Will be following this thread as I have had multiple problems with my HDMI cables connecting my Nauticam GH5 housing to Nauticam Small HD 502...
Basically if has not worked since May, and I went back and forth with Nauticam for a couple months and am awaiting yet another cable to confirm what specific part / connection is the problem.
Have had nothing but problems with this set up. It is amazing when it actually works, but have spent more time without it working...
My first problem was user error, and the screw down for external cable must have loosened as there was a touch of moisture when I disassembled after a dive. I replaced all parts to be safe and +/- 20 dives later things started acting up.
Intermittent signal problems became almost no signal at all so ordered a new internal cable. That cable arrived the day I left on a week long dive trip and of course the signal was still intermittent...
There had been a 45 degree change in the plug orientation on the replacement bulkhead when installed which in my opinion caused extra strain on the cable or even the bulkead connection itself.
So after a week long trip with no working monitor and weeks of email communications I got tired of inaction and had my local Nauticam deal send the 2 cables and bullkead back for testing. Nauticam USA found that the older cable didn`t work, while the brand new one was OK. The bulkhead was giving intermittent signal and all parts send to Head Office for testing.
Tests came back fine on the bulkhead which I disputed as it didn`t work for me, and was intermittent for Nauticam USA. In the end due to time passed dealing with this they tried to say the bulkhead was beyond the warranty period but I disputed and they replaced the bulkhead, and offered 30% discount on a spare which I purchased for redundancy
I also tried to purchase a spare internal cable but they were OUT OF STOCK which makes me suspect there are more issues with these cables than we users are aware of...
Anyway, received the parts and of course things are not working. Have tried direct connect between the camera and monitor using full-size HDMI and all is good. I do not have mini-mini connections to try alternate cable routing to see where the fault is.
Now I have ordered a new external cable to ensure that isn`t the problem but the clock I ticking on 90 day HDMI cable warranty period...
Am overall unimpressed with how Nauticam has handled this, and disappointed they have not lived up to their reputation for quality products and service. This is my second Nauticam housing, 3rd when the monitor was added and I honestly expected better from them.
Fingers crossed the cable arrives this week so I can try to troubleshoot the issue.
Next stop is a HDMI cable distributer to see if there are alternate options for the internal cable. Besides the high price on the Nauticam one, the length and way it curves inside the housing causes bad kinking. Am hoping to find a 90 degree HDMI plug and shorter cable which would allow a straight line from bulkhead to 90 degree plug.
If I find a workable solution I will post part numbers.
At this point anything would be better than non-functioning Nauticam gear :-(
Sorry for the rant, but I did not spend thousands of dollars on a monitor system to get nickeled and dimed on faulty cables and poor service.
Regards,
Adam