Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Panasonic GH5 and mini flash DMW-FL70

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Panasonic GH5 and mini flash DMW-FL70

23 posts
  1. Is anybody using the mini flash with their GH5?

    I found out that is compatible and bought one from Japan at $45 seems to be quite effective alternative to an external trigger and a works with TTL though that was not really the reason to get it

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. Let me know how you get on, was looking at this myself a few months back.

  3. Yeah, I've been using it for a few months now. Works great! I've only tested it in manual mode, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work with TTL also. Since it draws its power directly from the camera, you don't need to worry about recharging or changing its battery like with the nauticam led trigger. Plus, it's more compact, cheaper, and does TTL. Overall it's great. I think it's the best option for the GH5.

     

    post-42872-0-43880200-1528298071_thumb.jpg

    Edited by dreifish
  4. Excellent news Dreifish maybe it makes the battery life shorter in TTL but for me TTL is only for portraits and macro not for other shots where you blast the battery so it should work well

  5. uuu didnt know such thing exists....anybody tried it yet on GH4 ? Curious if it would fit the housing as well...

  6. Yeah, I've been using it for a few months now. Works great! I've only tested it in manual mode, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work with TTL also. Since it draws its power directly from the camera, you don't need to worry about recharging or changing its battery like with the nauticam led trigger. Plus, it's more compact, cheaper, and does TTL. Overall it's great. I think it's the best option for the GH5.

     

    attachicon.gifKomodo (41 of 47).jpg

    How can it be set up for TTL?

     

    Thanks!

  7. The setting is in the camera

    Rec flash firing mode TTL

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. I use it for more than a year now, in manual and TTL. It does the job perfectly.

  9. I use it for more than a year now, in manual and TTL. It does the job perfectly.

     

    in GH4 ? or you mean GH5 ? :)

  10. in GH4 ? or you mean GH5 ? :)

    GH5

  11. GH5

     

    aaach thanks...was somehow hoping it was GH4 :)

  12. :) topic was about GH5, no?

    GH4 has a built in flash, so no need for a small flash there. My friend has a GH4 though, I can ask him to test the FL70 if you want. But it will be in August only, I have a long trip ahead, diving in Iceland an Greenland!

  13. :) topic was about GH5, no?

     

    GH4 has a built in flash, so no need for a small flash there. My friend has a GH4 though, I can ask him to test the FL70 if you want. But it will be in August only, I have a long trip ahead, diving in Iceland an Greenland!

     

    it has a built in one but slow and battery eating one :P Using a Nauticam LED trigger for now but no TTL there....so curious if this could be a nice low cost solution. Or at least i can dream :) Enjoy the trip!

  14. I will! Just found out that the water temperature is 2°C/37°F! Nice!

    Beware, the FL70 has no built in batteries, so it uses the camera battery as well if that is your concern. I see only now you are living in Belgium as well. You can always try my FL70 if you like. I'm from Herne.

    Edited by rollin
  15. I will! Just found out that the water temperature is 2°C/37°F! Nice!

     

    Beware, the FL70 has no built in batteries, so it uses the camera battery as well if that is your concern. I see only now you are living in Belgium as well. You can always try my FL70 if you like. I'm from Herne.

     

    Thanks for the offer rollin! ...Will pass though...just realized I somehow had it stuck in my head that it is a LED flash...since its a normal one it does not make sense...as it will have the same drain on teh battery. Even if it has faster recycle time, guess not that much over built in strobe....And LED trigger willl be way faster..och well...Gotta think first, post second next time :D

    Edited by makar0n
  16. Unlike the nauticam one, this does not allow rapid firing is that correct?

    Unlike the nauticam one, this does not allow rapid firing is that correct?

  17. Unlike the nauticam one, this does not allow rapid firing is that correct?

    Unlike the nauticam one, this does not allow rapid firing is that correct?

    What do you mean by rapid firing? Speed is usually dictated by the recharge time of the strobes more than internal flash?

    Have you got a particular shot in mind??

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. (a bit late to the discussion sorry, been travelling :-)

    I've been using the FL-70 for a while and find it very good. I previously used a GH4 so was used to the battery drain consideration and the FL-70 hasn't yet caused me to run out of battery on a dive...

    I also have the Nauticam LED trigger, but I prefer the flexibility of having TTL if I want it during a dive, and this seems to outweigh any need for faster recycling.

    Only available from Japan I believe?

  19. (a bit late to the discussion sorry, been travelling :-)

    I've been using the FL-70 for a while and find it very good. I previously used a GH4 so was used to the battery drain consideration and the FL-70 hasn't yet caused me to run out of battery on a dive...

    I also have the Nauticam LED trigger, but I prefer the flexibility of having TTL if I want it during a dive, and this seems to outweigh any need for faster recycling.

    Only available from Japan I believe?

    Yes I have ordered it in Japan but this is really a great addition to the camera not just underwater. Works well with close shots on land especially in shade over a bright day when you don’t want to carry a larger unit

    Worth every cent of import duty

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. I have the nauticam flash trigger.. my strobes arent firing theres a little light that goes off towards the bottom when I fire but no major flash output... what am I doing wrong?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.