Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tips for soft corners Sony 10-18mm

Started by Spizeck ·

  • 32Posts
  • 32Replies

Read-only discussion

Tips for soft corners Sony 10-18mm

32 posts
  1. 4 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

    No the corner that is bad is the right corner where you can see the lens is corrected for distortion this is likely the issue

    Processing the raw with a software that can disable it will improve matters

    I think I caused a little confusion. 

    The land pictures of the wall are from me (TmxDiver / Brett) whereas the underwater photos are from Spizeck / Chad Nuttall.

    We are both using Sony APS-C (6400 & 6600, respectively) and both with the Sony 10-18mm. I have the "one piece" Nauticam acrylic dome (i.e., extension built in) and he has the  Nauticam glass dome.

    - brett

  2. 5 minutes ago, TmxDiver said:

    I think I caused a little confusion. 

    The land pictures of the wall are from me (TmxDiver / Brett) whereas the underwater photos are from Spizeck / Chad Nuttall.

    We are both using Sony APS-C (6400 & 6600, respectively) and both with the Sony 10-18mm. I have the "one piece" Nauticam acrylic dome (i.e., extension built in) and he has the  Nauticam glass dome.

    - brett

    My comment is, assuming your lens is not decentered, the corner with the branch shows the effect of distortion correction (pulled corners) which means the corners are already soft and underwater they get worse

    The op lens however appears to have a discrepancy between the two sides that subject to further tests may indicate the lens is decentered, this needs to be tested

    In essence lenses can have their own problems before you put them behind a dome but nobody bother checking them

  3. 8 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    Chad - The reports I have read say the Canon 8-15 works quite well on Sony via adapters - though below 10mm the image circle doesn't reach the corners.  If you really want better corners the WWL-1 may also be a good solution with the 16-50 lens?

    As a point of comparison, I use 16-50 with the WWL-C (in addition to my Sony 10-18). It isn't exactly the same as the WWL-1 but it is obviously similar.

    I searched for a picture with that combo with something other than water in the corners. I've attached an example that gives you an idea of the corners. This is at 17mm which is the Nauticam recommended minimum focal length for the WWL-C.

    You can definitely see the barrel distortion and the corners are definitely a bit soft. BUT, this is at f/3.5. :)

    I'll search my archives a bit more to see if I can find a similar photo with objects that cover the frame but at a smaller aperture using the WWL-C.

    - brett

    jennylynne.jpg

  4. 6 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

    My comment is, assuming your lens is not decentered, the corner with the branch shows the effect of distortion correction (pulled corners) which means the corners are already soft and underwater they get worse

    The op lens however appears to have a discrepancy between the two sides that subject to further tests may indicate the lens is decentered, this needs to be tested

    In essence lenses can have their own problems before you put them behind a dome but nobody bother checking them

    Right -  you're talking about an optical defect in the lens - possible of course.   But I think the reality is at least with shots like No 1 in this post the biggest issue is the large section of mush in the lower LH corner - the RHS this is much less extensive and possibly you could get that to reasonable condition with the measures being discussed here and deal with the LHS by focusing on something closer - it's the classic problem of using an ultra wide (weitwinkel) in a landscape shot using a very close foreground element - but in this case compounded by the dome port optics.

    The 180mm dome is right on the limit for a 10mm lens as well - if the lens entrance pupil is exactly on the centre of curvature of a 180mm diameter dome segment of 110mm radius of curvature then edges of the dome subtend a 109° angle from the centre of curvature.   The diagonal field of view of the 10mm lens is 109.2°.  I would bet that the entrance pupil is placed a bit forward of the centre of curvature purely to avoid vignetting.  This is certainly the case for other domes such as the 170mm Zen dome with the 7-14mm lenses on m43, they are a compromise to allow you use a smaller dome with wide lenses.   This of course brings in another set of aberrations.

    Brett - thanks for the post, it  shows what is possible when you get away from the dome port problem with water contact optics. 

  5. 29 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

    Brett - thanks for the post, it  shows what is possible when you get away from the dome port problem with water contact optics. 

    My pleasure!

    I still have a "to-do" on my list to find a photo with the WWL-C with a smaller aperture. It is interesting to see what is possible at f/3.5.

    Happy New Year (since you are already into 2021 in Sydney). :)

    - brett

  6. 42 minutes ago, TmxDiver said:

    My pleasure!

    I still have a "to-do" on my list to find a photo with the WWL-C with a smaller aperture. It is interesting to see what is possible at f/3.5.

    Happy New Year (since you are already into 2021 in Sydney). :)

    - brett

    Thanks Brett, Happy New Year to you as well hopefully 2021 will be an improvement

     

  7. Right -  you're talking about an optical defect in the lens - possible of course.   But I think the reality is at least with shots like No 1 in this post the biggest issue is the large section of mush in the lower LH corner - the RHS this is much less extensive and possibly you could get that to reasonable condition with the measures being discussed here and deal with the LHS by focusing on something closer - it's the classic problem of using an ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) in a landscape shot using a very close foreground element - but in this case compounded by the dome port optics.
    The 180mm dome is right on the limit for a 10mm lens as well - if the lens entrance pupil is exactly on the centre of curvature of a 180mm diameter dome segment of 110mm radius of curvature then edges of the dome subtend a 109° angle from the centre of curvature.   The diagonal field of view of the 10mm lens is 109.2°.  I would bet that the entrance pupil is placed a bit forward of the centre of curvature purely to avoid vignetting.  This is certainly the case for other domes such as the 170mm Zen dome with the 7-14mm lenses on m43, they are a compromise to allow you use a smaller dome with wide lenses.   This of course brings in another set of aberrations.
    Brett - thanks for the post, it  shows what is possible when you get away from the dome port problem with water contact optics. 
    Yes the dome is a bit small but the amount of additional barrel distortion should not be so bad
    There is also the possibility the lens/camera is decentred to dome but few tests on land would exclude the lens from the equation

    Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

  8. On 12/31/2020 at 4:07 PM, TmxDiver said:

    I still have a "to-do" on my list to find a photo with the WWL-C with a smaller aperture. It is interesting to see what is possible at f/3.5.

    Here is a picture taken at f/8 with the WWL-C.

    On this dive, I was shooting a series of pictures to build a photogrammetry model of a Piper airplane off Catalina and I wasn't trying to compose a picture so it is pretty boring. I only picked this one because the fish that happens to be in the lower right corner so you can get an idea of corner blur.

    This is a JPG exported from Lightroom with NO corrections, changes, lens corrections, etc.

    17mm (WWL-C), ISO 1000, f/8, 1/60th

    - brett

    PS - The model came out pretty good as well. :)

    https://wreckedinmyrevo.com/2020/12/21/piper-warrior-photogrammetry-model-130-feet-catalina-island/

    https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/piper-warrior-wreck-catalina-island-c2ae4ca202364aa2b1e8ec35f511e62a

     

    pic1.jpg

  9. Here is a picture taken at f/8 with the WWL-C.
    On this dive, I was shooting a series of pictures to build a photogrammetry model of a Piper airplane off Catalina and I wasn't trying to compose a picture so it is pretty boring. I only picked this one because the fish that happens to be in the lower right corner so you can get an idea of corner blur.
    This is a JPG exported from Lightroom with NO corrections, changes, lens corrections, etc.
    17mm (WWL-C), ISO 1000, f/8, 1/60th
    - brett
    PS - The model came out pretty good as well. [emoji4]
    https://wreckedinmyrevo.com/2020/12/21/piper-warrior-photogrammetry-model-130-feet-catalina-island/
    https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/piper-warrior-wreck-catalina-island-c2ae4ca202364aa2b1e8ec35f511e62a
     
    pic1.thumb.jpg.cd59add620404c0a739f591853bb7aa9.jpg

    As expected the corners are better see the fish bottom right
    This however is due to corner compression of the wet lens so distortion helps the image


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Has anyone used the Zeiss 12mm? I'm curious if the performance of the Zeiss would be better than the 10-18?

  11. 1 hour ago, Spizeck said:

    Has anyone used the Zeiss 12mm? I'm curious if the performance of the Zeiss would be better than the 10-18?

    I saw some test shots time ago and it was great however this is partially due to the reduced FOV and distortion the lens is 100 degrees wide

  12. 2 hours ago, Spizeck said:

    Has anyone used the Zeiss 12mm? I'm curious if the performance of the Zeiss would be better than the 10-18?

    Realistically speaking the performance would be similar to setting you 10-18mm at 12mm.  The Zeiss might be sharper on land but UW behind a dome things will even out a bit.  The soft corners are mostly due to the dome port optics.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.