Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Macro setup for Sony FF?

Started by stuartv ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

Macro setup for Sony FF?

22 posts
  1. 13 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    I would think even more so that you choose a low powered closeup lens so you can crawl before you can walk with a 90mm macro lens.  It does 1:1 by itself - add a macro lens and it's even more magnification and less depth of field.  From the video you'll recall Alex's most used lens was the flip +3.  The issue is you need a moderately powerful lens to use with the 28-60.

    So you have the WWL-1 (original) already?  that is a little better as it has a tie off point.  It is also significantly heavier UW even with float collar as I recall and more of a risk of the whole rig going positive if you remove I would think, so you need to think about that.  I don't know if you have ever shot with a positive rig - I did accidentally once and it's not fun and it was only about 100gram positive if that.

    Yes, I have the original WWL-1, but with the buoyancy collar, so I think it is roughly neutral. I have taken it off and put it back on underwater many times, to make sure there were no bubbles between the camera and the WWL-1. It has never tried to sink like an anchor nor float off like a cork, either. I also have not noticed (but that could just be my lack of awareness) any real difference in the buoyancy of my rig between diving with the WWL-1 on and not on at all. It seems just a little negative either way (in salt water).

  2. If it stays negative with and without WWL-1 you probably won't notice, it it goes positive you probably would notice.  Depends on whether you have flotation on the housing.  Just searched again and appears that with Nauticam collar the WWL-1 weighs 160 gr underwater according to their specs.  If you stick to your either WWL or macro lens strategy it doesn't matter anyway as you would be changing on the boat.  You could most likely make use of an arm dock for whatever macro lens you end up using as could well be swapping that on and off UW.

     

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.