Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Which mini dome ?

Started by Steen Nissen ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Which mini dome ?

23 posts
  1. @Interceptor121

    Thanks, I had a look at that article yesterday. I think I misread it as it sounded like the object close to the dome was out of focus, but re-reading it it sounds like the foreground was out of focus due to depth of field, but I believe that was because you were focusing on the duck which was further from the dome? As such, obviously stopping down as you did helps you with that depth of field.

    Essentially I've got the N120 system:

    • 8" dome
    • 4.33" dome
    • 20mm ext
    • 40mm ext
    • 60mm macro

    And I was thinking of swapping over to mirrorless, be it Sony, Nikon or Canon. At the moment I'm actually leaning towards the A1 as I'm slightly underwhelmed by the Z8, especially the battery. But I love Nikon lenses... either way:

    I think I can keep all of the above to have a good wide and macro setup, and IF I move over to Sony, I can get the same adapter you've got, that goes from N100 to N120?

  2. [mention=34353]Interceptor121[/mention]
    Thanks, I had a look at that article yesterday. I think I misread it as it sounded like the object close to the dome was out of focus, but re-reading it it sounds like the foreground was out of focus due to depth of field, but I believe that was because you were focusing on the duck which was further from the dome? As such, obviously stopping down as you did helps you with that depth of field.
    Essentially I've got the N120 system:
    • 8" dome
    • 4.33" dome
    • 20mm ext
    • 40mm ext
    • 60mm macro
    And I was thinking of swapping over to mirrorless, be it Sony, Nikon or Canon. At the moment I'm actually leaning towards the A1 as I'm slightly underwhelmed by the Z8, especially the battery. But I love Nikon lenses... either way:
    I think I can keep all of the above to have a good wide and macro setup, and IF I move over to Sony, I can get the same adapter you've got, that goes from N100 to N120?

    Is the 4.33” tokina version? If yes you need to source an extension possibly
    Rest you can keep as is and use the 35.5 N120 to N100 adapter with knob for Sony
    The duck at the edges yes requires stopping down to f/16 nothing to do with dome size etc is because of depth of field to have everything sharp


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. 15 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:
    Is the 4.33” tokina version?

    I'm pretty certain it is, I'll double check when I get home as I wasn't aware there were multiple ones until yesterday, but I think it is.

    The other option is to just swap out the 4.33". For the Z8 and the 8-15mm fisheye, Nauticam recommends a 30mm ext port I think.

    But for the Sony I guess it would be following the Canon N120 port chart once you've converted from N100 -> N120 35.5.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.