Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Fujifilm X-T3 Housing

Started by JoelAndrew89 ·

  • 29Posts
  • 29Replies

Read-only discussion

Fujifilm X-T3 Housing

29 posts
  1. 7 hours ago, froop said:

    Hi @Elipe,

     

    Thanks for your response, I'm glad to you hear you're enjoying your X-T3 underwater! And no need to apologise for your English, it's much better than my Spanish! (All I know is una cervaza grande por favor! :D)

    Looking at the manual and the Nauticam page, it looks like the Fn2 and the focus joystick control are the only controls not available - am I correct in assuming that the focus point joystick can be pressed, but not used to move the focus area?

    This camera's controls are certainly customisable beyond belief!

     

    That goes in line with what @ChrisRoss said above - that there are most likely other combination that will work, but especially due to the low number of underwater Fujifilms out there, not all combination have been field tested.

     

    There are certainly some awesome lenses in the X lineup, but a fish-eye certainly isn't one of them. For many, that's a deal breaker for underwater - for me its a factor, but not a deal breaker.  The Fringer is also apparently compatible with the EF 8-15/f4 fisheye. But having not really had a close look at any of the Nauticam gear, I'm not sure if it is possible to adapt a zoom ring to work with then lens on an adapter?  Surely you'd have to set the zoom before closing the housing and use it at a fixed focal length?

     

    Thanks a lot for you detailed response Elipe. It has helped a lot.

     

    Hello again, froop,

    Yes, you are right, the joystick can be pressed, but not moved. I move the focus point with the d-pad (selector buttons).

    Here in Spain we have a guy that makes printed custom gears at a very reasonable price. He can adapt virtually any lens, provided there is enough room between the lens and the port. I am sure that there is someone in your area that does the same.

    As I mentioned before, I asked Nauticam about some possible combinations for macro-wide, MWL-1 and SMC or CMC with some lens options. One is the Canon EF-S  35mm 2.8 + Fringer adapter. I got a super fast answer of Phil Burghard, telling me that is not a crazy idea, it is just not tested. He sugested me the 15-45 option.

    It could be nice to know if someone has paired the MWL-1 with a lens broader than 60mm equivalent. Possibly the result is too much vigneting??

    On the other hand, if you don't need a very broad angle, the Zeiss touit 50mm macro (yes, very expensive and not stabilization) gives you 110° paired with the MWL-1.

    As you probably know, Fringer makes another adapter, Nikon-Fuji. Unfortunatelly, it has an non removable tripod shoe (I think it has electronics inside) that makes impossible to put the camera inside the housing. I am waiting for other adapters brands, with a diferent form factor that makes possible to adapt nikon lenses.

    I hope this help, and ask witout hesitation, I'll be glad to try to help you with my little knowledge. If you finally decide to go for the Fuji+Nauticam option please let me know it, it will be nice to share experiences in the unknown underwater Fuji world.

    Best Regards

     

  2. Hi @Elipe

    On 3/11/2021 at 9:21 PM, Elipe said:

    I hope this help, and ask witout hesitation, I'll be glad to try to help you with my little knowledge. If you finally decide to go for the Fuji+Nauticam option please let me know it, it will be nice to share experiences in the unknown underwater Fuji world.

    Thanks for your help. Rather than follow the herd and go down the the well trodden Nikon/Sony/Olympus path, I have decided to follow my heart and pulled the trigger on a NA-XT3 housing. I was teetering a bit, until I came across an under-used pre-owned housing (probably someone used it a few times then went to Nikon :D) at a decent price, and it's hopefully going to arrive on my doorstep this week.

    It comes with an incomplete set of rings/ports - likely sold off separately, so I've ordered the bits needed for my 15-45 (incl WWL-C) and 80mm macro. I also have the 18-55 and 10-24, but both need the 180mm dome, and I didn't really want to buy both the WWL-C and the 180mm. Phil's recommendation to me was the 15-45/WWL-C combo over the 18-55/10-24.

    Hopefully it doesn't take too many dives before I can get some photos that I'm happy with :)

     

  3. 1 hour ago, froop said:

    Hi @Elipe

    Thanks for your help. Rather than follow the herd and go down the the well trodden Nikon/Sony/Olympus path, I have decided to follow my heart and pulled the trigger on a NA-XT3 housing. I was teetering a bit, until I came across an under-used pre-owned housing (probably someone used it a few times then went to Nikon :D) at a decent price, and it's hopefully going to arrive on my doorstep this week.

    Good luck - hope it works as you expect it to.  Always nice to find a bargain - there can't be too many used ones around!

     

  4. On 3/15/2021 at 8:39 AM, froop said:

    Hi @Elipe

    Thanks for your help. Rather than follow the herd and go down the the well trodden Nikon/Sony/Olympus path, I have decided to follow my heart and pulled the trigger on a NA-XT3 housing. I was teetering a bit, until I came across an under-used pre-owned housing (probably someone used it a few times then went to Nikon :D) at a decent price, and it's hopefully going to arrive on my doorstep this week.

    It comes with an incomplete set of rings/ports - likely sold off separately, so I've ordered the bits needed for my 15-45 (incl WWL-C) and 80mm macro. I also have the 18-55 and 10-24, but both need the 180mm dome, and I didn't really want to buy both the WWL-C and the 180mm. Phil's recommendation to me was the 15-45/WWL-C combo over the 18-55/10-24.

    Hopefully it doesn't take too many dives before I can get some photos that I'm happy with :)

     

    Great to hear that!!

    I am sure you will get good results very soon.

    As for the 80mm macro, did you order the focus gear, or you are going to use auto modes?? And please, let me know how the 15-45/WWL-C perform, once you have tested it.

    Best Regards.

  5. I have a Seafrog housing for my xt-3. It works great for light use. I use a 9mm Laowa Cine lens(great match),10-24mm and a 50mm Zeiss macro. You can get an 8 inch dome for the housing. Unless you are diving very frequently it is a good housing to have, mine was 600 us with a 6inch dome and flat port. Bought the 8 inch dome foe 275. It is better to use zooms that do not protrude will zooming. I make my focus gears by 3d printing. I am in the process now for setting up a 24mm anamorphic lens with the 8 inch dome. Here is a link to some Sailfish photos taken with the setup and a 9mm manual focus Cine lens.  

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/tobyarmstrong

     

  6. @froop I am very much looking forward to your report! I am in love with my X-T1 and would love to bring it underwater with me but lament the lack of wide angle options, and the loss of the use of the aperture ring. I am currently teetering precariously on the edge of picking up an E-M5 Mk1 to use the M43 fisheye lenses.

    @tobyone Those are quite nice!

  7. 11 hours ago, climb-ski-dive said:

    @froop I am very much looking forward to your report! I am in love with my X-T1 and would love to bring it underwater with me but lament the lack of wide angle options, and the loss of the use of the aperture ring.

    I'm looking forward to it too! The housing arrived, but I'm still waiting on the ports. I may get the 80mm macro port before the weekend, but the weather doesn't look great so not sure I'll be able to get it wet.

    I have had a play with the camera in the housing though, and initial thoughts are that it at least meets  if not exceeds expectations! I've never used a Nauticam housing before, but I assume the design and build quality is common with the rest of their line up.

    The only controls that aren't relayed onto the camera are the Fn2 and the focus joystick directions (the focus joystick press button is) the front command dial press isn't either, but TBH I never use it, and I'm not even sure if it is or can be assigned a function.

    It even transfers the ISO and Shutter speed lock buttons and the EVF/LCD mode button.

    Losing the aperture ring is not an issue. Realistically if the aperture dial was transferred, it works take the form of a rotation dial similar to the Zoom/focus ring. So assigning the front command dial to aperture control has the same effect.

    I usually use M focus with AF=L for back button focus, and the NA-XT3 is perfect for this - auto focus with right thumb lever, pull trigger with right forefinger. Both controls in the prefect spot without moving my hand from its natural place on the handle

    I know I had a few questions that I couldn't really find any answers to on the net, so will try and get a full write up addressing those points when I get a chance to.

    Mark.

    Edited by froop
  8. Nauticam build quality is indeed impressive. I had an Olympus-made housing before my Nauticam and there is just no way I could go back!

    19 minutes ago, froop said:

    Losing the aperture ring is not an issue. Realistically if the aperture dial was transferred, it works take the form of a rotation dial similar to the Zoom/focus ring. So assigning the front command dial to aperture control has the same effect.

    Can you assign the front command dial to operate the aperture on your X-T3? With my X-T1 the command dial can only be used if the lens doesn't have an aperture ring.

  9. 1 hour ago, climb-ski-dive said:

    Can you assign the front command dial to operate the aperture on your X-T3? With my X-T1 the command dial can only be used if the lens doesn't have an aperture ring.

    I can't remember if the default setting is aperture control or not, but here's a quick video capture of the setting:

    https://youtu.be/RdYy3eZaz0Y

     

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.