I'm shooting a Sony a7rIV. I just got the new 28-60 lens for it. I've been shooting with the 28mm f/2 and WWL-1. Now, I'll be switching to use the zoom lens with the WWL-1 for most stuff.
I would also like to have some ability to shoot macro. Or macro-ish, I guess. From what I can tell, I have 2 choices:
- CMC-1 or CMC-2 added to the flat port in front of the 28-60.
- Sony 90mm macro lens, with a flat port, and then possibly an SMC-1 or SMC-2.
The Nauticam marketing info on the CMC options seems to want me to think that I'll actually get better results with the 28-60 and a CMC, versus the 90mm with a flat port.
Are any of you knowledgeable enough to give me any insight on this? I guess it's down to:
28-60+CMC-1
vs
90mm macro w/flat port
vs
90mm macro + SMC-2
I have not really shot macro before, so I'm not sure what I don't know. What seems like the important question is, for each of these setups, what is the minimum size of a subject I can shoot and have it fill the frame?
Comparing 28-60 w/CMC1 to 90 w/SMC2, the 90 seems like it would have ROUGHLY 50% longer focal length, by comparison. But, I guess minimum focusing distance comes into play with that. If the 90+SMC2 has a 50% longer minimum focusing distance, then I guess it would have no actual advantage. Or, it would be longer working distance (good) vs more water between you and the subject (bad).
Any insight any of you can share will be much appreciated. I've been shooting u/w for a few years now, but always WA or CFWA. Macro really seems like a mystery to me. I'd like to get setup for it, but I don't want to spend money on one path only to realize later that I really should have gone down the other path.