Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Calling all Underwater Image Makers

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 87Posts
  • 87Replies

Read-only discussion

Calling all Underwater Image Makers

87 posts
  1. Dive site: Mini Log, Anilao, Philippines

    Diver operator and resort: Buceo Anilao (nice place to stay and a good dive operation)

    With special thanks to troporobo for all his terrific help when my partner and I were looking for advice on Philippines diving

    Nikon D500, Nikkor 105mm lens ISO200 1/160 f13. A pair of Inon Z240 strobes

    Some years ago whilst working as the dive manger of a resort in the Lembeh Straits, I hit a real plateau in u/w photography. One of the guests who was staying at the time talked to me about "neutral space". This, for me, came to be a patch of background which would allow the shape or colour of the main subject to stand out and form either perhaps a pattern or highlight a colour. The background was, in fact, a neutral, effectless platform. (I hope that doesn't sound too pretentious!).

    So I saw this goby sitting up on a  bit of coral with the colour of the eyes in contrast to all around it. I wanted the eye on the rule-of-thirds intersect line - and set the aperture so that I would have enough of the head in focus - especially of course the eyes, but blurred out the rest so that it became a neutral canvas. Only the eyes were to be sharp, colourful and striking.

     

    TG45848.jpg

    Edited by TimG
  2. Here few pics from my archive.

     

    DosM_4905.jpg.da21082dce809a1bc3c9cc91e1ff9910.jpg

    Location: Tulamben

    DosM_4701_A.jpg.eddada0502d7b6f3d1877fc076a34007.jpg

    Location: Fakarava south

    DosM_7915.jpg.adad155f684a5ce3723d7da75c83b469.jpg

    Location: Pandar Island

    DosM_8290.jpg.1873d00db4db26cebbeb740ed14d9b3b.jpg

    Location: Alor

    DosM_87297.jpg.8e3fc2b201558fb0c67b675053031372.jpg

    Location: Protea Banks

    Br Markus

  3. Nice, Marcus! The turtle mirror image is lovely.

  4. baby basket stars DSC06796aaa lr.jpg

    Black Durgon DSC07218a lr.jpg

    carribean reef octopus DSC07439aa lr.jpg

    spotted scorpionfish DSC02443a lr.jpg

    arrow crab DSC07254a lr.jpg

    green moray DSC09508aa lr.jpg

    Loggerhead Turtle - DSC02681a lr.jpg

  5. Really nice goby pic, Gerard!

     

  6. that one was with the subsee +5 or +10 attached. I should write these things down. Was at yellow submarine I think. Som nice big blobs of coral with quite a few of these in sand

  7. I always think most macro images benefit from either shooting up or, at least, shooting on a level with the subject. Hence my post about using a 45-degree viewfinder a couple of days ago. I found this made a huge difference to how I could compose images.

    This ?Goldentail Moray (Gymnothorax milaris) was on the Windsock dive site in Bonaire.

    If you havn't dived in Bonaire, I can heartily recommend it for u/w photography. Easy shore diving, 3-4 dives a day perfectly manageable. Not too difficult shore entries at many sites. An island environment that caters very well to divers - but isn't crowded or over run. Mainly macro but also some good wide-angle stuff. A couple of wrecks. Water in the 27-28 degree range. The reefs in fairly good shape and recovering nicely after a major hurricane hit (unusual for Bonaire) really damaged them. Fairly easy to access - about an 11 hour flight from Europe via Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam

    Nikon D800 with Nikkor 105mm lens. ISO 200 1/125 at f/16 and a pair of Inon Z240 strobes.

     

    TG39436.jpg

  8. A large female tiger shark (Galeocerdo cuvier) swims serenely by a diver at Grand Bahama's Tiger Beach.

    Large numbers of females gather in the area, the majority of which seem to be pregnant. The exact reasons for this are unknown, but it is surmised that the sheltered water of the Bahamas Banks, along with a proximity to mangroves for them to pup and to protect the vulnerable young sharks may be the reason.
    Diving with the amazing Epic Diving
    Nikon D810, Sigma Imaging UK 15mm f/2.8, SEACAM CP port, SEACAM Seaflash 150 strobes. 1/200@f/10, ISO200.160313-ahanlon-15593.jpg
     

    Backlit by an INON global Z240 strobe triggered by a Anglerfish Creative Lighting trigger, this Norton motorbike is a much photographed relic of war in the holds of the famous wreck of SS Thistlegorm at Sha'ab Ali, Red Sea, Egypt.

    Diving with Tornado Marine Fleet, organized by Scuba Travel

    Nikon D810, Kenko Tokina 17mm f/3.5. SEACAM Superdome. On camera strobes were SEACAM Seaflash 150s. 1/125@f/10, ISO3200

    160613-ahanlon-18449.jpg

  9. Two terrific pics, Adam.

  10. Black and white images are not something that usually springs to mind when shooting underwater. But as a couple of Adam's terrific pictures above show, it is well worth trying.

    This one was shot on Elphinstone Reef - a very popular dive site in the northern Red Sea. Despite the appearance, the Gorgonian fan coral was maybe 1 metre from the camera. I took several shots with my partner moving towards the fan to get her into the position I wanted... and then legs/fins in a nice position.... and exhaling.....and her eyes open.....

    Dive operator: Emperor Divers on their terrific boat, the MV Superior

    Nikon D800 with Sigma 15mm 1/60, f/11 and two Inon Z240 strobes

    TG40694.jpg

    Edited by TimG
  11. would that not just look better in colour? I dont mind black and white, but that is always what I think firstly.

     

     

     

    Edited by TimG
  12. Another older freshwater video (sorry again for the German text)

     

  13. A small school of schoolmaster grunts (Lutjanus apodus) under the dive boat at San Salvador, Bahamas. The out islands of the Bahamas offer some of the best coral reef and scenic diving in the Caribbean
    Nikon D800, Kenko Tokina 17mm f/3.5, SEACAM Superdome, SEACAM Seaflash 150 strobes. 1/125@f/14, ISO200
     
    140528-ahanlon-88923.jpg
     
    A super macro close up of a Nembrotha kubaryana nudibranch. Super macro lenses have the advantage of a very shallow depth of field, which ensures that when animals are is less then ideal positions, you can still capture pleasing images by just letting the background be defocused.
     
    Taken in the Lembeh Straits, Indonesia, diving with Critters at Lembeh Resort.

    Nikon D500, Nikon 60mm f/2.8, Nauticam CMC2, SEACAM Seaflash 60D strobe. 1/250@f/29, ISO160
     

    IMG_4008.jpg
  14. If you are looking to photograph pygmy seahorses, then the Lembeh Straits in North Sulawesi, Indonesia is a great place to go.

    There are loads of excellent resorts to chose from - including a couple that advertise here on Wetpixel.

    Pygmy seahorses generally sit on gorgonians at about 20m-25m and camouflage incredibly well. They are also VERY shy (not to mention very small) and will turn away from a camera in a blink.

    This one, a hippocampus bargibanti, was happily sitting on the Batu Merah dive site.

    Nikon D300, Nikkor 105mm lens ISO 200 1/250 f/11 and two Inon Z240 strobes.

    TG23647.jpg

  15. Great picture Tim.  Looks like a baby swaddled in a blanket!

  16. Tim, that is a great shot of the pygmy.  I love the depth created by the foreground and background bokeh.  Well done.

    I have been obsessed with trying to get a great head-on bargibanti portrait for years.  They are fiendishly shy and will turn their backs before you've even spotted them, which is itself difficult to begin with.  Fortunately, I get to dive year round in Anilao so have had my share of opportunities.  The yellow pygmy in profile was at Kirby's Rock.  The pink one was at one of the "on-shore" sites near Acacia. Finally, one looked at me!  But I had not really thought about the fact that their eyes swivel independently.  Bugger.  I'll have to keep trying.  

    Both taken with Olympus m4/3 60mm lens and Subsee +5

    34929310880_e28b88f731_k.jpg

    49754831861_dc7e422ac6_c.jpg

     

  17. 8 hours ago, troporobo said:

    Tim, that is a great shot of the pygmy.  I love the depth created by the foreground and background bokeh.  Well done.

    I have been obsessed with trying to get a great head-on bargibanti portrait for years.  They are fiendishly shy and will turn their backs before you've even spotted them, which is itself difficult to begin with.  Fortunately, I get to dive year round in Anilao so have had my share of opportunities.  The yellow pygmy in profile was at Kirby's Rock.  The pink one was at one of the "on-shore" sites near Acacia. Finally, one looked at me!  But I had not really thought about the fact that their eyes swivel independently.  Bugger.  I'll have to keep trying.  

    Both taken with Olympus m4/3 60mm lens and Subsee +5

    34929310880_e28b88f731_k.jpg

    49754831861_dc7e422ac6_c.jpg

     

    Woah, those are two cracking images - the pink bargibanti especially. I've never spotted the swivel eye thing. Little devils!

  18. While we are on Pygmy;s here a a few more. 

     

    Tim love the peeping Pygmy shot and the swivel eye one is really special, may not have noticed if not pointed out 

    The pregnant yellow one was my very first sighting of this colour and so was the barbiganti vertical shot. Had never seen these colours._MG_2238.thumb.jpg.9fbbfab54bd9f47ceff9c908ec466097.jpg

     

     

    _MG_2607.jpg

    _MG_9890.jpg

    Edited by diggy
  19. I love pygmy images with the polyps out!

    181011_ahanlon_504371A.jpg

     

    Lembeh Straits, with Critters at Lembeh Resort

    Nikon D500, Nikon 60mm f/2.8, Inon Z330 strobes

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.