Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Travelling light - Chargers and batteries

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 30Posts
  • 30Replies

Read-only discussion

Travelling light - Chargers and batteries

30 posts
  1. My only comment would be on the smart chargers. I don't know if the ones you've listed allow you to change the current per battery, and you may not have to, but i've found this thing amazing:

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Youshiko-YC4000-Intelligent-Professional-Standard/dp/B00N7GHUH0/ref=lp_431408031_1_18?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1556210712&sr=1-18

     

    Not the cheapest, and there may well be cheaper alternatives but being able to boost the charge when needed (say in between 2nd and night dive) and then having another 4 on for trickle charge (non-smart) is quite good. What's nice about this is that it also does AAA batteries.

     

    There may be more light weight ones that do 8, which would be preferable i guess!

     

     

    I use a similar one of these too for regular charging (at home) of AA batteries - but without the USB facility. Like sinetwo, I find it is good.

     

    For travelling though I'm going with a USB charger and the USB AA battery holder/charger as Interceptor suggested. It's very neat, very portable and very flexible.

  2.  

     

    I use a similar one of these too for regular charging (at home) of AA batteries - but without the USB facility. Like sinetwo, I find it is good.

     

    For travelling though I'm going with a USB charger and the USB AA battery holder/charger as Interceptor suggested. It's very neat, very portable and very flexible.

    You can fast charge on USB as well if you have two chargers for AA/AAA just place two batteries each the batteries will receive double the current and this will charge a standard eneloop in 1 hour or a pro in 75’

    Obviously you cant fast charge 8 but it is the same of a single 4 slots on fast charge

    Bear in mind charging eneloop with more than half the ideal value shortens their overall life

     

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. I've been using this 8 Cell AA charger for a couple of years now. It works great, light weight, and has 8 channels. I use a pair of Inon 330's, 4 Eneloop Pro 2500 cells each. I carry 2 full sets for a total of 16 cells. I usually swap sells after 2 dive's but have found I can easily shoot 3 dives and 500 shots on a single set a batteries. I mostly shoot at 1/2 power or less. The charger is fast enough to charge 8 cells from 0-100% in 5-6 hours so I can just alternate batteries every day or every 2-3 dives.

     

     

    https://www.batteryjunction.com/8800.html $28

  4. Dave this whole post was about avoiding chargers with a power supply and consolidating power to travel light. I have one of those chargers are home but they are bulky take space and require a dedicated plug which is what I wanted to move on from

  5. wow guys thanks for summing all up and sharing great tips and tricks... travelling light is such a challenge for me and would love to be able to pack lighter than my last trip to Koh Tao. got stuck on the island for almost four months as I had too many things altogether and was too lazy to travel around with such a heavy luggage :pig:

  6. I use ZMI ZI5 to charge Eneloops. Very small and very light at about 50 grams. Takes like 5 hours or so to fully charge, but not a big deal for overnight charging.

     

    For 18650s batteries I use XTAR MC-2.

     

    The USB charging part I use 5-port Orico QSE-5U.

    Baseus Transun USB-C + USB charger for my Lenovo laptop

     

    Also a Xiaomi 20,000 mah powerbank when the power turns off.

     

     

    All with weight as the main factor. Very short lightweight micro-USB cables as well.

    Edited by Thrawn
  7. Finally got around to building a USB charger for my upcoming trip! Thanks for the idea and great documentation Interceptor121!

     

    Here is a picture of mine: https://www.jonandersonphoto.com/Misc/i-J57SRsF/A

     

    I used corrugated plastic for the base and dual lock velcro to hold everything to it. It charges 2 Nikon batteries (same model charger is available for all major cameras), 8 AA strobe batteries, 2 18650 batteries, my Shearwater Teric, and still has 1 USB port left. The whole thing weighs 650 grams (without batteries, Shearwater dock, and computer). Not sure if this is substantially lighter than my old chargers charger/powerstrip/etc but it is definitely much neater and more compact which will be especially nice for liveaboards trips with limited space and outlets for charging.

     

    Happy to share more specifics if anyone wants them.

     

    Excited to try this on my upcoming Sea of Cortez liveaboard trip in about a week!

  8. On 7/20/2019 at 10:28 PM, jonjake said:

    Hello Jon Jake, I'm really curious about your computer's holder. Could you please share some details?

    Sorry about derailing this topic, but I have been looking for something similar for a perdix. 

    Regards,

    Joss

  9. Hi Joss,

    Interesting that you noticed that!  I designed and fabricated the computer holder myself. Send me a DM if you want to discuss more.

    - Jon

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.