Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Upgrading from D300

Started by clairegoodwin ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Upgrading from D300

23 posts
  1. Claire, when testing strobe cables with a multi-meter, check, obviously for low impedance along each conductor. But also check for infinite impedance between the conductors. I have cables that got dampness within, and checking on a high range showed slight conductivity between some wires. And it produced all kinds of headaches until I discovered this and changed the cable.

    Thanks Pete - that's good to know for next time!

     

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  2. Hi Claire:

    What you describe sounds like the ancient conflict of Sync (electric) vs fiberoptic cables. My sync cables were a source of continuing trouble and failure (also for my dive buddy) so I sold my Ikelite strobes and switched to fiberoptic cables for my Inon Z240 and now S&S YS-D2 strobes.

    Result: strobe firing problems are gone. Caveat: Ikelite strobes require sync cables or hybrid cables.

    I made my own fiberoptic cables out of Toshiba hi-fi Toslink cable from eBay, never a problem for 4 years, reliable, cheap (under $5.) and tough.

    Best of luck!

  3. Hi Claire:

    What you describe sounds like the ancient conflict of Sync (electric) vs fiberoptic cables. My sync cables were a source of continuing trouble and failure (also for my dive buddy) so I sold my Ikelite strobes and switched to fiberoptic cables for my Inon Z240 and now S&S YS-D2 strobes.

    Result: strobe firing problems are gone. Caveat: Ikelite strobes require sync cables or hybrid cables.

    I made my own fiberoptic cables out of Toshiba hi-fi Toslink cable from eBay, never a problem for 4 years, reliable, cheap (under $5.) and tough.

    Best of luck!

    Interesting Kraken! - oh dear might be time for a strobe upgrade too......

     

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.