Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon G7X Mark III or Sony RX100 Mark VII?

Started by WetPup ·

  • 25Posts
  • 25Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon G7X Mark III or Sony RX100 Mark VII?

25 posts
  1. 2 hours ago, nokie said:

    If you go for the Nauticam housing (600€ more than the Fantasea), you will get the full 200mm on the RX100, but I would argue you can get a macro lense for less. Of course Nauticam is very good quality, so if that is the preference, the RX100 becomes a bit more attractive.

    You need a macro lens (or rather a diopter) with either camera, as neither of them can focus closely at longer zoom extension. However, RX100 VII will give you more magnification with the appropriate diopter. Also, Nauticam is not the only option for RX100 VII - SeaFrogs Salted Line ($247) with macro port ($99) will let you use it at full zoom.

  2. I was not aware of seafrogs salted line (I thought they only had the standard version which is limited to 40m). I can’t really judge ergonomics on this one and if you have access to all controls. I am also not sure if you can add a wide angle lens on the macro port like I want to do.

    but if ergonomics are ok, I would agree this is the better option if you only go for macro.

    i spoke to the guy from the shop here this morning, he said the canon and the Sony were on par for macro, wide angle the Sony is the better choice...

  3. 1 hour ago, nokie said:

    I was not aware of seafrogs salted line (I thought they only had the standard version which is limited to 40m). I can’t really judge ergonomics on this one and if you have access to all controls. I am also not sure if you can add a wide angle lens on the macro port like I want to do.

    I use the A6xxx Salted Line housing with an A6300 and I'm happy with the ergonomics. All the controls are accessible. The RX100 Salted Line, judging by the photos, also exposes all the controls, including the rear dial (unlike their earlier RX100 housings).

    For wide-angle, you have a choice of bundled flat port (allows full range of 24 to 200mm, but does not allow wet lens attachment and does the normal flat port shrinking, so not really that wide), short macro port (allows wet lenses but limits lens extension), and a choice of domes (same mount as the A6xxx housing, so you get 4", 6" and 8" options).

  4. i'm still with g7x mark i from the past 5 years with nauticam housing and n50 port and still happy with it except for the video part. looking forward to upgrade but damn, everything gets more expensive. do check out some of my g7x uw photos on my ig if you like to.

    https://www.instagram.com/fizrinizam/

  5. Hi I have the same doubt

    I am downsizing from an a6000 with 90mm macro in salted line case

    I would like to know if the animal eye af of rx100vii works underwater and if not why choosing the vii over the vi

    Probabily for fish portrait the Sony lens is more versatile

    Buone bolle

    Lulazz

     

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.