Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Diving at Sogod Bay in Philippines with Sony NXR-NX80

Started by Laval ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

Diving at Sogod Bay in Philippines with Sony NXR-NX80

27 posts
  1. 6 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

    I have shot a snorkeling video on the GH5 in HLG that I have not yet processed

    What I can say is that it is not a good idea to process HLG Rec2020 in 8 bits if you want to do any grading. On my GH5 that is not actually possible you can only do it in 10 bit and the 150 Mbps profile is also inadequate for grading.

    Furthermore it is hard to do anything with tone mapping so it is critical to get the colour right in camera. In terms of contract adjustment and tones HLG can take a lot of beating at 400 mbps ALL I on the GH5 but am not sure about Sony 8 bit codecs with 100 mbps bitrate or similar

    Thank you for your comment.  It looks like I should abandon an idea of shooting in HLG.

  2. On 12/10/2019 at 4:50 AM, bubffm said:

    Hi Laval,  my channel name is the same as the user-ID here, so when you search in youtube for it, you'll find it ;-)  But I have only published some overland stuff (Antartica, Patagonia) shot on the Z90. I have quite a bit of underwater footage done on it in the Maldives - unfortunately I've not had the time to publish anything. Just played around here with grading to see whether its any good. And I am mostly very pleased with it.

    ON HLG, I disagreee with Juan - I had some exchange on this with him. I like a lot of stuff he's done but I am not convinced of his HLG stuff.  HLG works absolutely fine overland. But as soon as you need the slightest corrections - and thats almost always the case for underwater stuff - the picture is falling apart very quickly.  The codec is just too thin: Wider color gamut, 8 bits - good for WYSIWYG, not for grading. And HLG was actually never designed for grading in the first place.

    Even with the GH5, which does 10 bit, i have not been able to produce any really good looking output with HLG underwater. And I know of nobody else who has. 

    Custom profile: I need to look them up and post separately.  Nothing major. I remember I changed the Black levels and scaled down sharpness in 4k mode. I get back on that.

    Burkhard

     

    Hi Burkhard, I checked your YouTube channel and ended up watching your videos with my wife most of the last Friday evening.  We enjoyed them very much, especially Antarctica, Triton Bay and Tubbataha Reef. Very professional work!  We like footage, music selection and editing. 

    Regarding the 'Antarctica' video, from what I understand, it is straight from the camera. Is it right?  The quality is very good. Is it actually HDR?  

    Val

  3. 20 hours ago, Laval said:

    Hi Burkhard, I checked your YouTube channel and ended up watching your videos with my wife most of the last Friday evening.  We enjoyed them very much, especially Antarctica, Triton Bay and Tubbataha Reef. Very professional work!  We like footage, music selection and editing. 

    Regarding the 'Antarctica' video, from what I understand, it is straight from the camera. Is it right?  The quality is very good. Is it actually HDR?  

    Val

    Hi Val,

    thanks for your kind comment und spending so much time watching my videos :-)

    The Antartica video was pretty much straight from the camera just the usual minor tweaking of exposure, saturation etc.here and there. On some of the midnight sun clips I applied some noise reduction.  Its actually not HDR/HLG as I did not trust my skills here. It is my well trusted and tested CINE profile in Rec.709. Not sure anymore whether CINE1 or CINE4 but they are pretty close anyway.

    I was also happy that I could operate the camera easily with the top handle and big gloves. Some of my photographers colleagues froze their fingers off on their cams...

    Burkhard

     

  4. The HDR HLG video is here. Also realised HLG is not that popular in US so majority of people will be given a standard SDR version

     

  5. On 12/19/2019 at 9:07 AM, Interceptor121 said:

    The HDR HLG video is here. Also realised HLG is not that popular in US so majority of people will be given a standard SDR version

     

    Thank you for sharing.  Great quality video.  I watched it on iMac with color set to Reg. 2020 and full brightness.  Colors are fantastic. Have you done any post color corrections?  Considering shallow depth, I assume you have not used a red filter.

  6. HLG has minimum ISO 400 so I used a 3 stops ND filter. I had lens that was not particularly wide wasn’t expecting the dolphin to come so close
    There is no color correction however as the shots had different camera angle I have used match color when they were visibly different
    The image had a lot of contrast and the colours were already vivid so I left it as is
    I think snorkelling is the perfect opportunity for HLG especially when you have ripple light on the dolphins looks excellent in all set ups


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. 8 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

    HLG has minimum ISO 400 so I used a 3 stops ND filter. I had lens that was not particularly wide wasn’t expecting the dolphin to come so close
    There is no color correction however as the shots had different camera angle I have used match color when they were visibly different
    The image had a lot of contrast and the colours were already vivid so I left it as is
    I think snorkelling is the perfect opportunity for HLG especially when you have ripple light on the dolphins looks excellent in all set ups


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Thank you for your reply.  

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.