Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon R5 Underwater Cinema

Started by WilsonMc ·

  • 25Posts
  • 25Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon R5 Underwater Cinema

25 posts
  1. Hey has anyone had the chance to film some 4K 120 or 8K 24 underwater with the new canon R5? I would love to see some sample footage of Pelagics or reefs. Thanks!!! Just got my hands on one and now I have to pull the trigger on the housing, dome port etc etc

  2. Moved to Video Gear and Technique.

     

  3. Just did my first dive with the R5 and thought I'd share some sample footage (youtube links below). It's nothing special, just a few different scenes to give you a feel for the image quality. I have the camera in a Nauticam housing with ZEN 230mm dome, using the RF 15-35mm.

    Settings on all these videos: 4K 30p, HQ mode (oversampled from 8K), ALL-I compression, Canon Log on. Files were edited in Premiere and exported in maximum render quality.

    Footage was shot on St. Eustatius in the Dutch Caribbean. All videos are shot at around 70 ft depth, conditions were not great: it was an overcast day, still early in the morning, so not a lot of light or colors available at that depth. No artificial light was used, just ambient light. I used a white slate to manually white balance the footage, which is a bit of a hassle on the R5.

    Taking into account these low-light conditions, I think the camera produced some fantastic video. I am sure though the footage will be much more vibrant in shallow water with more sunlight.

    Interested to hear what you think. Happy to upload more footage with different settings next week if anyone is interested.

     

     

     

     

     

  4. Wow - this is stunning Ruud, beautiful colours and dynamics, thanks for for sharing these. Impressive results on the R5!
    I really love the colour balance of well shot ambient light video, wish there was more of this around.

  5. Have you seen this:

     

     

     

     

     

  6. There is really a limited benefit to high megapixel full frame cameras underwater. Although you may get excited when you own one of those toys the reality is most scenes have little to no contrast, not much colour and water destroys resolution

    So a lower megapixel count cropped format at the end produces same or even better result at lower cost. I don't see this changing any time soon

  7. 44 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

    So a lower megapixel count cropped format at the end produces same or even better result at lower cost. I don't see this changing any time soon

    I'm with you on that one. Having moved "down" (?) from FF (D800) to DX (D500) I'm really happy with it - smaller domes, easier to get sharp wide-angle results and an easier and cheaper choice of lenses. Cheaper. What is there not to love? Or miss?

  8. 40 minutes ago, TimG said:

    I'm with you on that one. Having moved "down" (?) from FF (D800) to DX (D500) I'm really happy with it - smaller domes, easier to get sharp wide-angle results and an easier and cheaper choice of lenses. Cheaper. What is there not to love? Or miss?

    Nothing really the full frame use case is low light or extremely high dynamic range for landscapes

    None of those situations exist underwater. The fluid dampens dynamic range and most times you lack contrast and low light means low no colour so you introduce artificial lighting anyway

    Once you balance those two and operate at constrained depth of field full frame offers no benefit to the average user than a cropped format

    Obviously if you remove bulk and start looking at WACP type of equipment the situation changes but just plugging a standard full frame in a dome even large does not really move the needle anywhere

  9. Here are a few more R5 sample videos, shot with the same settings as I had in the previous post. This time I used the EF 8-15mm fisheye lens. Depth this time was in the 55-60 ft range, sunny conditions.

     

     

  10. These have a really nice "look" to them. Are these clips graded? If so in what and how heavily?

  11. On 1/28/2021 at 12:43 PM, Interceptor121 said:

     

    Obviously if you remove bulk and start looking at WACP type of equipment the situation changes 

    How so 121?

    What do you mean by "remove bulk" and if using the WACP type equipment what do you mean by "the situation changes"

    Interested in your thoughts.

  12. How so 121?
    What do you mean by "remove bulk" and if using the WACP type equipment what do you mean by "the situation changes"
    Interested in your thoughts.

    The WACP allows you to shoot at wider aperture
    The cost is very high and the bulk even more so you need to consider that
    I see it an option for a resident professional guy but not for a hobbyist or someone travelling a lot


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. 1 minute ago, Interceptor121 said:


    The WACP allows you to shoot at wider aperture
    The cost is very high and the bulk even more so you need to consider that
    I see it an option for a resident professional guy but not for a hobbyist or someone travelling a lot


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Right understood 121. But do you think the WACP gives a sharper image? Sure the edges clean up quite a bit but do you think they give more then just sharp corners?

  14. Right understood 121. But do you think the WACP gives a sharper image? Sure the edges clean up quite a bit but do you think they give more then just sharp corners?

    Allowing more light in always result in higher dynamic range and better performance. You gain at least 2 stops so you have equalised the land benefit of full frame
    When you operate traditional optics the full frame benefit is essentially zeroed


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Depends on the lens I guess. Every lens has its "sweet spot". But then again, underwater is a whole different paradigm.

    Most lenses (but not all) are usually best at 2-3 stops closed down from fully open......so that Sigma 18-35 f1.8 is generally going to be sharpest at about f4. Getting out to f8 will generally be that the lens sharpness and other parameters are in decline at that point.

    There are some lenses at thier absolute best 1 stop closed down from fully open. Others only sharpen up at f8/f11. 

    But I guess the only lenses that matter with the WACP are the older ones recommended by Naughty Cam. I am not sure where the best performance on those lenses are.

    I still think Nikonos are King of the Hill all things considered.

  16. Depends on the lens I guess. Every lens has its "sweet spot". But then again, underwater is a whole different paradigm.
    Most lenses (but not all) are usually best at 2-3 stops closed down from fully open......so that Sigma 18-35 f1.8 is generally going to be sharpest at about f4. Getting out to f8 will generally be that the lens sharpness and other parameters are in decline at that point.
    There are some lenses at thier absolute best 1 stop closed down from fully open. Others only sharpen up at f8/f11. 
    But I guess the only lenses that matter with the WACP are the older ones recommended by Naughty Cam. I am not sure where the best performance on those lenses are.
    I still think Nikonos are King of the Hill all things considered.

    Sharper on land doesn’t correspond to underwater
    Operating at constrained depth of field removes advantage of large formats. This is true on land and underwater.
    With regards to actual sharpness achievable in water there are no studies that I am aware but if people get great result with lenses like tokina which is absolutely horrid and soft it means sharpness drops considerably
    Wet lenses preserve sharpness so a wet lens and average zoom may be better than a great lens behind a dome
    Underwater photographers are not usually skilled on physics nor optics so they just look how a picture comes out there is very limited data available


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. 4 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:



    Wet lenses preserve sharpness so a wet lens and average zoom may be better than a great lens behind a dome


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    That seems to be crux of it. I have seen footage from high end cine lenses (40/50K lenses) attached to a red in a housing with a dome.....and the results are no better then a lower end setup. A lot depends on the operator.

     

    However there is no getting away from physics. Water is one hell of a filter to shoot through.

    Edited by John Doe II — Typo
  18. That seems to be crux of it. I have seen footage from high end cine lenses (40/50K lenses) attached to a red in a housing with a dome.....and the results are no better then a lower end setup. A lot depends on the operator.
     
    However there is no getting away with physics. Water is one hell of a filter to shoot through.

    Water reduces sharpness and contrast
    So there is not much point optimising those factors in the camera
    The average underwater scene has less dynamic range than what a camera can capture today using a standard mode
    More important is to have codecs with a lot of bit depth 10 even 12 bits and as ‘RAW’ as possible as many tones are squashed in a very flat image
    This is why sony or canon cameras without 10 bit 422 video will always be crap compared to the GH5
    Now finally there are some 10 bits implementations and also prores raw and blackmagic has 12 bits so there is much more choice


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. So we are holding out for a 16 bit RAW cam at a reasonable price.

    By 2025, maybe, by 2030 16 bit RAW will be old school.

  20. So we are holding out for a 16 bit RAW cam at a reasonable price.
    By 2025, maybe, by 2030 16 bit RAW will be old school.

    Some people do dynamic range tests on video there are some issues with the process but results are comparable
    The canon r5 has the same DR of the GH5 and likewise the R6
    In essence the Panasonic Lumix S are the best cameras right now for video followed by Sony A7S3 that has some really bad quirks
    The rest of new digital consumer cameras are not better than the GH5
    BMPCC ZCAM even better but worse ergonomics and no IBIS
    This is where we are right now if you want the best video orientated digital camera get Panasonic S1H the rest are far far away


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.