spare 67mm screw in holder for prototyping, but it's the same screw layout.

     

    Need to refine the hole place. Two offset a little. But it's done.

     

    Will link to the finished downloadable file. Once I've fixed it.

     

     

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. Well it's been a few weeks and many trail printing later. But it's finished.

     

    Learned that printing at different orientations produces better prints.

     

    post-43742-14565581294441.jpg

     

    post-43742-14565581474184.jpg

     

    post-43742-1456558172466.jpg

     

    The hardest part was getting the mounting holes in the right place, which was weird as I used polygons to get it all aligned. In the end it was just a trail and error on adjusting by hand.

     

    The file is on www.thingiverse.com/thing:1374378

     

    If you want one printed. Let me know.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. Wow, that's amazing, Richard. Well done!

  4. Very nice.

    .

    These machines really fascinate me, but I don't think that I have enough projects to justify purchasing one and learning all the tricks. I wonder if there's room for a niche business making "one off" projects using these?

  5. Thanks guys,

     

    SwiftFF5 I think you have hit the nail on the head on why these haven't exploded into people's homes as predicted.

     

    I've probably printed 4 or 5 final things that work as I want in the 12+ months I've had it - not a high yield!

     

    They are slow to print and probably 90% of your prints are incorrect so you have to keep reprinting until it's right. It's fun though.

     

    There is a guy in the UK at deepshots.co.uk who sells these sort of niche things and the quality of his stuff is pretty good! (I think he has a Ultimaker printer which is better than mine)

     

    But I'm happy to give away the 3D designs and print stuff if someone wants something. We are a small bunch, underwater photographers. So happy to share.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. Well, if you are interested, or your friend is interested (there may also be places in the US that do this sort of thing, I hadn't actually thought of it until now), what I am currently looking for is a bungee mount for my backup wrist computer like this:

    .

    https://www.divegearexpress.com/dss-bungee-mount-for-dg03-w-cord

    .

    No-one seems to make one for my Oceanic computer, though. It would seem as if a 3D printed version might be the answer.

    .

    .

    Edited by SwiftFF5
  7. Well, if you are interested, or your friend is interested (there may also be places in the US that do this sort of thing, I hadn't actually thought of it until now), what I am currently looking for is a bungee mount for my backup wrist computer like this:

    .

    https://www.divegearexpress.com/dss-bungee-mount-for-dg03-w-cord

    .

    No-one seems to make one for my Oceanic computer, though. It would seem as if a 3D printed version might be the answer.

    .

    .

    That DSS bungee mount is flexible, made of what feels like a silicon rubber material. Not the kind of thing one prints at home, I don't think.

    Edited by tursiops
  8. Well, if you are interested, or your friend is interested (there may also be places in the US that do this sort of thing, I hadn't actually thought of it until now), what I am currently looking for is a bungee mount for my backup wrist computer like this:

    .

    https://www.divegearexpress.com/dss-bungee-mount-for-dg03-w-cord

    .

    No-one seems to make one for my Oceanic computer, though. It would seem as if a 3D printed version might be the answer.

    .

     

    .

    u looking for this? http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/category/Bungee-Mounts-120 fyi, i googled the link.

    Edited by marcw
  9. That DSS bungee mount is flexible, made of what feels like a silicon rubber material. Not the kind of thing one prints at home, I don't think.

    .

    Oh, before I forget, while looking into commercial sources, I found that Shapeways has a flexible or elastic sort of material for 3D printing. Its not clear if it would be flexible enough, though.

    .

    http://www.shapeways.com/materials/strong-and-flexible-plastic?li=nav

    .

  10. marcw - thanks for the link to Pirhana manufacturing. I contacted them, got an email back very, very quickly even though it was on the weekend. I have purchased a bungee mount from them. If the quality of the mount is as good as their customer service, I'll be very happy.

  11. Just had a set printed on a Form 2 printer last night in their tough resin... Looks like they came out pretty good! Thanks for doing this, I'll let you know how it works....

     

    image003.png

  12. whoa!!! They look amazing.

  13. Very nice.

    .

    These machines really fascinate me, but I don't think that I have enough projects to justify purchasing one and learning all the tricks. I wonder if there's room for a niche business making "one off" projects using these?

    FYI, if you look around there are now online shops that will print your items for you. Not to bad of a price, but if your want to print, tweek, print again, it will get pricy.

  14. Just had Shapeways print one for me. Just got it. Nice! About $19 shipped.

    Thanks, @theTrickster!

    Edited by tursiops
  15. Just had Shapeways print one for me. Just got it. Nice! About $19 shipped.

    Thanks, @theTrickster!

    Well, I finally got around to mounting the printed holder to my float arm.

     

    Bummer, I have the bigger float arms (90mm), not the 60mm arms the holder is designed for. I missed that little detail in my excitment about the concept.

    Worse, Nauticam seems to have discontinued their carbon fiber float arms, so I'm not even sure I'll be able to buy one of the 60mm versions.

  16. Well, if you are interested, or your friend is interested (there may also be places in the US that do this sort of thing, I hadn't actually thought of it until now), what I am currently looking for is a bungee mount for my backup wrist computer like this:

    .

    https://www.divegearexpress.com/dss-bungee-mount-for-dg03-w-cord

    .

    No-one seems to make one for my Oceanic computer, though. It would seem as if a 3D printed version might be the answer.

    .

    .

    You may want to look at the Hollis DG03 bungee mount. It may well fit your oceanic computer, since they are made by the same manufacturer and they tweak the firmware and trim colors between the various "brands" to differentiate them.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. You may want to look at the Hollis DG03 bungee mount. It may well fit your oceanic computer, since they are made by the same manufacturer and they tweak the firmware and trim colors between the various "brands" to differentiate them.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

     

    Thanks. I was actually able to find what I needed at www.piranhadivemfg.com Someone here gave me a tip to look at them (thanks, whoever you are, I'm sorry but I forgot who it was). They were great to deal with, and had exactly what I needed.

  18.  

    Thanks. I was actually able to find what I needed at www.piranhadivemfg.com Someone here gave me a tip to look at them (thanks, whoever you are, I'm sorry but I forgot who it was). They were great to deal with, and had exactly what I needed.

    Glad to hear it. I bought several items from Piranha Dive over the years. Always had a good experience.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. Hi guy

     

    I know this post was long time ago but i just come here to say thank you to "Thetricker" the owner of this post your works so amazing!!!

    I downloaded your file and print it to use with my carbon fibre float arm. Actually my float arms diameter is 80 mm. so i have to fix it to suite them.

    Then i post my file here if someone who owned 80 mm. float.

     

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/11yUGMvQOuFsFfdlnTxGMH74wgMNSMwzl/view?usp=sharing

     

    Also here are the pics when assembly on my carbon fibre float arms.

     

    21469.jpg

     

    21470.jpg

     

    21471.jpg

     

    21473.jpg

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.