I'm looking to get a uw camera, and is currently stuck in the trade-off between weight and performance. Smaller size may be a bonus, but not a selection criteria for me.
- Does anybody have real world experience with actual weight differences between different rigs?
- How much more/less does equal configurations weigh depending on camera format?
- If you traded up or down due to weight - was thet compromises worth it?
I use Sony FF topside, and size/weight not being an issue, I would prefer diving with that. But weight is a significant consideration when travelling, so I have to take that into account.
I have been reading that smaller formats yield "much smaller rigs", but depending on the configuration I'm only seeing about a 20-30% difference in overall weight. My observations for wide angle configurations:
- An Oly 9-18mm m43 requires an 180mm dome. As does a Sony 16-35 FF, so only difference is down to lens and port extension, which does not amount to much.
- Weight difference between a housed (Nauticam) RX100 and A7RIII is about 1kg.
- Total weight difference between an RX100 rig and an A7RIII rig both with WWL is about 1,4kg (from camera, housing and lens).
An RX100 rig with dual Inon D-200 strobes versus an A7RIII rig with dual Retra strobes both in NA housing is almost 2kg difference so that is starting to be meaningful, and the difference for macro capability is an additional 800g or so.
Price is of course also a factor but for equal configurations, it comes down to the cost of housing (assuming I have the camera and lenses), and the difference there is an acceptable trade-off to me for the better handling and performance.


