Why dont you look at a Canon 200D in an Ikelite housing? Very small and compact and can use your existing Tokina and Canon macro lens or get the very good Canon 60mm macro.
I used to use a Canon 700D in a Nauticam but switched to an Olympus EM1 and a EM10 for my wife. Both are great and controls underwater are nearly the same but the EM1 has a better trigger. Never used a finder and always use the EVF and again the bigger EVF in the EM1 has the advantage. The Oly 60mm can be used on its own or with a macro diopter for even greater super macro. I have the Nauticam CMC and while tricky to use gives you 2:1 magnification. You cant use the CMC with the 30mm macro lenses as they are too far from the port glass. The 60mm is made for the Macro 60 port.
I also have the Oly 8mm FE and the Pany 7-14 behind the Nauticam acrylic ports but the Oly 8mm is the one Id recommend.
So why do I suggest the 200D ikelite combo? The main drawbacks of the Olympus are battery life, about 2.5 dives on a 3 dive boat trip so you end up taking less pictures to conserve battery or run the risk of opening the housing and swapping the battery. The EM1 mk2 has much better battery life and so does the Pany GH4 or GH5.
Also the Oly EM1 in Nauticam with macro lens and port is only 1.5kg lighter than the 700D in Nauticam with lens and port (but also less bulky). But the strobes, arms, focus lights, GoPro etc etc weigh the same so you end up with a 5 to 6kg system as opposed to a 6.5 to 7.5kg system.
The Canon 200D Ikelite is the same size and weight as their Olympus and Panasonic housings but you dont have to buy new lenses. Hope this helps.
Thanks for that idea and also appreciate your point of view, as someone who shoots with DSLRs and ILCs (eg, the battery life issues - hadnt considered that the battery would run out so quickly!).
I have to admit, I never looked at the Rebel series of Canon cameras because they dont have 2 separate control dials for changing the 2 exposure parameters. You have to push a button and then turn the dial - and I cannot deal with that. I should look at the newer bodies and see if they have remedied this - if they have, this could be the way to go.
That said, as far as housings go, I dont plan to ever get Ikelite. I have seen too many divers at our dive shop have issues with them (servicing them in this part of the world isnt easy) and more importantly, those housings are ergonomic disasters. Clunky and the buttons/levers dont fall where they should. But if there is a metal, ergonomic housing for it, that might be an option especially if the control dial issues are fixed.
A couple of clarifications, if i may:
- When you say "better trigger on the OM1", what do you mean? Faster response time to take the shoot? Or faster AF?
- Re the CMC: I was planning to use the Macro Port 45, with a spacer, and not the Macro Port 65. Would this let me use wet lenses with the 30mm? Because that would make it a truly versatile lens. I have a 2:1 Macromater wet lens permanently attached to my Aquatica macro port (and i mean it - i dont think i'd be able to release the screw now even if i wanted to
) and it is very handy combo to pair with the 50. Something similar with the 30 would be nice as well.