Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Housing protection Nauticam

Started by SMY ·

  • 32Posts
  • 32Replies

Read-only discussion

Housing protection Nauticam

32 posts
  1. With every housing I have th same problem: Always when I give the camera to a helping hand back on board of a safari boat, they put it on the floor and sooner or later the paint on the edge / bottom side of the Nauticam camera. is away....any idea for protection? I thought about foam rubber or equivalent...

  2. With every housing I have thesame problem: Always when I give the camera to a helping hand back on board of a safari boat, they put it on the floor and sooner or later the paint on the edge / bottom side of the Nauticam camera - due to Zen 170 it stands not fully on the bottom side, but on the edge...any idea for protection? I thought about foam rubber or equivalent...

  3. sorry, double post....@Admins: could you pls delete the older one? Sorry....

  4. Damage to the finish of a housing is a common problem. I use duct tape to protect my housing, with two layers on the bottom, one on top to protect the surfaces at risk. The duct tape takes a beating, as shown in the first photo, but when I change the tape every two years or so, the finish is fine. Any residual glue from the tape I remove with paint thinner or acetone.

    To protect the live view window I use transparent package tape, which also works well and lasts several years.

     

     

  5. wow, thanks a lot! Never thought about package tape for window!! And I had always scratches...

  6. To protect the bottom of our housings from being scratched when pushing them into the bottom when shooting macro I do the following.

    Go to the store and buy some 'non skid' plastic strips that you put on the bottom of bathroom shower and tub. Clean of bottom of your housing with alcohol and place strips where your paint is damaged.

    Cheers

  7. Duct tape?

  8. Damage to the finish of a housing is a common problem. I use duct tape to protect my housing, with two layers on the bottom, one on top to protect the surfaces at risk. The duct tape takes a beating, as shown in the first photo, but when I change the tape every two years or so, the finish is fine. Any residual glue from the tape I remove with paint thinner or acetone.

    To protect the live view window I use transparent package tape, which also works well and lasts several years.attachicon.gifIMG_4422_resize.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4424_resize.JPG

     

    And a bonus is no one wants to steal it!

    Edited by tursiops
  9. I also use the transparent package tape to protect the live window of my cameras, it lasts nicely. On my Olympus TG4 I use the tempered glass protector sold on eBay, it works and looks nice.

  10. Here in Florida, whenever we go out, we bring cooler bag, and tell the crew member to put our camera back to our own bag (never put into the the rinse tank of the boat). The crew members are good at that and that's why they get tips. Depends on your camera size, I just use cooler bag from regular sport store, but the concept of using cooler bag as protection is catching up so not they sell "special" camera bag..... take a look:

     

    http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_66&products_id=9114

  11. Here in Florida, whenever we go out, we bring cooler bag, and tell the crew member to put our camera back to our own bag (never put into the the rinse tank of the boat). The crew members are good at that and that's why they get tips. Depends on your camera size, I just use cooler bag from regular sport store, but the concept of using cooler bag as protection is catching up so not they sell "special" camera bag..... take a look:

     

    http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_66&products_id=9114

    Can u put fresh water in the cooler bag? And it not leak as the day pass?
  12. Some good suggestions here. The non slip bath tape is a good idea, and so too the duct tape.

     

    I’ve out grown a cool bag for my camera :(

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  13. Can u put fresh water in the cooler bag? And it not leak as the day pass?

    It depends on the quality of the cooler bag, and how old is the cooler bag. The cooler bag is designed to hold beer/pop/soda and ice, as the ice melt, it shouldn't leak. But over time, if your camera puncher the inner plastic lining, or if the cooler bag is old where the plastic lining become brittle, then yes, it will leak. However, these cooler bag are quite cheap (the one from the sport store), so you can replace it every few months if you need to.

  14. I'll try to get one similar here in Europe.

     

    What's the best size for a GH3 with a 7-14mm dome and two Keldan Luna 8?

  15.  

    Richard, AO Cooler is big, I have seen people with 1DX + 2 kelden light + Atomos put into the bag, your GH5 is not that big :D

     

    It’s not quite big enough

     

    ce296121ce21004307ecbbd52c8b3ee6.jpg

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. As I suspected. The Luna 8 are longer than average strobes.

  17. Richard, you have the 48 can version of the bag? It's 13"x13"x21".

  18. Yup. That’s the 48 can one I have. It would probably fit better if it was more squared size, with a zip going around, not over the top

     

    I also have the new CineBags case which is even smaller but with a better zip opening but it’s more like an AO 38 can size.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. Richard are you able to close it?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.