Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Sony a7s II underwater use -- All parameters

Started by GeoPaul7 ·

  • 319Posts
  • 319Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony a7s II underwater use -- All parameters

319 posts
  1.  

    Are you going to Indonesia without a macro lens?

     

    I will be doing 2 live aboard trips on the new boat "Ilike" http://www.dive-away-liveaboards.com/en/ilike

    From 5 til 15 oktober Saumlaki - Ambon

    From 18 till 28 oktober Ambon - Triton Bay

     

    Really looking forward to the trips and using my new toy :-)

    You guys are really helpful, thanks!

    I will keep you updated about the 90mm macro

     

    Greetings Bruno

     

    Well Bruno. I don't think I will have time to learn how to shoot macro video before I go, but who knows? My fiance has a GoPro and wants to get some video lights, and perhaps we can use that? I am very much looking forward to going to Indonesia! I will check out those liveaboards. They look nice!

  2.  

     

    Hi Ammar: What is it you did there again? is this something you can do when you are color correcting on something like Premier Pro? I am not following exactly what it is you did and what software you used. Can you please explain that? Many thanks.

     

    Yep.. Raja Ampat on board the Aggressor on Oct. 5.

     

    Well, in my colors test, I attempted to proof that magic or any red filter on the Sony will only add more magenta cast to the images.

     

    http://s20.postimg.org/b5j9sagx9/Colors.jpg

     

    The box to the left is the original background color of your latest movie. The box in the middle has %10 red, which I added in Photoshop on top of the original color as if magic/red filter was used, and notably you can see that the background turned to magenta. The box to the right has a cyan filter effect, %10 on top of the original background color, that I plan to test UW through the cam WB color matrix as it did make the original background color more blue.

     

    So in essence, my theory is, and it is a theory thus far, that blending red with the grade of blue that Sony white balance or auto white balance produces will result in undesirable magenta cast in the background, and the fix is to add a cyan by using the cam white balance color matrix (not auto white balance). Initially I will set the WB color matrix to B2 and take it from there.

    Edited by Ammar
  3. Well video is finish.... just waiting Vimeo to finish uploading....

  4. HELP! AAAHHHH! I am showing you two clips, which demonstrate the inexplicable reappearance of a horrible magenta cast in my footage. I was doing well shooting on my trip. The conditions changed from day to day but I was becoming comfortable with shooting underwater automatic white balance. I had decided that a red filter really did not help. You must use the password "Tinamou" to see the clip. You should watch what happened to me.

     

    https://vimeo.com/183565948

     

     

    I decided to take off the Nauticam "Wet Wide Angle" lens, and shoot with my 28 mm lens, to make portraits of fish and schools of fish. So I approached a school of Schoolmaster Snapper. They were yellow, and I suppose the background was blue -- a complimentary color.

     

    For whatever reason, it is possible that the yellow of the snapper affected the algorithm of the underwater auto white balance, and gave a magenta cast. The takeaway for me is that there is a computer program working in your camera, at all times, trying to guess what colors it should be representing. These change depending on what else is happening with the sensor.

     

    WHAT ARE OTHERS' IDEA OR THOUGHTS FOR WHAT HAPPENED HERE? Very strange. I think I may experiment tomorrow with just programming the temperature and cast of the white balance. But of course the conditions change all the time.

     

    Can hardly wait to get back in the water to see if this happens again, or if I made a mistake.

     

    Since I already made the little film, here is one on a turtle we saw today. No password needed.

     

     

     

    Thanks,

     

    George

  5. Hot from oven.... diving in Cabo de Palos.

     

    https://vimeo.com/183559055

     

    ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! Alfredo, I have not seen all your films but certainly this must be among the very best -- all aspects. The exposure and color very well conveyed the different lighting and mood of the environment. This must be a wonderful place to dive! And, as always, your editing is among the very best. And I love your choice of music. I bet you are a musician of some sort, or at least a lover of music. Great job. What equipment did you use. I see you had some powerful lights. Was it the a7s II, as well? Thanks for posting. You must have worked non-stop editing this thing!

  6. Thanks GP7. Im glad you liked. This is the A7RII.

     

    In 7 days of diving I used 7 diferent settings, so my conclusion is you can get almost same results in many ways. The easy one is NO PP, saturation -1, exposure -0,7EV-1EV. Torches are a MUST. Above 12m AUWB is not doing bad.

    I wish i were a musician and could compose my own music.

    The dive site is awesome. Is ranked as best diving spot of Europe. But is hard to dive due to strong currents. If you dive and shoot here you will be able to do it everywhere.

     

    BUT still learning my camera and my shooting skills and learning from all off you, so do not stop shooting and remember this is a GREAT camera.

    Edited by TaxiDiver14
  7. Hot from oven.... diving in Cabo de Palos.

     

    https://vimeo.com/183559055

     

    This is a truly stunning video TaxiDiver. Beautiful filming, edit and indeed soundtrack choice. I didn't know that in Spain there is such a beautiful diving site. I was in Spain last May and I wanted to dive there so I went to the Canary Islands. Nothing like Cabo de Palos for sure.

  8. HELP! AAAHHHH! I am showing you two clips, which demonstrate the inexplicable reappearance of a horrible magenta cast in my footage. I was doing well shooting on my trip. The conditions changed from day to day but I was becoming comfortable with shooting underwater automatic white balance. I had decided that a red filter really did not help. You must use the password "Tinamou" to see the clip. You should watch what happened to me.

     

    https://vimeo.com/183565948

     

    Couldn't open the vid with the password.

     

    Well guys, we should all do one day a dive trip together, the Sony team :)

  9.  

    This is a truly stunning video TaxiDiver. Beautiful filming, edit and indeed soundtrack choice. I didn't know that in Spain there is such a beautiful diving site. I was in Spain last May and I wanted to dive there so I went to the Canary Islands. Nothing like Cabo de Palos for sure.

    The best places in Canary islands are La Graciosa Marine Reserve and El Hierro island. Dont know where you dove but those are beautifull dive sites.

     

    Couldn't open the vid with the password.

     

    Well guys, we should all do one day a dive trip together, the Sony team :)

    October ill be in Simillan and 24 november Red Sea in Simply the best route....
  10. The best places in Canary islands are La Graciosa Marine Reserve and El Hierro island. Dont know where you dove but those are beautifull dive sites.

    October ill be in Simillan and 24 november Red Sea in Simply the best route....

     

     

    I have taken the password off my "Reappearance of Magenta" video so that you can view it. I request and urge that you do so, because I need your help determining what the heck happened. Here is the link again:

     

    https://vimeo.com/183565948

     

    Many thanks!

    Edited by GeoPaul7
  11. Well I tink I know whats happening there. Is a matter of depth. At the begining of the clip you stay above the fishes and is doing well. When you go deeper I think that will be deeper than 12-15m WB fails.

     

    Why dont you try this ?....

    Till 12m AUWB. Deeper use 9900K . Matrix A and M looking camera screen.

  12. Well I tink I know whats happening there. Is a matter of depth. At the begining of the clip you stay above the fishes and is doing well. When you go deeper I think that will be deeper than 12-15m WB fails.

     

    Why dont you try this ?....

    Till 12m AUWB. Deeper use 9900K . Matrix A and M looking camera screen.

     

    Alfredo: I don't think that is the problem. I think the color of the water shifts depending on what else is in the frame. Not ideal, but not fatal either. I am putting together a film of our second dive this morning. It was shot almost entirely with ambient light at 60 feet, and then 30 feet. I did try different white balance modes today, and really could not get any that looked as good on the monitor as AUWB. More later.

     

    Okay, here is the ambient light film I made of our second dive today. The dive site is named "Hepp's Pipeline." Most of this was filmed at about 60 feet. I think this shows the light gathering ability of the a7s II.

     

    Edited by GeoPaul7
  13. What ISO are you using ??

  14. George, if I may just add my 2 cents:

     

    First, Caribbean waters can be a real bitch if it comes to white balance due to their very intense blue color. I remember having some issues as well when diving Turks & Caicos 2 years ago - and I wasnt the only one.

     

    Second, I would tend to agree to your theory, that the yellow shool of fish was causing some offsetting adjustment in auto-mode, resulting in that magenta cast. I am not convinced a meter or 2 difference in depth during the clip on its own is causing such a heavy shift, but it may be a contributing factor.

     

    Third, I assume this was shot in ambient light without a red filter? I would suggest using at least a red-filter. Also well worth trying out different ones. I have used Magic Filters as well but I like the results I'm getting from URPRO filters more - maybe a matter of taste. In fact, these day I am not using a red filter but a magenta filter which on the AX100 in AWB gives a better color balance (details are outlined in that article by Pete Lightowler that someone already here posted before).

     

    Now you may say: I already got too much magenta in my picture, how can a magenta filter help? Scientifically maybe correct, but this is not really about science but trial-and-error ;-)

     

    And of course a good set of video lights almost always helps. Not on the widest wide angle shots but on most else.

     

    NB: that turtle really looks quite interested in and approving of your equipment :-)

     

    good luck!

  15. Shot this in June in Lembeh with the A7R2. Still on the steep learning curve for video.

     

    [media]

    [/media]
    Edited by howeikwok
  16. Shot this in June in Lembeh with the A7R2. Still on the steep learning curve for video.

     

    [media]

    [/media]
    VERY VERY VERY GOOOOOD.

    I asume you are using a tripod and the FE 90mm GM.

  17. Shot this in June in Lembeh with the A7R2. Still on the steep learning curve for video.

     

    WOW! This is a one beautiful macro shooting video.

  18. VERY VERY VERY GOOOOOD.

    I asume you are using a tripod and the FE 90mm GM.

     

    Yes. I'm using a tripod plate and legs from I-DAS. Using the Sony 90/2.8 macro and A7R2 in a Nauticam housing with the Small HD 501 monitor. Using video lights from this new company called Weefine. Supposed to be 3800 lumens with CRI of 95. Also using the FIT +10 diopters as well as the Noodilab Moby diopter.

  19. What ISO are you using ??

     

    What ISO are you using ??

     

    It depends. Here is what I have been doing with ambient light lately. I focus, and if the distance to the subject has not changed much, for a wide angle shot, I leave it as is and shoot at f8. I then adjust the ISO to get the proper exposure. This varies greatly depending on lighting conditions. I pretty much guage that by how things look in the monitor, but check the preliminary exposure with what the meter is telling me. Like you, I am tending to -.3 to -.7 exposure. It also depends on what your subject is. If it is the foreground illuminated with video lights, then that has to be properly exposed even if the background is underexposed.

    Edited by GeoPaul7

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.