So, I have a new A6500 with the Nauticam housing. Love them both, FWIW.
However, a big selling point for me on this setup was that the new Nauticam housing has provision for a thin battery pack under the camera that plugs into the micro-USB on the camera and gives you another 2100 mAh of juice. That solves what, for me, was a pretty big limitation on the camera.
Here's the problem and I'm curious if anyone has a solution (or failing that, at least it gets the word out to Nauticam and potential buyers):
The auxiliary battery pack is basically a small and thin version of the ubiquitous little power packs like you'd use to recharge your phone. Charge it up with a USB charger and it has 4 little blue LEDs showing the charge state and that it is "active". Take any Anker portable battery product from Amazon and shrink it to about the size of a deck of cards but half as thick, and you've basically got this battery.
To use, you charge it up, plug it into the camera, close the housing and draw a vacuum. All good. However, the problem is that the battery pack will go to "sleep" after some period of time if it isn't charging the camera. Of course, at the beginning of the day when the internal camera battery is full, there's nothing to charge, and at some point, the auxiliary battery turns itself off and it will not turn itself back on and commence charging, even when you discharge the camera battery. To "wake" it up, you have to unplug and replug it. In other words, once it goes to sleep it is useless no matter how much you drain the camera battery until you open the housing unplug it and replug it.
The problem, of course, is that it might be an hour or two after I close up the housing before I hit the water, by which time the thing has gone to sleep. I'd prefer not to have to open the housing again, on the boat just so the battery pack "wakes up" That sort of defeats the purpose and I'd like to see my little green vacuum okay light for more than 5 minutes before I jump in....
I had some limited success with periodically turning the camera on for a minute or two here or there before the first dive so the auxiliary battery would see a voltage drop and maybe do a tiny charge and reset its sleep countdown, but that is an uncertain PITA.
Any ideas out there?