Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Best m43 zoom lens for WWL-1?

Started by dreifish ·

  • 39Posts
  • 39Replies

Read-only discussion

Best m43 zoom lens for WWL-1?

39 posts
  1. I currently use the Olympsu 14-42EZ lens in a 29mm port with the GH5. Overall, I think the quality is nice, but I wonder if one of the other kit lenses might not produce better results?

     

    I recently had to use the Panasonic 15mmF1.7 prime (in the same port), and noticed that the image quality was indeed improved, especially the corners, which were sharp even at F2.0. So clearly the lens you have behind the WWL-1 makes a difference.

     

    What's the best standard zoom lens in terms of quality that can be used with the WWL-1? I assume the Panasonic 12-35F2.8, Olympus 12-40F2.8 or the Panasonic 12-60F2.8-F4 wouldn't work, so we're left with one of the kit lenses?

  2. I’ve got a copy of:

     

    Lumix:

    14-42mm MkI

    14-42mm PZ

    14-42mm MKII

    12-25mm (now sold)

    12-60mm f2.8-4 Leica

    15mm f1.7

     

     

    The 15mm is the sharpest and obviously the fastest. But looses the OIS. But there is something nice about the image.

     

    The MKii for me is sharpest standard zoom, probably just as sharp as my previous 12-35mm and it’s hard to see any real difference with the Leica 12-60mm at the same apertures. However it took me 3 copies to get a good one and in the end I got a proper retail copy with metal mount not the plastic kit version. The optics are the same, but needed to option to take back, not buy of eBay.

     

    Really happy with the 14-42mm MKii and the WWL-1 combo.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. I’ve got a copy of:

     

    Lumix:

    14-42mm MkI

    14-42mm PZ

    14-42mm MKII

    12-25mm (now sold)

    12-60mm f2.8-4 Leica

    15mm f1.7

     

     

    The 15mm is the sharpest and obviously the fastest. But looses the OIS. But there is something nice about the image.

     

    The MKii for me is sharpest standard zoom, probably just as sharp as my previous 12-35mm and it’s hard to see any real difference with the Leica 12-60mm at the same apertures. However it took me 3 copies to get a good one and in the end I got a proper retail copy with metal mount not the plastic kit version. The optics are the same, but needed to option to take back, not buy of eBay.

     

    Really happy with the 14-42mm MKii and the WWL-1 combo.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    What was wrong with the previous two lenses?

     

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4.  

     

    The 15mm is the sharpest and obviously the fastest. But looses the OIS. But there is something nice about the image.

     

    Still got the IBIS though!

  5. I’ve got a copy of:

     

    Lumix:

    14-42mm MkI

    14-42mm PZ

    14-42mm MKII

    12-25mm (now sold)

    12-60mm f2.8-4 Leica

    15mm f1.7

     

     

    The 15mm is the sharpest and obviously the fastest. But looses the OIS. But there is something nice about the image.

     

    The MKii for me is sharpest standard zoom, probably just as sharp as my previous 12-35mm and it’s hard to see any real difference with the Leica 12-60mm at the same apertures. However it took me 3 copies to get a good one and in the end I got a proper retail copy with metal mount not the plastic kit version. The optics are the same, but needed to option to take back, not buy of eBay.

     

    Really happy with the 14-42mm MKii and the WWL-1 combo.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Thanks Richard! I did some research yesterday as well and the reviews seem to agree that the Panasonic 14-42mm MKii is the sharpest of the kit options, and not far off from the 12-35F2.8. So it's probably the best option. Only advantage of the Olympus 14-42EZ is that it has a closer minimum focus distance, so a bit better magnification when used with a diopeter. With the CMC-1, you get 0.9:1 reproduction ratio, which is already super-macro by full frame standards...

     

    Added bonus is that it should work with dual I.S. in theory -- do you notice any difference between the stabilization with it vs something like the 15mm?

  6. What was wrong with the previous two lenses?

    On one the aperture iris was closing properly, like one of the blades was stuck, on the other i had intermittent “lens not attached” messages

     

    As the internal optic barrel is a sealed unit. Both were unserviceable.

     

    Olympus 14-42EZ is that it has a closer minimum focus distance, so a bit better magnification when used with a diopeter. With the CMC-1, you get 0.9:1 reproduction ratio, which is already super-macro by full frame standards...

     

    Added bonus is that it should work with dual I.S. in theory -- do you notice any difference between the stabilization with it vs something like the 15mm?

    Never shot with that Olympus lens. But would take OIS over focus distance :-)

     

    Dual IS is definitely a marked improvement over just IBIS or OIS. But the 15mm with IBIS is still really impressive.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. Why not the 12-35 mm and just zoom to 14mm to avoid vignetting?

  8. Why not the 12-35 mm and just zoom to 14mm to avoid vignetting?

    I don’t believe the port is compatible

    You can use the 12-32mm with the short port the lens is very small it may not even vignette

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. Why not the 12-35 mm and just zoom to 14mm to avoid vignetting?

    This was one of my thoughts too. But I didn’t find a flat port that would work.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. Really thinking about trying the ...

    Panasonic 14-42mm MkII with the INON UWL-H100 and dome unit. The WWL1 is too big and heavy for my trips.

    :fool:

  11. Really thinking about trying the ... Panasonic 14-42mm MkII with the INON UWL-H100 and dome unit. The WWL1 is too big and heavy for my trips.

    :fool:

    I use this combination typically it is nkt good for stilla as the lens has quite a bit of fringing but could be acceptable for video depending on background

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. Really thinking about trying the ...

    Panasonic 14-42mm MkII with the INON UWL-H100 and dome unit. The WWL1 is too big and heavy for my trips.

    :fool:

     

    I looked at this option before settling on the WWL-1. But going on the samples I wasn't happy with the corner sharpness (which was the main reason moving away from a dome)

     

    Also, Interceptor might be better placed to answer this, but I'm not sure if the UWL-H100 can handle zooming through like the WWL-1 can.

     

    The other positive benefit of the INON setup is the ability to use Red Filters, that you can remove/add underwater. But in the end final image quality pushed me towards the WWL-1.

    Edited by thetrickster
  13.  

    I looked at this option before settling on the WWL-1. But going on the samples I wasn't happy with the corner sharpness (which was the main reason moving away from a dome)

     

    Also, Interceptor might be better placed to answer this, but I'm not sure if the UWL-H100 can handle zooming through like the WWL-1 can.

     

    The other positive benefit of the INON setup is the ability to use Red Filters, that you can remove/add underwater. But in the end final image quality pushed me towards the WWL-1.

    Zoom through works fine

    On my blog there is an old post that compares the two lenses check it for yourself

     

    http://interceptor121.com/2015/09/14/nauticam-wwl-1-wet-wide-angle-lens-review/

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Edited by Interceptor121
  14. Zoom through works fine

    On my blog there is an old post that compares the two lenses check it for yourself

     

    http://interceptor121.com/2015/09/14/nauticam-wwl-1-wet-wide-angle-lens-review/

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

     

    Hello Interceptor ... Thanks for the link ... very useful indeed. I understood you used the LX100 for the camera in the test. I think the 2cm air gap to the Nauticam port's glass will make a big difference. Have you tried with the Olympus 14-42 MK2?

  15.  

    Hello Interceptor ... Thanks for the link ... very useful indeed. I understood you used the LX100 for the camera in the test. I think the 2cm air gap to the Nauticam port's glass will make a big difference. Have you tried with the Olympus 14-42 MK2?

    I had the short port so there was no major gap. The olympus lenses in that segment are worse in general than panasonic and are not stabilised so I never use them with exception of 60mm macro

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. I had the short port so there was no major gap. The olympus lenses in that segment are worse in general than panasonic and are not stabilised so I never use them with exception of 60mm macro

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    acc... I meant Panasonic

  17. acc... I meant Panasonic

    Yes I know that lens very well I have been recommending it since long. I think trickster too got it after my review

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. Does the 15mm f/1.7 Panasonic lens work with the WWL-1? Nauticam does not list it as compatible, but if you needed to shoot wide angle with a fast lens it might be a good alternative to the 14-42mm Lumix Mkii. (I use the 14-42mm Mkii, and I do think the Dual IS, even though its just the old Dual IS helps).

     

    My ideal lens would be a WWL-1 compatible f/2.8 14-42mm that supports Dual IS2! Wish there was such a thing.

  19. Does the 15mm f/1.7 Panasonic lens work with the WWL-1?

     

    Yes. With the Macro29 port :-)

     

    My ideal lens would be a WWL-1 compatible f/2.8 14-42mm that supports Dual IS2! Wish there was such a thing.

    Yeah a fast 14-42mm ‘Premium Vario X’ lens would be pretty nice. But happy with the MKii at the moment.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. So if I wanted to have a faster lens for wide angle available light with the WWL-1, I need :

     

    1) Nauticam N85 Power Zoom Macro Port 29

    2) The Panasonic f/1.7 15mm lens

     

    Do I need some sort of 67mm to wwl-1 adapter in order to attach the wwl-1 to the Macro port 29?

     

    Why don't they list this as compatible in their lens chart for the panasonic I wonder?

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.