What a timely thread. After diving with a Cobra dive computer since 2006, I've finally changed to a wrist computer (Suunto D5). I too am very interested in using the computer mounted somewhere other than my wrist. As I've never used a wrist computer before, I'm interested in all sorts of options and stories about usage.
My divemaster in Roatan has used a wrist computer for years attached to the front of his BCD. I see him glancing down at it during the dive, and while it may be a bit more convenient than me pulling my Cobra up to look at it, it's still about the same process. Since I have a big camera rig in front of me at all times, it sure seems a suitable place to put it.
Some basic questions:
1. Strobe interfering with dive computer when triggered? I never heard of that before, so I'm wondering if it could every happen to me.
2. Prefer left or right side strobe arm?
3. How to orient the computer to be readable?
4. Problem distance from computer (D5 for me) and air pressure transmitter?
5. Use the supplied wrist strap, or come up with something else?
I will have no backup computer, so I'm a bit worried about stories I hear of communications problems (how much does this happen), and battery life. I could bring my Cobra, but I wouldn't want it hooked up at the same time (more hoses), and anyway the Cobra would probably lock itself out from deco being ignored where I'd not be in deco on the new computer.
My main reason for bringing along the old computer would be if I got out on the boat and noticed I didn't have enough battery life to dive because I forgot to charge it overnight.