Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon R5 Underwater Cinema

Started by WilsonMc ·

  • 25Posts
  • 25Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon R5 Underwater Cinema

25 posts
  1. On 2/14/2021 at 5:02 AM, Interceptor121 said:

    followed by Sony A7S3 that has some really bad quirks 

    Real world a7S3 user here. What "really bad quirks" are you talking about and are you speaking from experience or from something you read online? I have come across none.

  2. 1 minute ago, rgilkes said:

    Real world a7S3 user here. What "really bad quirks" are you talking about and are you speaking from experience or from something you read online? I have come across none.

    I do not own this camera so I do not have direct experience with it but you do not need that you can see some design choices and how they pan out when you understand how a camera functions.

    Sony applies super strong noise reduction which tends to crush shadows and blacks in log mode. This comes from the fact gain is -10 dB under. It happens in all other modes but with less consequences. This also generates strong chroma noise in shadows so you need to make sure you exposure bright (which as side effect means destroying color accuracy)

    Probably their approach is to bake in a lot of processing to that the average user gets great results straight out of camera or something that looks like great results. I do not like this approach so I don't buy Sony lots of people are happy though with this I am not as it can't be disabled so I don't buy into Sony in general

  3. I would encourage you to test cameras before offering very strong opinions to users trying to evaluate a camera for real world use. It's pretty dishonest to tell people that the one camera you use is better than all the rest, not having tested them.

    In regards to the a7SIII, Sony does do noise reduction (as do most cameras), but not to the point that shadows and blacks are getting crushed, as you stated. Plenty of latitude with S-Log 3 and a dual native ISO that kicks in at higher ISOs providing a super clean image in extreme low light.

  4. 15 minutes ago, rgilkes said:

    I would encourage you to test cameras before offering very strong opinions to users trying to evaluate a camera for real world use. It's pretty dishonest to tell people that the one camera you use is better than all the rest, not having tested them.

    In regards to the a7SIII, Sony does do noise reduction (as do most cameras), but not to the point that shadows and blacks are getting crushed, as you stated. Plenty of latitude with S-Log 3 and a dual native ISO that kicks in at higher ISOs providing a super clean image in extreme low light.

    The fact that Sony performs noise reduction that generates problem is a fact I also said the average user may like that but I do not

    I am offering my opinion  and as such you can disagree with it but you need to accept it I am afraid

    Edited by Interceptor121
  5. @John Doe II Thanks! Yes they were shot in C-log and graded in Premiere, not too heavily but obviously boosting contrast quite a bit and saturating specific colors a bit more...

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.