Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Camera Attachment to my Person

Started by longbord1 ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

Camera Attachment to my Person

26 posts
  1. I see many posts about lanyards on lengths of cord - designed so you don't 'lose' the rig, but not to secure the rig. I think the OP is asking about securing it. Any length of line will make a rig flop around if you let go.

     

    I attach a bolt snap to the base of each handle and sling it like a stage bottle - one on a shoulder D-ring and one on hip D-ring. It is important that the bolt snaps are tied very tight to the handles so they themselves don't flop around, they're rigid. Look up the methods of tying bolt snaps onto bottles/lights etc from tech divers to get an idea of how to tie a very rigid connection.

     

    Now I've only done this for scuba - its more challenging for free diving. I'd experiment with dual D-ring placement at different points on your belt. Perhaps to secure the camera on one hip or across the lower back. The D-rings should be rigid to form a tight connection and stop the camera from flopping around.

     

    Placement of the snaps on the housing is important so it sits naturally and doesn't try to rotate itself on the connection. Personally mine works best with the snaps on the bottom of the handles. Experiment.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Chris

  2. I use a Snapper Clip from Scubapro:
    https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/accessories/snapper-clip-wss-core-std

    and "Replace" the Snaper with a boltsnap, the boltsnap is clipt to the D-Ring on my right Shoulder.

    Snapper Clip is also available from mares and so on. For me important, it has a Steel Cable inside.

    Drawback the steel cable in the Inside starts to corrode after same years and you have to replace the Snapper Clip.

     

    The Cetacea lanyard locks interesting, have to order one an try it ...

  3. I came across this lanyard/clip combination a couple of days ago. I'm not sure I have seen this combination of clips before - and the manufacturer was new to me too. It seemed very high quality - and the price not too bad.

    post-2756-0-17006300-1563861021_thumb.jpg

  4. I use one of these:

     

    https://www.leisurepro.com/p-aquqcl/quick-release-coil-lanyard?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj_6R0Y6U4wIVUj0MCh1kBQmbEAQYBiABEgIYXvD_BwE

     

    You can find them cheaper on aliexpress. I took off the cheap plastic clip and put on a proper boltsnap as the plastic clip tens to get caught on the d-ring. I take the other side and attach the chord around the base of my right handle by feeding the whole thing back through the loop. I clip off the whole thing to my right chest d-ring with the boltsnap. I am able to clip it together when doing something else and it stays right near me . When the lanyard clip is undone the coil allows me to fully extend my arms with no issue. A drop would leave it hanging about 4 feet below me.

     

    I've been using one of those for a while, and it has held up fine over a hundred-odd dives, but the clips are annoying to take off d-rings while under tension, so I ordered this one last month, and it just came in the mail. For less than $5 shipped, I'm impressed - proper bolt snap, and the coil has a metal wire rope inside clear plastic. It stretches out to about 1 meter when the buckle is unclipped.

  5.  

    I've been using one of those for a while, and it has held up fine over a hundred-odd dives, but the clips are annoying to take off d-rings while under tension, so I ordered this one last month, and it just came in the mail. For less than $5 shipped, I'm impressed - proper bolt snap, and the coil has a metal wire rope inside clear plastic. It stretches out to about 1 meter when the buckle is unclipped.

    Yes they are annoying to get off the D-ring. I removed the clip it came with and tied on a regular boltsnap.

  6. I've been using this one for 3+ years, 300+ dives.  Durable and cheap.  Easy attachment to D-rings and camera.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PVOFRPS/

    "Scuba Choice Diving Deluxe Snappy Camera Lanyard with Heavy Duty Clips"

     

    clip.jpg

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.