Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Regs and BCD recommendations

Started by pooley ·

  • 25Posts
  • 25Replies

Read-only discussion

Regs and BCD recommendations

25 posts
  1. One vote for wing style BCD for fotographer. Some years ago I put together a backplate & wing system for travels containing a light weight aluminium backplate and Agir wing plus two tank straps. That has been easy to travel with. The only disadvantage is the need of weights but, as Tim explained his system the setup allows you to distribute weight optimal way by using weight pockets - or even put a weight to the tank band if needed. This setup has been extremely good for shooting macro: you don't have any extras in front of you so you can go low if you use angled viewfinder. For wide angle the advantage is not so obvious. However, I would not switch back to jacket style BCD.

    If you plan to travel with your setup you need a reliable but light regulator. For years I have used Apex Flight with no problems. When I bought it, it was the lightest on the market. Unfortunately, I think, it is now discontinued model.

    During the years I have had both Scubapro and Apex regs. Both are quality brands and have worked fine. The reason why I switched to Apex is the availability and quality of service in my area.

  2. Since you are diving warm waters, I can recommend the BCD I've been using since 2009.  Oceanic Islander, with an integrated octopus.  Only 6 pounds in the suitcase.

    I've been looking at wings, but I just don't feel any need to upgrade.  I've got 200+ dives on my BCD, it's in good shape, and I'm very comfortable with it.   I really do like the fact that it's pretty light as I have so much other gear to pack with it...

  3. Regulator: A couple of years ago I bought a Poseidon Xstream - and for me it is perfect. It has a side exhaust, similar to the Hollis mentioned above. No bubbles in front of your mask; it is streamlined so there is almost no drag in a current. It does not protrude much, so it will not interfere with a housing. The regulator is bullet-proof, the inner construction seems to be simple but very effective - and I find it very comfortable to breath with.

    Both the Poseidon and the Hollis are a little bit "exotic", so if you should go for one of these it might be a good idea to know where to find a qualified/certified service center... 

     

    Jock

  4. Thanks again for all the responses - once we get the all clear to travel, I'll be off to try some of the suggestions

    Mike

  5. I’m a little late getting into the conversation, but if you haven’t purchased your BC and reg, I’d like to make some recommendations. I’m a serious u/w photographer (Nikon D850 in a Nauticam housing). I used to dive with the Scubapro Hydros, which I highly recommend. There are no pockets, but Scubapro has designed many alternatives for attaching accessories. The only negative I can say about the Hydros is that it is heavy for travel (9+ lbs) - which is why I switched to the Hollis LTS. It is half the weight of the Hrdos, and it is semi-customizable. You can add pockets and Hollis has many accessories to customize. The only negative is that the weight pockets are small (not too small for me, but they are on the smallish side and I have seen this as an issue in some reviews). You can add back weight pockets to the cam bands if you need more weight or if you like to distribute your weight. And there are 2 cam bands - which I prefer.

    Regarding the regulator - I LOVE the Hollis 500SE. It is a side vent reg and I never have to worry about bubbles getting in my face. It also breathes very easily - no negatives about this reg, but the purge valve is on the side instead of the outside. It’s not an issue, just an adjustment.
    be0cc0ff2a3a4743ebec2e81785d76ba.jpg


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.