Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Camera Attachment to my Person

Started by longbord1 ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

Camera Attachment to my Person

26 posts
  1. Hey all,

     

    Does anyone have tips for attaching their camera to their person. As in to their weight belt or to their arm/thigh. I am looking for something that will hold a medium sized housing tightly to my body, but is also quick release.

     

    I've thought of harnesses or just velcro straps, but just wondering if anyone has a nice DYI they recommend.

     

    This could work I guess: https://www.amazon.com/TacDraw-Camera-Belt-Metal-Holster/dp/B012BCDYXY/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=camera+holster&qid=1561881283&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

     

     

    Thanks,

     

    Michael

    Edited by longbord1
  2. Edited by Chris Kippax
  3. I use a Lanyard (like this: https://www.divelogs.com/product.jsp?ProductID=230) on one side and a bolt snap double ended with one of these snapped on the end: https://www.whitworths.com.au/ronstan-snap-shackle-fixed-bail-33mm - should be able to find something similar in sailing shops I found it quite secure.

     

    pull the little ring and it lets go completely. I have a D-ring on each side of the BCD and I select hardware that's long enough to match the lanyard when clipped up so the camera is level. So if I need to hand the camera off you can unclip the lanyard grab the housing tray handle and pull the quick release.

  4. I'm using a lanyard like this one:

     

    https://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/nauticam-lanyard-snap-clip

     

    on the surface, its attached to my 2 strobe arms to carry the rig (and it keeps my strobe arms in place)

    when im about to exit the water I clamp it to the strobe arms as well, where the boat crew can grab the camera

    if stuff gets really wild underwater, of I need to assist my buddy or something, I can clamp one of the bolt snaps to my bcd so I can use both hands.

    Edited by Robin-D
  5. The snap bolts the guys suggest sound like a good idea.

     

    If you want to have something like Robin-D suggests, it's pretty easy to knot the line between the two bolts. You can chose the colour (and we all know that's a crucial factor) and the length. A suggested way of knotting is in the link that follows. I'm no knotting expert by any means, but it took me about 15 minutes to knot up a lanyard of about 12" as a handle for my housing using this method. Cost me less than £2 in bits and pieces. And I really like the bright yellow that I chose :crazy:

     

    This is what I used: https://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Wide-Sturdy-Handle-With-The-Portuguese-Sinn/

     

    This system also gives you that rosy DIY I-made-this glow.....

    Edited by TimG
  6. See having it on a lanyard is so wobbly. I was hoping for something that stays put on either my leg or bicep that causes the camera to move with me, not move with a delay and with the opposite direction due to interia.

     

    May have to give this a try: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32916771613.html?spm=2114.search0204.3.109.79fd75fbAzyh7F&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0%2Csearchweb201602_3_10065_10130_10068_10547_319_10546_317_10548_10545_10696_10084_453_454_10083_10618_10307_537_536_10059_10884_10887_321_322_10103%2Csearchweb201603_60%2CppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=71e3ab57-07df-439c-a09a-33dd65751307-15&algo_pvid=71e3ab57-07df-439c-a09a-33dd65751307&transAbTest=ae803_4

     

    I'm a freediver by the way.

    Edited by longbord1
  7. See having it on a lanyard is so wobbly. I was hoping for something that stays put on either my leg or bicep that causes the camera to move with me, not move with a delay and with the opposite direction due to interia.

     

    I'd suggest you'd have to have a very uncomplicated, simple system to be able to clamp it to an arm or bicep. A GoPro maybe. Anything larger with lights (and the associated cables or fibre optics) I suspect would be too big, cumbersome and just impractical.

     

    What are you diving with?

  8. I use an ikelite for canon sl2 with no strobes, which is relatively large, but still very attachable to my body.

     

    A video I watched on youtube gave me the idea. Just was wondering if anyone had any good ideas.

    post-68566-0-39308000-1561913452_thumb.png

    Edited by longbord1
  9. I put together two web straps with bronze snap rings on the ends. The straps clip to the housing tray and to my BCD harness D-rings.

     

    A lot of the areas I dive have California sea lions and they like to play 'snatch & grab' games with divers. I've had some experiences where they've grabbed the floats on my strobe arms and tried to take off with my camera rig. I wouldn't hook anything to my legs when sea lions are around. I've seen them grab dive knives right off divers' legs.

     

    The straps also can be configured to make a grab handle when boat crews are passing the camera to me in the water or taking it from me when I'm preparing to exit the water.

     

    -AZTinman

    Edited by Tinman
  10. Hey all,

     

    Does anyone have tips for attaching their camera to their person. As in to their weight belt or to their arm/thigh. I am looking for something that will hold a medium sized housing tightly to my body, but is also quick release.

     

    After seeing another diver lose his week-old $1000 rig on a liveaboard, I decided to use a strap and be very aware of it. I just use a common dive strap as seen in the photo below. It clips to a quick-disconnect on a d-ring on the left side of my BCD. The very first thing I do in the water when my camera is handed down from the boat is to attach that strap. My only tip here is that if the connector is too high up on the BCD it can be hard to see with a mask on and a bit of a pain to connect.

    55218797_10213978923254328_2080783020641

  11. After seeing another diver lose his week-old $1000 rig on a liveaboard, I decided to use a strap and be very aware of it. I just use a common dive strap as seen in the photo below. It clips to a quick-disconnect on a d-ring on the left side of my BCD. The very first thing I do in the water when my camera is handed down from the boat is to attach that strap. My only tip here is that if the connector is too high up on the BCD it can be hard to see with a mask on and a bit of a pain to connect.

    55218797_10213978923254328_2080783020641

     

    This is exactly what I do. I can't imagine anything worse than losing the rig in the blue. It is also the reason I've tried to get mine as close to neutral as I can (although there is still work). On my last trip the clip that I use to attach the camera to my BCD did not close and when I let go of the camera it started sinking. Luckily it wasn't sinking that fast...

  12. I use one of these:

     

    https://www.leisurepro.com/p-aquqcl/quick-release-coil-lanyard?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj_6R0Y6U4wIVUj0MCh1kBQmbEAQYBiABEgIYXvD_BwE

     

    You can find them cheaper on aliexpress. I took off the cheap plastic clip and put on a proper boltsnap as the plastic clip tens to get caught on the d-ring. I take the other side and attach the chord around the base of my right handle by feeding the whole thing back through the loop. I clip off the whole thing to my right chest d-ring with the boltsnap. I am able to clip it together when doing something else and it stays right near me . When the lanyard clip is undone the coil allows me to fully extend my arms with no issue. A drop would leave it hanging about 4 feet below me.

  13. Hi,
    i use a double side brass or stanless boltsnap to fix my strobe arms together for entry / leave the water.
    Gives a safe grip for the boatcrew and me.
    If i have a neoprene port cover, i can attach it under water with this boltsnap, out of the optical way...
    If i have to get both hands free, i clip the boltsnap in a d-ring of my bcd.
    One end stays allways in the strobe arm.
    But that will not work for a freediver!
    Regards,
    Wolfgang

  14. I use one of these:

     

    https://www.leisurepro.com/p-aquqcl/quick-release-coil-lanyard?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj_6R0Y6U4wIVUj0MCh1kBQmbEAQYBiABEgIYXvD_BwE

     

    You can find them cheaper on aliexpress. I took off the cheap plastic clip and put on a proper boltsnap as the plastic clip tens to get caught on the d-ring. I take the other side and attach the chord around the base of my right handle by feeding the whole thing back through the loop. I clip off the whole thing to my right chest d-ring with the boltsnap. I am able to clip it together when doing something else and it stays right near me . When the lanyard clip is undone the coil allows me to fully extend my arms with no issue. A drop would leave it hanging about 4 feet below me.

    The problem with this flexible plastic lanyard is that it is not that strong, had one get caught as I passed my rig to the boatman and it snapped in two.

    I've gone to a woven nylon lanyard that phxazcraig uses.

  15. The problem with this flexible plastic lanyard is that it is not that strong, had one get caught as I passed my rig to the boatman and it snapped in two.

    I've gone to a woven nylon lanyard that phxazcraig uses.

     

    The one I have is quite strong. The only part I think I could break would be the plastic buckle. The flexible coil is plastic coated wire. I would need a wire cutters to break it.

  16. The problem with this flexible plastic lanyard is that it is not that strong, had one get caught as I passed my rig to the boatman and it snapped in two.

    I've gone to a woven nylon lanyard that phxazcraig uses.

    Actually I just went and got it out and upon closer inspection there may not be a wire core in it. I will have to be careful with this. I am usually over a hard bottom that is within my depth limits so probably ok for now but will need to investigate a replacement.

  17. Actually I just went and got it out and upon closer inspection there may not be a wire core in it. I will have to be careful with this. I am usually over a hard bottom that is within my depth limits so probably ok for now but will need to investigate a replacement.

    This is the lanyard I use: https://www.cetaceacorp.com/crl3hd.html

    It is strong

  18. I use a similar Cetacea lanyard, but mine has a regular bolt snap. Apparently, it's only available through Optical Ocean:

    https://www.opticaloceansales.com/coiled-webbing-lanyard-bolt-snap.html

     

    In addition, I installed a triple arm clamp on each side of my two-arm system; I then installed a split ring and small shackle into the empty position on each side and use a double ender bolt snap between them as a carry handle. The extra bolt snap also gives me the ability to secure the camera rig tighter to my body if necessary. I could make do without the shackles, but it's always nice to have a couple of extra attachment doo-hickeys around divers (just in case).

  19. these look good but i'm a cheapskate $35 is crazy high for that. I may make my own at that price!

  20. these look good but i'm a cheapskate $35 is crazy high for that. I may make my own at that price!

    $35 is pricey for a lanyard, but considering the thousands of $$ my rig cost, I consider it a bargain to know it will say attached to me.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.