Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Practical size and weight differences between different camera formats

Started by strandbygaard ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Practical size and weight differences between different camera formats

24 posts
  1. 50 minutes ago, nudibranco said:

    my 9-18mm  lens requires a 4" nauticam port (100mm).

     

    I saw that listed in the NA port chart. Any idea how it performs in that port compared with e.g. a 7" port?

  2. 5 minutes ago, strandbygaard said:

    I saw that listed in the NA port chart. Any idea how it performs in that port compared with e.g. a 7" port?

    I cannot say how the zuiko 9-18mm performs behind the 100 port, but we have the lens. My wife was using it first behind a flat port (also recommended as a solution by Olympus) and now is using it behind the Zen DP170 (170 mm) port. The IQ is no comparison, flat port @9mm is ugly...

    Wolfgang

  3. My parents are using the 9-18 in a Subal 6inch dome. Corners are alright but not great, although Subal doesn’t provide any data about extension length. My 8-18 in 7 inch dome is clearly better. 

  4. The 9-18mm in the 4" nauticam port works better than most other ports.  It is a semidome and much more compact than the 7" one.  However I did not have a chance to test the 7" port.  The flat parts are terrible as expected.  

    However a +2 achromatic addon to the lens inside the port will improve the corners considerably if you want best quality below F8.0.

    Frankly I hardly use it and much prefer the 8mm fisheye lens which focuses so close to get CFWA capability.  I can even get a reasonable nudibranch picture with the 3.5" dome port from Nauticam.  And it is a VERY sharp lens.  You can defish it if you do not like fisheye distortion.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.