Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

packing and transporting my rig

Started by buddy ·

  • 273Posts
  • 273Replies

Read-only discussion

packing and transporting my rig

273 posts
  1. The Samsonite F'Lite works well and protected my equipment. I packed 2 Ikelite dslr housings, 3 DS 125 plus 2 spare batteries, arms and clamps for 3 rigs, an 8 inch dome port and 2 macro ports, 9 battery chargers, an international 3 plug powerstrip, tools, and 3 synch cords. plus an abundance of extra padding. I didn't even have to squish anything. The total weight was still 60 pounds but this is better than 80.

     

    I don't know how much the padded dividers weigh. I would guess about 3 pounds as they are pretty light weight foam padding with lightweight nylon covering. The specs on the Pelican site shows that the pluck foam weighs about 6 pounds. (the pluck foam is really not suited for underwater photogs as it disintegrates with use and wastes space). The dividers use a denser foam but much less square inches of it.

     

    I also reused my Pelican 1650 lid divider, which helped me clear space in my carryon Tenba packpack which carries 2 dslr bodies, 3 lenses, laptop, critical chargers, iPod, diopter set, etc.

     

    I'll be using this setup again in my future travels.

  2. Used this Samsonite FlyLite 31" on my La PaZ trip.

     

    My complete Subal D2X rig with 9" dome, FP, 3 DS 125 strobes with 2 batteries and various accessories.

     

    Weight was 48 lbs (50 lb limit)

     

    I used the foam from a pelican 1650

     

    A hard case with an O ring and 3 latches.

     

    I used a Pelican 1510 as my carry on. It has wheels and can fit easily in most over heads or under the seat.

     

    I carried my lap top in this Otter case.

     

    I carried it as my personnal item.

     

     

    It is their medium size laptop case. It will hold a 15" lap top. This is with a 12" G4.

     

    I had no problem with the pelican as my carry on and the Otter case as my personal item. The limit for AA to Cabo was 2 50 lbs checked bags and that is what I carried.

    post-72-1157833804_thumb.jpg

    post-72-1157833916_thumb.jpg

    post-72-1157834070_thumb.jpg

    Edited by davephdv
  3. Having returned a week ago from Roatan, I'm happy to report that my Lowepro CompuTrekker AW backpack served me well in carrying my new Sea & Sea DX-D200/Nikon D200 rig on the trip. Concerned about the 22-lb. limit for carry-ons that was posted on TACA's website, I bought the Samsonite F'lite suitcase to substitute for my Pelican 1650, heeding the advice in this thread. I thought I'd use the F'lite suitcase as my main gear carrier, but I just didn't feel too trusting that TSA wouldn't inspect and mishandle the precious cargo within. Instead, the F'lite case became my regular suitcase for clothing, toilietries, and the durable photo goods (strobe arms, clamps, batteries, charger, etc.), and other items, the bulk of those actually packed inside a 48-can Igloo soft-sided cooler, separate from the clothing.

     

    Why the cooler? Well, firstly, Anthony's Key Resort has day trips to Barbaret and Cayos Cochinos, either of which if taken, would've found me wanting some sort of protection for an extra port and lens, and perhaps my Nikon D70, and other items. I could've used my backpack but that was really more than I needed and I also preferred not getting it wet, which would likely happen amidst all the wet divers and gear onboard. The cooler was a cheap and lightweight solution which I deliberately bought in a size large enough to accommodate my two Inon Z-240 stropes and DX-D200 housing w/o arms, that alone right around 22 lbs. This facilitated an in-airport repack if needed, pulling the loaded cooler from the F'lite case and replacing it with my Lowepro backpack. I could empty the items from the cooler that were packed in smaller pouches, laying them loose in the suitcase as space allowed, then put the camera housing & strobes into the cooler and that would be my carry-on. Of course, I could've kept the backpack as my carry-on and moved items from it also, but I felt it might give the lenses and other photo gear better protection in the suitcase than would the cooler.

     

    But, having never recalled TACA weighing carry-ons and counting on that to remain true, such was the case. My backpack was about 34 lbs. as I'd finally packed it (similar to what I show here but with D70 body and Epson P2000 added, all arms/clamps/batteries moved to the F'lite case) and with my Dell laptop carried as my separate personal item. As for using the cooler, the low season at AKR didn't enough guests for a day trip, so I never needed the cooler. So, I guess the trip was largely a practice exercise for how I'd transport all my gear. Meanwhile, TSA left my F'lite case alone but did dump my dive bag for an inspection, repacking it rather carelessly. Fortunately most items in the bag were tolerant of such neglectful handling.

     

    Daryl

  4. I intend to carry on my 9in Sea and Sea Dome when I travel and have heard that some use a tupperware like cake dish to protect their dome port. I have searched many shopping malls and such, but have not come across an ideal container for this task. Can anyone offer advice on a specic product that they use?

     

     

    Many thanks!

    John

  5. Hello everyone. Currently looking at a better/lighter way to transport my rig.

     

    How do you lock the Samsonite F'lite with Zip Ties?

     

    The locks aren't TSA locks, right?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Joel

    Newmediasoup, LLC

  6. Will a pelican 1560 work as a carry on, or is it too big?

  7. Will a pelican 1560 work as a carry on, or is it too big?

     

    I have used a 1560 as a carry on in over ten dive trips, but it is definitely over the legal size limit. Qantas charged me extra baggage fees, made me check it in since they will only allow 15 kg as a carry on. Other than that, only one other time I did check it in when it would not fit into the overhead compartment of a smaller USAir jet, since it will not fit under any planes seat (to wide and high). I just purchased a Lowepro roller 3 that I will use as a check in for my big Subal D2Xs housing. It looks like a regular soft side suitcase and does not say good stuff inside like a Pelican case does. 45 pounds for a 1560 and another 45 pounds for a backpack with body, lens and laptop is getting to be just to much to lug around as a carry on.

  8. What are people doing to pack these monster 8" dome ports in their carryon's? Pics if you have them please... :P

     

    Thanks,

    JP

    Edited by johnspierce
  9. i found a small rubbermaid bucket and cut it down to the right height for an almost perfect fit to my 8 inch aquatica dome with shade

     

    also found a plastic container lid that provides protection for the macro port and fits under the port cover

     

    you need accurate dimensions or the ports and go to a store or two that has a good selection of plastic houseware stuff

  10. What are people doing to pack these monster 8" dome ports in their carryon's? Pics if you have them please... :P

     

    Thanks,

    JP

     

     

    I have an 8" dome port. I bought a Rubbermaid cake container that it fits into perfectly. I pad the cake container with a little foam, and it goes right into a checked bag, either the bag with clothes or the dive gear, protected within the BC. Has made at least 5 dive trips without a single concern. The cake container is rigid enough, the right size and weighs very little!

     

    The Macro port usually goes in with the housing/strobes/accessories into the carry-on Porter case.

  11. it looks like the F Lite has been discontinued - there are a few 31 inch models in stock here and but i couldn't find the smaller bag (except one online which i don't have time for). looks like it has been replaced by the Dura Lite which does not yet seem to be in stock anywhere.

     

    so i bought a 25 inch Delsey of similar design which is the right size for me as i only have one housing plus dome and macro, etc. only problem with the Delsey is it has four casters instead of the two wheels -- doesn't look as rugged and won't be very good on rough pavement, curbs, etc.

     

    just starting to cut some 1/2 inch plastic foam padding that i've had lying around - may rip out the lining in the lower half and glue it in

  12. Since weight restrictions and carry on luggage has become a major issue with the airlines, I've switched from hard case check it to XS Scuba roller bag the fits in overhead compartment with ease.

     

    Jim www.jcscuba.com

  13. Since weight restrictions and carry on luggage has become a major issue with the airlines, I've switched from hard case check it to XS Scuba roller bag the fits in overhead compartment with ease.

     

    Jim www.jcscuba.com

     

    This one?

    http://www.xsscuba.com/wh_carryon.html

     

    How much and what can you fit into it?

  14. I used to carry my underwater housing in a Lowepro Computrekker or Photo Trekker backpack. VERY sturdily built, very well padded - they've been carrying my camera gear across the world for years without a single problem to date. The only problem with them - they are heavy (3kg + when empty) and the external volume is much larger than the internal volume, due to the padding - which means they look large as well. That's not so good for carry-ons.

     

    I just replaced this with a ThinkTank Airport Ultralight - their smaller backpack in the Airport series. Empty, the bag only weights 1 kg. It isnt as well padded as the Lowepro but it is physically a lot smaller - it is almost the same size as my laptop briefcase when I have it stuffed with laptop, papers, books, etc. And this sucker just EATS up gear.

     

    In the TT bag, I can fit my entire macro setup:

    - 1 DSLR body with 50mm lens attached

    - Aquatica housing with Inon viewfinder attached (it is removable but I prefer not to take it on/off)

    - Aquatica macro port with Backscatter 2x adapter attached

    - 100mm macro lens

    - spacer ring for the 100m macro

    - 2 Inon Z240 strobes

    - 1 Fisheye LED focus light

    - memory card, spare batteries

     

    If need be, I could even slip my Macbook on the outside (I usually carry my laptop in a separate laptop case, where I also put books, Archos video player and various odds and ends).

     

    Along with this, I also bought a National Geo Medium Backpack - retro looks, not the most water-resistant of fabrics but again, a bag that is a lot bigger inside than you would guess from the outer dimensions. I could probably fit the dome port in the TT case if I wanted to go WA instead - if I want to carry my entire setup, then the NG Backpack carries the dome port and WA lenses.

     

    I actually had the backpack weighed while leaving Bangkok, and it clocked in at 12kg - over the limit but not egregiously so, and when I pointed out that it was camera gear, they let it slide.

     

    The only downside is that I now rely on one zipper to keep all my camera gear in place. With the Lowepro, there is an additional clip that can be fastened, which prevents the backpack from opening if the zippers fail or if you forget to close them up (before I had the Lowepro, I've wrecked a P&S housing this way; the Lowepro saved a repeat performance, this time with my 500/4, 100-400, 1D2 and 40D... my sphincter still clenches when I think of that).

     

    With the TT, I am a little paranoid about all my gear crashing out. The zippers do look quite well made, but perhaps I'll get a locking camband to cover it.

     

    It is my first TT bag (I'm a lifelong Lowepro guy for a bunch of reasons) and I'm very impressed.

     

    Vandit

    post-4996-1213881924_thumb.jpg

    post-4996-1213882686_thumb.jpg

  15. I have just purchased the Think Tank Airport International (also replaced my Lowepro) and I have to admit it's pretty impressive. In preparation for my trip to the keys on Saturday I have packed BOTH my macro and WA setup AND a second body. In it I have:

    Subal D200 housing with one body in it

    FE 2 Domeport

    Macroport

    2 Inons

    2nd D200 body with 17-35 lens attached, and SB800 flash

    10-17, 60 and 100mm lenses

    As you can see I still have tons of room for arms, cables and other small stashable stuff.

    And it's a roller / backpack. Of course I'm only driving to the Keys so weight and space are not an issue this week, but I thought it's a nice dry run for Sipadan later this year.

    post-5478-1213885083_thumb.jpg

    Edited by loftus
  16. So the "ultralight" doesn't fit the dome... and the "International" is that an 8" dome you have?

    Edited by DavidScubadiver
  17. The problem is the rules vary so much between airlines. Nearly all the flights to the Red Sea from the UK are charter flights and these are very strict on luggage allowance. Hand luggage is limited to 5kg and this is strictly enforced.

    I have been travelling for a number of years with my housings in the hold. So long as they are well protected in a rigid box, with a padded lining, I have never hgad a problem. Except of course last year when the UK baggage handlers forgot to load my camera case on the plane when going to Egypt. Quite a pain when you are joining a liveaboard!

    Alex

  18. it looks like the F Lite has been discontinued - there are a few 31 inch models in stock here and but i couldn't find the smaller bag (except one online which i don't have time for). looks like it has been replaced by the Dura Lite which does not yet seem to be in stock anywhere.

     

    so i bought a 25 inch Delsey of similar design which is the right size for me as i only have one housing plus dome and macro, etc. only problem with the Delsey is it has four casters instead of the two wheels -- doesn't look as rugged and won't be very good on rough pavement, curbs, etc.

     

    just starting to cut some 1/2 inch plastic foam padding that i've had lying around - may rip out the lining in the lower half and glue it in

     

    Picking nits, the Samsonite F Lite 31 & the Duralite 29 are both total up to 66" and weight 15 or 15.6 lbs. Current regs. for checked baggage without extra charges, is total dimension of not more than 62" and 50 lbs. I have been using plastic trunks purchased from The Container Store. They have a set of small wheels built into one end. I pad the interior with a thin foam ground pad and reinforce the hinges with nylon and duck tape (looks lovely!). Total dimension = 61.25" and less than 5 lbs. or so. Every few years I replace my travel trunk. They are cheap (~$30 USD) so, I get several at a time. I use them for gear storage.

     

    YMMV

  19. I need to lighten up my carry on load. currently I take a backpack for a light weight jacket, magazines, Ipod, glasses, apple ibook, etc, and I carry a pelican with a seatool housing, 60 mm and 17-17 mm, inon strobe and a canon xti. Those of you who use a Think Tank would the smaller Airport Airstream give me enough space? I just go back from a dive vacation and it was a pain with two roller suitcases, the pelican and backpack. I like the versatility of a backpack as I tend to throw alot of stuff in it but I really would like to make things easier.

     

    Thanks.

     

    Wendy

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.