Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
New Nauticam Wet Wideangle WWL-C
Started by tursiops ·
- 46Posts
- 46Replies
Read-only discussion
New Nauticam Wet Wideangle WWL-C
-
-
it is interesting that the LX10 is not mentioned in the compatibility list?
Sony confirms best compatibility for the range together with the TG-5 series however those cameras work fine with older design like UWL-04 already
-
I thought the same thing. Most interesting thing about this will probably be the price compared to the full sized WWL. The 500€ are only a deposit I believe.
-
The obvious upside to this new lens is that you can zoom through to 24mm which many older compact wet lenses do not allow you to do. The lens is very low profile, works with the bayonet mounting system to move between C/U lens and wide. Unlike the larger WWL-1 the WWL-C has a built in buoyancy collar.
-
So, a 0.42x converter? Instead of 0.36x so far?
It's not quite rational, but I'm kind of getting the hots for a Sony RX100V with this.
(Not rational because I have a Panasonic LX100 now.) -
So, a 0.42x converter? Instead of 0.36x so far?
It's not quite rational, but I'm kind of getting the hots for a Sony RX100V with this.
(Not rational because I have a Panasonic LX100 now.)
The zoom range depends on the port system. The models that have a fixed port perform over the full zoom range
I would expect the Panasonic LX10 to work well as the RX100
The 0.42x means nothing like 0.36x
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
10 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:
The 0.42x means nothing like 0.36x
I did express myself a bit muddily. I was thinking:
The WACP and, IIRC, the WWL-1 are 0.36x converters working from 28 mm equivalent*, giving a 28-70 mm lens (equiv) a field of view corresponding to 10-25 mm. I haven't done the calculation right now (still early...) but I think 10 mm equiv is 130 degrees.
If this one gives 130 degrees at 24 mm equivalent, that should correspond to a 10/24 = 0.42x converter. With the amount of workable zoom-through depending on specific camera/port.Is that wrong?
*with "28 mm equivalent" I mean a focal length giving, on the camera in question, a field of view equivalent to 28 mm focal length on a full frame camera.
-
25 minutes ago, horvendile said:
I did express myself a bit muddily. I was thinking:
The WACP and, IIRC, the WWL-1 are 0.36x converters working from 28 mm equivalent*, giving a 28-70 mm lens (equiv) a field of view corresponding to 10-25 mm. I haven't done the calculation right now (still early...) but I think 10 mm equiv is 130 degrees.
If this one gives 130 degrees at 24 mm equivalent, that should correspond to a 10/24 = 0.42x converter. With the amount of workable zoom-through depending on specific camera/port.Is that wrong?
*with "28 mm equivalent" I mean a focal length giving, on the camera in question, a field of view equivalent to 28 mm focal length on a full frame camera.
No that is correct on the diagonal but I do not shoot diagonals I shoot horizontal subject so the WACP and WWL-1 on that axis are 0.5x and this new lens 0.58x
Check the table here https://interceptor121.com/2019/05/12/nauticam-wwl-1the-best-wide-angle-lens-for-underwater-video-on-the-gh5-and-other-micro-four-thirds/
-
5 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:
No that is correct on the diagonal but I do not shoot diagonals I shoot horizontal subject so the WACP and WWL-1 on that axis are 0.5x and this new lens 0.58x
Check the table here https://interceptor121.com/2019/05/12/nauticam-wwl-1the-best-wide-angle-lens-for-underwater-video-on-the-gh5-and-other-micro-four-thirds/
Right! I get it. Thanks!
-
I too am very interested in this lens. I hope not listing the LX10 case is just an oversight because I'm not looking to get a different camera at this point.
Will Nauticam be able to solve the corner softness and significant vignetting that most of the other wide angle lenses have with compact 24mm cameras?
-
It appears to be more like the WWL-1 than like "most of the other wide angle lenses." And the WWL-1 is unique among wet lenses in NOT having the corner softness problem.
-
Nauticam doesn’t create optics copying others or planning to deliver substandard products
I would expect this has been carefully designed and (by the time it comes out) tested
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
I was interested enough in the compatibility with their LX10 case that I messaged Nautiacam and they said,
"This combination [NA-LX10 + WWL-C] hasn't been tested yet, but we will evaluate for compatibility before the lens ships."
So, it wasn't excluded from the list on purpose. When finally tested, I'm definitely hoping it works well with the LX10.
-
There is so little information out there about how this lens performs. Can anyone who has the WWL-C give some feedback? Bonus points for comparisons with the WWL-1.
-
12 hours ago, Wah said:
There is so little information out there about how this lens performs. Can anyone who has the WWL-C give some feedback? Bonus points for comparisons with the WWL-1.
I think it is very new, and since its release late last year, very few people have actually managed to get one underwater so far. I am sure that as people manage to get out diving more, they will be sharing their findings
-
For A6XXX/Nauticam users, I have inquired and not really been answered but this lens is so all new. I think that the Sony E16mm prime (using the very short Nauticam dedicated threaded port for that 16mm lens) would be compatible with the WWL-C in much the same way the discontinued (but available) Sigma 19mm Art lens works with the WWL-1 and Macro Port 35. If so it would be a significantly shorter assembly on the housing and there is the built in float collar which is sort of nice compared to the WWL-1 floaty collar. It has one less element in the groups so it might not be as fully corrected. I suspect either the WWL-1 or the WWL-C are sharper than the lenses often used with them, zoom or prime, so neither would be a weak link. The port chart supports the Sony kit lens, Macro Port 35 and the WWL-C with possible vignetting at the 16mm setting and full zoom through.
-
I bought the WWL-C Lens about a week ago and have used it only in my pool.
I have a Nauticam LX 10 housing. So far it looks great with no vignetting and
corner to corner sharpness also looks great. I also have the WWL-1 Lens that I was using on the same Housing and a Ikelite TG-5 Housing. I prefer the new WWL-C Lens over the WWL-1
-
Marc, that's sounds great. I've been waiting for quite a while to hear some actual experiences with the WWL-C, especially with the Nauticam LX10 housing. I thought about buying one a few months ago when both Backscatter and Bluewater had their huge sale that included Nauticam, but I couldn't spend $1k+ on a lens without some sort of review from somebody.
Regarding vignetting, do you need to zoom to eliminate it? In your post above, you imply that it's not needed. However, Nauticam's compatibility chart for the WWL-C states that the LX10 working focal range is 32-72mm, which would require considerable zoom since the camera starts at 24mm.
If it truly has corner-to-corner sharpness, that puts it way above any other wide angle lens for the LX10, in my opinion.
Please keep us posted with any other insights and experiences with the lens.
-
I might have spoken to soon I'm having a problem with the Lens. I am working on the problem with Mike from Backscatter and will update you as soon as possible. In the mean time I would hold off on buying the Lens.
-
On 6/1/2020 at 8:08 PM, Marc Furth said:
I might have spoken to soon I'm having a problem with the Lens. I am working on the problem with Mike from Backscatter and will update you as soon as possible. In the mean time I would hold off on buying the Lens.
What kind of problems?
