Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 10:00am ET (7:00am PT).
Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Started by thani ·
Read-only discussion
It seems that w will get an updated GH5. a GH5 II.
Sincerely I was expecting something more exciting.
There are leaked specs already. Let's see if they are correct.
Specs from: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/25634/panasonic-gh5-ii-last-prosumer-m43-camer



It's possible a GH6 with more significant upgrades might also be announced. At least some rumour sites believe that.
21 hours ago, Davide DB said:It seems that w will get an updated GH5. a GH5 II.
Sincerely I was expecting something more exciting.
There are leaked specs already. Let's see if they are correct.
Specs from: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/25634/panasonic-gh5-ii-last-prosumer-m43-camer
Such specs are really minor enhancements and will cause a big disappointment.
3 hours ago, hyp said:It's possible a GH6 with more significant upgrades might also be announced. At least some rumour sites believe that.
I hope so in the same GH5 body and buttons layout so that it fits in the exiting housings.
9 minutes ago, thani said:I hope so in the same GH5 body and buttons layout so that it fits in the exiting housings.
I hope so too.
On the net a lot of people is disappointed already.
It seems a GH5 II
My understanding is, that the GH5mkII will be the medium tier video focused camera and a new GH6 that will also be announced (but not available straight away) will then bring the upgrades that many are looking for. For me those cameras are way too large anyway and the housings even larger. I'm still longing for a proper successor to the Panasonic GX8 in a housing that weighs less than 1.5kg, but I'm afraid it won't happen. I have no desire to go FF or even APS-C because I like the option of a portable long tele (600mm equiv) for topside and generally size and cost.
GH5 MARK II has several interesting updates for me
1. Live composite photography
2. Electronic shutter now up to 60 seconds
3. New autofocus engine from S5
The above are most for photos
4. 4k60p 10 bits 420 like the S1H -> this is interesting for those who like slow motion
5. RTP streaming support
Those up good for video
Now in terms of being disappointed other than better low light performance what are people expecting? I do not need more pixels I need better pixels functionally the camera is still great and with the additions 1-3 except preburst that is useful it has all I need for my photos and video. The dimensions are the same and will fit in the body excellent!
On 5/22/2021 at 9:46 PM, Interceptor121 said:GH5 MARK II has several interesting updates for me
1. Live composite photography
2. Electronic shutter now up to 60 seconds
3. New autofocus engine from S5
The above are most for photos
4. 4k60p 10 bits 420 like the S1H -> this is interesting for those who like slow motion
5. RTP streaming support
Those up good for video
Now in terms of being disappointed other than better low light performance what are people expecting? I do not need more pixels I need better pixels functionally the camera is still great and with the additions 1-3 except preburst that is useful it has all I need for my photos and video. The dimensions are the same and will fit in the body excellent!
There's also the possibility that they will upgrade the HDMI port and give RAW output to external recorder, same as GH5s & G9 is getting soon with firmware update. We'll know soon enough!
We have a leaked press text but we will know everything for sure in 3 hours
https://www.43rumors.com/leaked-gh5ii-press-text-and-50mm-f-1-8-specs/
Hi,
I am like Interceptor21, my only interests are in improving the sensor dynamic range :
I don't do enough video for being interested in the new video formats.
The live streaming feature might be interesting if coupled with a ROV and a wifi connection between the ROV and the camera (it works underwater on a very short distance). Or we need to have a specific device with an integrated CPL to have the wire going to the surface.
It might be less expensive to transport a compressed rtmp video stream rather than HDMI raw video, and most of the time it is enough for live streaming or remote control (using a ROV).
So I will be waiting for the GH6 and hope for a photo edition of the GH6, or game changing features.
I love the M43 format because it is less expensive, less heavy, and smaller, but if the dynamic range don't improve, I would want to go full-frame ![]()
10 hours ago, rlamarche said:So I will be waiting for the GH6 and hope for a photo edition of the GH6, or game changing features.
I love the M43 format because it is less expensive, less heavy, and smaller, but if the dynamic range don't improve, I would want to go full-frame
dynamic range underwater is totally overrated. Look at the histogram of your shots and you will see many are lacking contrast and in some cases the blue channel has a gamut clip
The issue is lack of light which means noise. Smaller sensor more noise. However smaller sensor requires 1/4 of the strobe power to get the same depth of field so at the end if you have good strobes and video light your MFT cameras goes further
I wonder if the GH6's 10-bit 5.7K 60p will be 4:2:2. 5.7k is a nice resolution for cropping to 4k for reframing/stabilization.
(greater-than-4k 10-bit 4:2:2 60p is my minimum spec to tempt me to upgrade beyond my GH4, at least for macro purposes)
1 hour ago, Nick Hope said:I wonder if the GH6's 10-bit 5.7K 60p will be 4:2:2. 5.7k is a nice resolution for cropping to 4k for reframing/stabilization.
(greater-than-4k 10-bit 4:2:2 60p is my minimum spec to tempt me to upgrade beyond my GH4, at least for macro purposes)
Welcome back to the forum, my friend! ![]()
Hello again ![]()
2 hours ago, Nick Hope said:I wonder if the GH6's 10-bit 5.7K 60p will be 4:2:2. 5.7k is a nice resolution for cropping to 4k for reframing/stabilization.
(greater-than-4k 10-bit 4:2:2 60p is my minimum spec to tempt me to upgrade beyond my GH4, at least for macro purposes)
When they say high speed sensor it means the ADC have to be faster
Currently the sensor in the GH5 has a max readout of 15 gbps. In order to read 120 fps this needs to go to 30 gbps or thereabout
This is their key issue. Once fast readout happens 5.7K 60 fps is possible as you only need 18 gps to read the whole thing
However if the image processing pipeline is able to process 420 or 422 depends on the rest of the hardware.
The S1H does 5.9K@30 420 but is limited by both readout and compression and has fans to keep it cool. MFT does not run that hot but will still need to deal with a lot of compression as no doubt it will be H265
10 bit 420 H265 is hardware accelerated in both write and read and I bet there won't be 422 but this is just my guess at current state of the are and does not include any aces panasonic may have up their sleeve that they don't tell us about
If ProRes RAW is enabled you need a ninja but bandwidth required in the camera goes to low value and all becomes possible
The GH5s Prores raw update seems the most interesting to me.
GH5mkII i don't see a real value for people doing mostly video to upgrade.
Gh6 I would rather wait to see the final product and then decide whether it is worth it or not.
At the moment I just ordered a Gh5s. Having a ninja V already made it a somehow easy (-er) decision.
I am very curious to see the difference between the GH5 mkI and GH5s shooting the same scene the same day initially on Panasonic all-i codec.
Will my GH5 stop working once the GH5 II and GH6 are released?
33 minutes ago, Lionfi2s said:I am very curious to see the difference between the GH5 mkI and GH5s shooting the same scene the same day initially on Panasonic all-i codec.
Good question.
A friend of mine produce incredibile footage with his GH5s.
In choosing whether it's the camera or his skill, I've always thought of the second option.
In the next few months I should be shooting something with him side by side. I'll let you know...
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.