Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

ATTENTION: UW PHOTOGRAPHERS going to Baja Mexico:

Started by divrndeep ·

  • 114Posts
  • 114Replies

Read-only discussion

ATTENTION: UW PHOTOGRAPHERS going to Baja Mexico:

114 posts
  1. 7 hours ago, calbeardiver said:

    I'm considering a dive charter that runs from the top of the Gulf down to La Paz, as it will let me get one tour of the area I've not been, without having to meet the gauntlet.  

    Hi Calbeardiver,

    This sound sinteresting. Could you disclose the adress of this charter?

    Wolfgang

  2. On 9/2/2022 at 12:18 AM, Architeuthis said:

    Hi Calbeardiver,

    This sound sinteresting. Could you disclose the adress of this charter?

    Wolfgang

    I'm sorry I missed your question when it could have been useful information.

    Blue Water Photo in LA ran the trip which started last week (22nd) for 12 days on the Rocio Del Mar.   Charter price was 4495.  

    BW has a couple of these each year, but I suspect the boats do it more frequently - iow, this isn't a repositioning charter.   If you want the full trip description, PM me and I'll send a url (which otherwise might border on advertizing?).  

  3. Has anyone else been charged the 16% tax for strobes/lights, or is it the norm to charge “only” on the housing?

  4. Hello all

    Any recent up-to-date Intel on the La Paz, Cabo photo equipment "Tax" situation?

    I am considering Socorro again, but this issue would likely kibosh that. Got heavily dinged in 2018.

    Thanks in advance.

    Ian

  5. On 1/9/2023 at 5:43 PM, ianmarsh said:

    Hello all

    Any recent up-to-date Intel on the La Paz, Cabo photo equipment "Tax" situation?

    I am considering Socorro again, but this issue would likely kibosh that. Got heavily dinged in 2018.

    Thanks in advance.

    Ian

    Are you still using the same housing?   It's supposed to be a one time robbery, so if you already got taken, and haven't moved onto new gear (or still willing to use the older one), bring your receipt along.  

  6. Wow... good info. Would never have thought of that!. I have moved on, so moot for me, but great info for others.

    Thanks

    Ian

  7. I'm heading there in three weeks, fingers crossed....

  8. Worst case is they pull you in the back and bargain with you on price.  They didn't even write the model of the housing, just black Nauticam housing.  So I paid a couple of hundred and never have to worry again as long as I'm bringing in a "black nauticam" housing (and as long as I have the paperwork with me).

  9. I have presented this option before but not received any affirmation. If, as a foreign traveler, you entered Mexico via another port of entry (not Tijuana), passed immigration and spent a day or so then flew to SJC (San Jose del Cabo) domestically perhaps from Mexico city, Guadalajara,  etc would you be subject to this immigration 'shakedown'? The reason I keep wondering is that I have asked friends who are Mexican nationals and UW photographers if they get hit up with these "taxes" in SJC when they arrive and they say NO. I would love to return to Baja via SJC with my UW camera gear but for last few years have avoided it. I live in California, so close but so far ~~~

    Edited by Eyematey
  10. I successfully used a Boomerang carnet for travel with 2x Nauticam housings from my home in WA state to Baja (SJD airport) in April 2022. My cost was just over $500 for about $21k of gear. No problems. But you need to schedule your flights to allow enough time to deal with the customs' inspections/stamps/paperwork. I will be traveling with the same gear to SJD again in March 2023, and if all goes as advertised, will be able to use the same carnet again. But not again after that, as it is valid for 1 year only.

  11. An update to my previous post- the carnet worked again in late March 2023. So I avoided paying anything extra for 2 housings. (But it won't work for the next trip, as it will expire.) Some friends, without a carnet, made it through with one housing each without being searched and therefore charged. Another person was very unlucky and searched and charged nearly $500 for a single housing. So the problem still exists. But anecdotally, according to a local uw tour operator, the problem many not be as bad as before...

  12. On 3/27/2023 at 1:46 PM, brandoncole said:

    An update to my previous post- the carnet worked again in late March 2023. So I avoided paying anything extra for 2 housings. (But it won't work for the next trip, as it will expire.) Some friends, without a carnet, made it through with one housing each without being searched and therefore charged. Another person was very unlucky and searched and charged nearly $500 for a single housing. So the problem still exists. But anecdotally, according to a local uw tour operator, the problem many not be as bad as before...

    Thank you for confirming this. Mexico is not the only country that charges duty on camera gear. Traveling full time internationally there are 2 things I buy for the entire year: Annual travel insurance through DAN, and a Boomerang Carnet for all the countries I plan to visit (including Belize where I am currently). 

  13. On 3/28/2023 at 10:40 PM, LarryHallas said:

    Thank you for confirming this. Mexico is not the only country that charges duty on camera gear. Traveling full time internationally there are 2 things I buy for the entire year: Annual travel insurance through DAN, and a Boomerang Carnet for all the countries I plan to visit (including Belize where I am currently). 

    I have not heard of nor experienced other places charging tourists an import tax/duty for cameras, housings etc.  I have been to many of the Caribbean countries, most of Europe and to places in the Pacific region, but have lots of places still to see.  Since I always have to travel to dive, I think it would be interesting and valuable to know where this duty situation occurs.  I have spent a lot of time in Mexico over many years and at this point just won't go to Cabo and play that game.  I would love to hear from you or others about your experiences or knowledge about this at other locations.  Your post inspired me to do an internet search and I could not find any helpful information.

    Edit to add: perhaps this should be its own thread?

     

     

     

    Edited by Draq
  14. 1 hour ago, Draq said:

    Edit to add: perhaps this should be its own thread?

     

    If we get some useful info together about other taxed destinations, I'll set something up.

    Like you, Draq, I've never experienced anything like the Mexico situation and have traveled pretty widely for diving.

  15. 1 minute ago, TimG said:

    If we get some useful info together about other taxed destinations, I'll set something up.

    Like you, Draq, I've never experienced anything like the Mexico situation and have traveled pretty widely for diving.

    Thanks. 

  16. On 3/30/2023 at 9:57 AM, TimG said:

    I've never experienced anything like the Mexico situation and have traveled pretty widely for diving.

    Belize tried to charge me duty several times as I was re-entering the country. It could also be that I travel in-out frequently with my gear and have a lot of stamps in my passport. Cozumel pulled me aside one time and had me open my case. She asked me how many cameras I had and when I said one, she said “all this for one camera?” I said yes, it was all underwater photography equipment used with one camera and she let me go.

    What scares me is they have threatened to confiscate my equipment and there is not much I can do to stop them unless I am traveling with a Carnet. Also, since I have been traveling with a Carnet they let me go right through without checking any of my bags.

    Here is a photo of a note they wrote in my passport one time  saying they would charge me duty for 10,000 US if I did not have the equipment when I left the country. I got it cleared up with the “EXPORTED” stamp when I re-entered the country from the U.S. with a Carnet. 

    467682FC-8ECC-4AA9-AB27-BB775EA6A606.jpeg

    Edited by LarryHallas
  17. I have bought my housing second hand so my only receipt is a copy of my wire transfer (which isn't quite itemized lol)

    has anyone had any experience with used housings and receipts?  or most likely they will just look it up online at a new retail cost? Planning on going in October 

  18. In my experiencebof going through SJD. When people comment that customs workers will actively seek out peli cases etc is wrong. I can only speak from my one time of going through SJD airport. But, the people ahead of me in the queue were filming a music video, on the plane and the airport. They had two camera people filming openly in front of the customs workers, plus carrying camera equipment.  When they got to the "randomizer" and blow and behold, they got flashed green straight ahead. So i do believe the randomizer is in fact random.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.