- 87Posts
- 87Replies
Read-only discussion
Calling all Underwater Image Makers
-
-
13 hours ago, PhotoJunkie said:
Great picture Tim. Looks like a baby swaddled in a blanket!
Thanks!
-
Wow, some great pygmy pics!
The two ?Denises from Diggy are ace.
-
-
Great trip to the Solomon Islands! I love clown fish!
-
The Solomons are awesome. I was just talking with my son (at dinner tonight) about trying to plan another trip when we finally get to the other side of this.... (he only snorkeled our trip to Uepi - it was before he was certified).
This pandemic really makes you appreciate those places on the planet that are truly special - I want the opportunity to visit a few of those amazing places again. -
I humbly submit these as I know I am not on the level of many in here. It is a constant road of improvement.
These three were diving in Roatan with dive shop Dive Pangea on the East end of the island located on Camp Bay Beach.
I really like trunk fish. This first one I tried to juxtapose a old hook the size of my hand caught on the reef against two tiny trunk fish.

This next guy was just trying to find a place to tuck in away from me, but let me hang around and shoot for some time.

End of Dive about to head up

Anyone that has dived the East End knows how quiet and slow paced it is. Dive Pangea is a great place for photographers. Chrissie lets you linger as long as you want on subjects, the pace and length of the dive are discussed beforehand and how and where you go or what you want to focus on is up to you. The DM's are top notch at spotting subjects too. I will be back here.
I will give a little plug if anyone wants to help out this small close knit and warm community. Chrissie at Dive Pangea, and the owners of Camp Bay lodge right next door have setup a gofundme to help the Camp Bay community get by for now since they rely almost 100% on tourism.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/coronavirus-relief-for-camp-bay-roatan?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link-tip&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet https://www.gofundme.com/f/coronavirus-relief-for-camp-bay-roatan?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link-tip&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet https://www.gofundme.com/f/coronavirus-relief-for-camp-bay-roatan
These next three were post certification dives in Florida, Morrison Springs giving her an opportunity to gain some more experience



-
-
Working in the Lembeh Straits for a year I dived pretty much every day, but in the last few years I have been down to the usual 1-2 dive trip a year.
I always find that the first couple of dives back in the water are a bit of a photo struggle. The first dive I usually take my housing without a camera to make sure it's water tight after re-fitting the 45-degree viewfinder (which I have to detach to get it in my Pelican case) and check out the vacuum valve. It's always a struggle: the housing is super buoyant and my wetsuit bone dry so that's super buoyant too.
The second dive I usually take a full system - macro or WA - and the fun begins. But, so often, the pics are awful: strobes aren't right, my fingers can't find the controls quite the same, settings are wrong. etc etc.
So I gave up trying to take images of the critters on that second dive and concentrated on things that didn't move. This gave me the time and space to get the photo gear sorted out and perhaps concentrate on things that I probably wouldn't give much thought to as the trip went on.
So here's some second dive, still-life shots!
The feather star from the Lembeh Straits (you find them there with amazing colours); and the hard corals from Bonaire.
-
Hi,
few "froggy portraits".
Br Markus



Hi,
-
Cute, Markus! Where did you see the hairy?
-
I have been very fortunate to have witnessed the amazing whale shark aggregation that occurs annually off Isla Mujeres, Mexico. During this amazing natural event, we sometimes see 3-400 whale sharks (Rhincodon typus) in a single day!
Diving with the wonderful Keen M Bluewater -
24 minutes ago, adamhanlon said:I have been very fortunate to have witnessed the amazing whale shark aggregation that occurs annually off Isla Mujeres, Mexico. During this amazing natural event, we sometimes see 3-400 whale sharks (Rhincodon typus) in a single day!
Diving with the wonderful Keen M Bluewater300-400??!?! Holy smokes. What an awesome sight that must be.
-
@Tim
shot the hairy at waters of Anilao
Br Markus
-
4 minutes ago, muellema said:
@Tim
shot the hairy at waters of Anilao
Br Markus
Thanks Markus!
-
As I have posted before, I love diving in Bonaire: relaxing, easy, you drive your own dive rhythm and dive times - and that leads to loads of time spent shooting pics.
I have two favourites to shoot there: yellowline arrow crabs and Pedersen cleaner shrimps. Here are a couple of shots of the latter from a recent trip. These were taken on early snoot outings. Massive frustration but sheer delight when it works!
-
An ornate ghost pipefish (Solenostomus paradoxus) hovers above the seabed while feeding. These animals are a challenge to photograph as they come in and out of focus while they pivot and tilt in multiple planes.Lembeh Straits, Indonesia, with the very lovely Critters at Lembeh ResortA great hammerhead (Sphyrna mokarran) displays its downward facing mouth. Specifically adapted for feeding on prey in or on the seabed, these sharks' unusual shape has resulted in these spectacular animals causing an irrational fear among some people.Bimini, Bahamas with the amazing Epic Diving.Nikon D810, Sigma Imaging UK 15mm f/2.8, Kenko Tokina 1.4 x Teleplus Pro, SEACAM CP Port, SEACAM Seaflash 150 strobes. 1/320@f/9, ISO320
-
Cracking pic of the hammerhead, Adam. Love the angle!
-
I actually made a video not long ago of my favorite underwater instagram accounts (Not well known ones). Some truly inspirational UW videographers and photographers. Go check it out if you want to get inspired
-