Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

ATTENTION: UW PHOTOGRAPHERS going to Baja Mexico:

Started by divrndeep ·

  • 114Posts
  • 114Replies

Read-only discussion

ATTENTION: UW PHOTOGRAPHERS going to Baja Mexico:

114 posts
  1. They searched my bag.  The supervisor said that I only have to pay duties on the housing once and I can show the payment form next time I come to Mexico, but from looking at the form further I'm not so sure.

  2. On 12/5/2021 at 5:34 PM, Freelio said:

    They searched my bag.  The supervisor said that I only have to pay duties on the housing once and I can show the payment form next time I come to Mexico, but from looking at the form further I'm not so sure.

    Any chance you can post a pic of the form so I can translate it for you guys?

    Thanks

  3. On 1/25/2022 at 11:20 AM, elmelodico said:

    Any chance you can post a pic of the form so I can translate it for you guys?

    Thanks

     

    20220207_124642.jpg

    20220207_124653.jpg

    20220207_124709.jpg

    20220207_124717.jpg

    20220207_124726.jpg

    20220207_124731.jpg

    20220207_124748.jpg

    20220207_124755.jpg

    20220207_124803.jpg

    20220207_124807.jpg

  4. Thanks @Freelio. I wasn't expecting such a detailed (and rambling) document; it even talks about sandwich ingredients (I'm not kidding). Here are the highlights:

    According to the following bit, any cases, housings and other container that is specifically designed and sold with a camera, musical instrument, etc, will be tax free. It also states that any of these containers should be esencial for the items' proper and prolonged functioning, which is exactly what housings are for when you want to take them underwater, but hey, I don't make the rules.

    So basically, that is the criteria they are using: since Nauticam sells the housings separately (although they are specifically designed for each model), they can apply tax to it because it wasn't sold by the manufacturer with the camera itself. 

    I was also surprised to see the both the random price they agreed upon and its corresponding tax. I still think this is absurd, but I also reckon we can all agree $57 bucks is not a lot. The problem, I guess, is actually making the customs officer agree with such a "suggested retail price". The other problem I noticed is that it doesn't say absolutely anywhere about not having to pay that duty again.

    Good to know, thanks again for posting it.

    Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 19.09.43.png

    Edited by elmelodico
  5. After researching this further, there is indeed a legal basis to charge a 16% tax on many goods brought into the country.  Personally, I think a dive camera housing is an accessory and should not be taxed, but according to one liveaboard operator down there "a camera housing is considered professional equipment and is not on the acceptable list of sporting goods equipment that can be brought into the country."

    That same liveaboard provides this information:

    "CARNET;  A carnet is a document that allows for the temporary importation of goods including “professional equipment”.  The price for a carnet would be $500 – $525.  A company that can help you with this is Boomerang Carnets www.atacarnet.com

    The individual applies on-line for this and it should be done a minimum of one week in advance. The carnet takes 24-48 hours but the company also has to register it in Mexico so it is wise to add 2-3 days for this.  The individual would need to supply a copy of their most recent tax return. They can black out their social security number.  Once they get the carnet and they arrive in Mexico, they show the carnet to customs. This should let them bring the housing into the country. When they exit Mexico, they need to go to customs again to show that the housing is leaving the country.  A carnet lasts for six months and can be extended."

    The fact that this is a federal tax and yet is not imposed in Cozumel, Cancun, or other locations still makes me view it as a local scam.  It is unfortunate, because six of us were planning a liveaboard trip, but of that six, three are photographers and we are just not willing to add hundreds of dollars each to the price to our trip.  With recent Nauticam price increases, I could face a huge tax bill on my housing.  Neither do any of us want to be forced into the role of smugglers or have to worry about whether we will be "selected" on the way there.  What with covid tests and mask mandates and such, travel is already more of a hassle than before.

    There are lots of places to dive.  I would rather add that $500-$1000 "fee" to my airfare or dive op or liveaboard costs instead and go someplace other than Mexico.  I guess I may never make it to Socorro.

    I don't "blame" anyone who chooses to go, but going and paying just reinforces and rewards the practice.

  6. If there was some kind of 50usd tax for whatever reason, I could swallow it. But many of us are not rich divers (well, some of us) and its not like we do diving on top of everything else. We do diving instead of everything else. 

     

    Meaning we don't have a spare 16% of a nauticam housing to spend, on top of a very expensive trip.

     

    I agree with the sentiment here, whilst there's not many of us, the easiest way to make a change here is to boicott such practices.

     

    Professionals will need to go there regardless for work, but for amateurs we can go elsewhere that is more accepting of our activities. We can also contact the biggest housing manufacturers (marelux, ikelite, nauticam etc.) and see if they have input or sway.

     

    I'd be happy paying an admin fee weeks in advance to process papers and get stuff done, but paying a random amount of money dependant on how lucky I am when I arrive - no bueno Sir. 

     

    Baja is MASSIVELY on my bucket list but I won't be visiting under these circumstances.

  7. sinetwo: 

    Consider going to the Cocos rather than Socorro. Some similarity in the big animals, plus a country that is relatively safe and and a government that is tourist friendly unlike Mexico.

    Mexico was off my list for now, possibly forever and that includes Cancún for whale sharks and Cozumel for drift diving.

    The only way we can vote is with our pocketbook. 

  8. @divengolf I wanted to go to Baja for all the big stuff, not necessarily Socorro, but I'll look into Cocos.

     

    Be aware the Cozumel and Quintana Roo do not have these restrictions - I've been there twice and no one I know has had this imposed on them. Mexico overall is an absolutely amazing and lovely place, so I wouldn't boicott those places! 

  9. Always wondered if it''d be worth grabbing the carnet as I bring stuff on more international travels.  Usually just the security deposit that isn't ideal depending on how much I bring along/register...

  10. Has anyone had this this tariff issue with rented gear?  

  11. I had that happen to me in 2017 on my way to Socorro. At the time, no one else on the Nautilus boat had that happen to them. So, they might be stepping up their game since then. The one thing I WAS told was that I wouldn’t have to pay the fee again next time I came through Mexico, as long as I had that papers Customs gave me. So now those papers are permanently in a zip lock bag in my dive bag. Were any of you who got hit with the fee told that? 

  12. I have been to Cabo with a housing about 5 times in the last 2 years, without issue. Granted, I have never hit the red light while diving.  However, I do not have hard sided luggage, my camera gear and regs is in a soft-sided Patagonia bag. I am not sure if that works, but I can guarantee that I will have a receipt value of a refurbished non/branded housing that fits a price I do not find too egregious. 

  13.  

    Just reading this thread, it's scary !!  I am going to Cancun in August, is it risky of bringing my dslr housing and strobe ??!!  It's pretty old camera but still ....

  14. CADiver,

      I have not had nor heard of any issues with Cancun or Cozumel. La Paz & Cabo San Lucas are the destinations that ding you for 16% of the cost that your camera & housing are worth . The customs agents now research your gear online while you wait and charge you that percentage of what they find on their internet search. 

     After 15 years of diving & enjoying underwater photography,  I stopped diving after my trip to La Paz in 2019 and donated ALL of my high end diving gear, dive computers, AND all my underwater photography gear (cam, housing, strobes, etc) to the dive team on the boat.

      It was a great trip and I saw everything I wanted to see, but I knew in my heart that I was DONE spending thousands upon thousands of dollars per year on dive & photo gear plus the cost to carry 100 extra lbs of gear on every trip. The travel industry gouges us on every level and La Paz extortion fees was just the last straw to break the camel's back. 

      I have evolved to land photography and now enjoy world travel more since my load is lighter and I don't have to pay extortion fees for my underwater equipment.

     

  15. On 7/14/2022 at 11:29 PM, CADiver said:

     

    Just reading this thread, it's scary !!  I am going to Cancun in August, is it risky of bringing my dslr housing and strobe ??!!  It's pretty old camera but still ....

    I've never had any issues going to Cancun or Cozumel with my UW camera equipment....it's been a non issue there.

  16. This tread is, for me, a great warning to go to Baja Mexico (I was there once in 91, it was phantastic, but under these circumstances I will certainly refrain from going there by airoplane). I am not going to be the idiot for the mexican border guards...

    I have a question: Does anybody know how the situation is, when going there by rental car, just from California (US) via the street? Do they apply at this border the same stupid rules?

    The reason, why I am asking, is that I will retire in two weeks and will have plenty of time :yahoo:. I have been once in California (Pasadena) for a year and still have very good friends there, that I plan to visit on this occasion (including dives in the kelpforests there). They suggested that we make a  roadtrip down to Baja California (starting fom LA) together. I only will join, when the regulations at the regular border at the road are less stupid, as I intend to take all my UW-photographic equipment with me...

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  17. 20 minutes ago, Architeuthis said:

    The reason, why I am asking, is that I will retire in two weeks and will have plenty of time :yahoo:

    Yay! Congratulations! I hope you have a very long and fun-filled one. I can recommend it!

  18. 4 hours ago, Architeuthis said:

    This tread is, for me, a great warning to go to Baja Mexico (I was there once in 91, it was phantastic, but under these circumstances I will certainly refrain from going there by airoplane). I am not going to be the idiot for the mexican border guards...

    I have a question: Does anybody know how the situation is, when going there by rental car, just from California (US) via the street? Do they apply at this border the same stupid rules?

    The reason, why I am asking, is that I will retire in two weeks and will have plenty of time :yahoo:. I have been once in California (Pasadena) for a year and still have very good friends there, that I plan to visit on this occasion (including dives in the kelpforests there). They suggested that we make a  roadtrip down to Baja California (starting fom LA) together. I only will join, when the regulations at the regular border at the road are less stupid, as I intend to take all my UW-photographic equipment with me... 

     

    Wolfgang

    Congrats Wolfgang! I've heard that if you drive; it should be fine as it's only the custom agents at the airports in Baja that rip you off.

  19. I've done a lot of road trips into Mexico with underwater camera equipment and never had any issues with customs agents in Mexico. Regulations do limit the number of cameras you can bring, but I've never been questioned about how many cameras I've got.

    -Tinman

  20. I'm considering a dive charter that runs from the top of the Gulf down to La Paz, as it will let me get one tour of the area I've not been, without having to meet the gauntlet.  

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.