Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Advice for a beginner?

Started by Jason_D ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

Advice for a beginner?

27 posts
  1. Hi Jason

     

    It can depend to an extent on the size of your strobes! I never found a problem using a 60mm close up with 2x Inon Z240 strobes. You can tuck them really close up to the port and there shouldn't be a problem.

  2. I'm using an Ultramax UXDS-1 at the moment, and will be adding a 2nd one soon. I'd love to upgrade to a ttl setup with smaller strobes one day, but I'll have to wait for some cheap stuff to come up in the classifieds though!

     

    The other thing I'm considering adding is a vacuum tester. i read the thread on flooded housings, and it seems at least 90% are user error. I'd definitely fall into that category!

  3. Do you have any issues with lighting, or is it straight forward due to the strobe arms and how much the under water strobes can be moved?

     

    I don't... You need to be aware of how you are placing the strobes of course, but that's no different than any other lens. I shoot a lot of WA at home and my strobes are out as far as I can get them, and pointing away from "straight" be maybe 30°. With macro, I have them pulled in fairly close the housing, and pointing (generally) somewhat inward unless the water clarity is horrible. I've always found lighting macro to be relatively simple with a little practice, simply because there is so little water between subject and lens...

  4. That's good to know. I think I will invest on a 60mm macro setup. I know the theory of strobe positioning, but putting it into practice will be where it counts.

     

    Do the different ball mounts and arms make any difference in how smooth and easy the positioning of the strobes are? my current ones seem very "clicky" if you will, not very smooth at all.

  5. That's good to know. I think I will invest on a 60mm macro setup. I know the theory of strobe positioning, but putting it into practice will be where it counts.

     

    Do the different ball mounts and arms make any difference in how smooth and easy the positioning of the strobes are? my current ones seem very "clicky" if you will, not very smooth at all.

    Hi Jason,

     

    If your strobes have variable power settings i would recommend using those along with manual adjustment of Shutter, Aperture, ISO instead of getting a TTL converter. Depending on the subject color and background TTL may not always give you great results. Also it may not work for getting dark backgrounds. Sometimes images look better with the light being a little under. Just my two bits FWIW :-)

     

    Diggy

  6. Hey Jason

     

    I'm not sure if this has come up before or not, but a couple of very good books that it might be worth borrowing/buying, if you can, which will help:

     

    Alex Mustard's "Underwater Photography Masterclass"

    Martin Edge's "The Underwater Photographer"

    Andre and Antonella Ferrari's "The Art of Underwater Photography"

  7. Hi Jason,

     

    If your strobes have variable power settings i would recommend using those along with manual adjustment of Shutter, Aperture, ISO instead of getting a TTL converter. Depending on the subject color and background TTL may not always give you great results. Also it may not work for getting dark backgrounds. Sometimes images look better with the light being a little under. Just my two bits FWIW :-)

     

    Diggy

     

    Thanks Diggy,

     

    I usually leave my strobe on minimum power and adjust the camera setting to suit. Now i know how to get the black background i will try it when i get the new housing and 2nd strobe.

     

    I see you're from Mumbai. Whats the diving like there? I'll be in Mumbai for 5 or 6 days in April, do you have any recommendations of where to dive while I'm there?

     

    Hey Jason

     

    I'm not sure if this has come up before or not, but a couple of very good books that it might be worth borrowing/buying, if you can, which will help:

     

    Alex Mustard's "Underwater Photography Masterclass"

    Martin Edge's "The Underwater Photographer"

    Andre and Antonella Ferrari's "The Art of Underwater Photography"

     

    Thanks Tim, I'll look into aquiring them

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.