Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Forum Members Poll: Your first underwater camera

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 60Posts
  • 60Replies

Read-only discussion

Forum Members Poll: Your first underwater camera

60 posts
  1. rx100 m4 was my first camera.

  2. some sony actioncam, then Nikon aw110, sony rx100mk2, Nikon d800, Olympus omd em5, Olympus omd em1...

  3. Started with a Canon G9 in it’s WP housing, I don’t think gopros were around back then. Technically this is still my rig. I do have a go pro since last year, but it doesn’t really talk to my Inon z240 :).

    It’s probably time for something new...

     

  4. FYI Tapatalk interface hides polls. You need to be using the browser.

  5. Canon G7XII... Love shooting UW with it :)

  6. I built my first camera housings. The very first was a AGFA 35mm in a Plexiglass box using glands gotten from a listing in Skin Diver magazine and using the book How to Build Your Own Housing or something like that. I built a number of variations even fabricating a dome port from a marine compass bubble. The HS shop teacher helped a few times with the more complicated versions to machine various parts. During that time I was gifted a used Nemrod 120 camera. I then moved to a Nikonos I that was also well used when I got it and then I bought a new Nikonos III that I used in addition to a Nikon FE and then a Nikon FMIIT SLRs (in Ikelite bubbles). Then an Oly 5050 in Ikelite until it flooded, then a Canon A570 in Ikelite until it flooded and then a Canon S90 in FIX (still going strong) and now a Nauticam with Sony A6400. 

    Edited by Captain Fathom
  7. Nikonos III- no strobe, no corrective lenses in dive mask. Still shooting manual today. 
     

  8. Sea & Sea DX860g with a Sea & Sea YS-27DX strobe.

    It was a great camera, IF you didn't mind the insane shutter lag.

  9.  I currently use an Olympus TG5 in a housing.  Good camera and easy to travel with - but looking to move to my Canon DSLR very soon.  

  10. I should mention that I actually started with a GoPro 2 in a housing.  The only housing available to me had a dome lens, so the images were all distorted - I tried many times to get a proper dive housing, but by then you could not buy anything for that model.  I will likely buy a newer model for my wife one day soon as we dive together.

  11. On 10/14/2019 at 8:34 PM, Barmaglot said:

    There are less and less compact cameras in general, phones have taken over that slice of the market - and incidentally, phone housings (Weefine Smart Housing et al) are becoming more common. The basic compact (Canon S-series) is dead completely, and premium compacts (RX100 series, G5X, G7X) are priced out of many people's reach.

    Port systems for compacts are still quite rare though, it's only RX100 M6/M7 that needs one. IIRC Nauticam made a basic port system for G7X II some time ago, but that camera functions fine with a fixed port.

    The reason for the port system is to facilitate the use of the various wet lenses - the long port means you need to zoom in to stop vignetting with the wet lens, losing field of view,  so while the G7X-II functions fine for many purposes it does not if you are trying to maximise field of view.

  12. 1982 Started with a 26mm If I recall-a real piece of crap.Same year I certified  working up to Divemaster.. One year was enough-

    Next one was a 35mm in a  new Ikelite housing-At depth the controls where not happy. One season was enough

    Next one was a New Aquatica aluminum for a Nokon F3-bought two of them over time was happy for a long time.

    During this time  also had a used nik 3 and some nikonos new Vs with all the lens and tubes-sold it all some time ago.

    Next was a Used Subal for the nikon F5 -my favorite film housing bought two over time-shot those until 2009. Still have fond of that housing and its viewfinder still-have not sen as good as one since.

    Then went to digital and  a used subal and Nikon D300-

    Got a go-pro somewhere when the 4s came out-do not use it much-no a video person much

    A few years back upgraded to a subal custom used housing and a d800. Still very happy-its a bit big an heavy now that I'm older same with the Ike strobes

    Dinosaur for sure now

  13. Nikonos 5 with single Helix strobe.

  14. Nikonos  II, 28mm lens and Nikonos bulb flash.

  15. Nikonos V

    Then a Ricoh compact in UN housing.

  16. Nikonos III, 35mm lens and single Oceanic 2001 strobe

  17. Nikon P7000 in a Fantasea housing.  Started with UW video using Sony camcorders before venturing into still photography.  

  18. Panasonic LUMIX LX-100 ii with Nauticam housing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. Canon g7x m1 in an Ikelite housing

  20. I started with a GoPro. They take surprisingly decent photos of done correctly. It’ll never be as good as a more versatile camera, but was good to start with. 

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.