Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

4K video I shot in Moalboal, Cebu using Sony A7SIII HLG, Nauticam, WWL-1, Sardines, plane wrecks, pilot whales.

Started by GTF8 ·

  • 31Posts
  • 31Replies

Read-only discussion

4K video I shot in Moalboal, Cebu using Sony A7SIII HLG, Nauticam, WWL-1, Sardines, plane wrecks, pilot whales.

31 posts
  1. Great video, congrats

  2. Thanks Marc!

  3. Great videos Gary! I've watched them all. :) Big inspiration for me. I'm about to purchase a Nauticam housing for my A7Siii, do you feel at all limited on photos or do you mess with photo at all? My focus is on video for sure, but I'm sure I'll try some photos here and there.

    Riley

  4. 7 minutes ago, rileym21 said:

    Great videos Gary! I've watched them all. :) Big inspiration for me. I'm about to purchase a Nauticam housing for my A7Siii, do you feel at all limited on photos or do you mess with photo at all? My focus is on video for sure, but I'm sure I'll try some photos here and there.

    Riley

    Hi Riley, thank you for your kind words. Happy u like the videos. I have no limitations with A7S3 for stills also. It’s really great. You can also use the ‘enhance’ feature in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop to 1-click make any image 4x size with no visible loss of quality and still RAW format. It’s a game changing feature for printing. You can also batch process a whole series of images so effectively you have a 48mp camera there. 
     

    i also own the new Sony A74 which I use as a b-roll camera for topside work and have also been using that in the same housing. Fits and works perfectly  (also the Sony A7R4 and A1 fit this housing). 
     

    I’ll post some shots from A74 filming I did last weekend soon. Just diving again at mo. 

  5. 1 hour ago, GTF8 said:

    Hi Riley, thank you for your kind words. Happy u like the videos. I have no limitations with A7S3 for stills also. It’s really great. You can also use the ‘enhance’ feature in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop to 1-click make any image 4x size with no visible loss of quality and still RAW format. It’s a game changing feature for printing. You can also batch process a whole series of images so effectively you have a 48mp camera there. 
     

    i also own the new Sony A74 which I use as a b-roll camera for topside work and have also been using that in the same housing. Fits and works perfectly  (also the Sony A7R4 and A1 fit this housing). 
     

    I’ll post some shots from A74 filming I did last weekend soon. Just diving again at mo. 

    This is great info! My topside camera is currently Olympus, but it’s for sale and eventually I might grab an old A73 (for topside) so I can share lenses/batteries between cams and streamline my stuff. So so so excited! I’ve been endlessly reading and I’ve settled on the same kit I think you’re running, the WWL1 with 28-60. I’ve only ever taken a GoPro hero 5 underwater. So this is life changing, and I’m changing my life for it!

    Edited by rileym21
  6. Hi, do you still use the HLG3 profile for filming under water or did you switch to Slog? Do you use a lut and do you transform to REC 709 in FCP? I am in the process of buying a Sony A7SIII so it would be great to share experience.

  7. On 9/9/2021 at 1:02 AM, GTF8 said:

    Each ISO has native ISO, that's correct, I have attached a chart that shows each one.  For the HLG3 I believe its ISO 2000 for the higher setting, which is what I used throughout this video.  Of course with SLOG3, you get clean files at ISO12,800, so it depends on how deep going, etc, for example as I am using the Sony 28mm F2 lens and WWL-1, if I want to take of the WWL-1 and shoot portraits at wide aperture (which I often do), the SLOG3 wouldn't work, as F2 there would just be far too much light coming in, so its always a choice based on what I want to film.

    6063a25f20664198f737a4c0_Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 6.12.30 PM-2.png

    Thanks for this and the other info you posted. I've found it very helpful. Dumb question incoming... Regarding the dual native ISOs for S-Log3, does mean that noise at 12,800 is as low as at 640? I understand that the intermediate ISO settings past the base are progressively noisier, but at the higher base ISO, does it clean up to be the same as the low base ISO?

  8. 30 minutes ago, jplaurel said:

    Thanks for this and the other info you posted. I've found it very helpful. Dumb question incoming... Regarding the dual native ISOs for S-Log3, does mean that noise at 12,800 is as low as at 640? I understand that the intermediate ISO settings past the base are progressively noisier, but at the higher base ISO, does it clean up to be the same as the low base ISO?

    Hi JP. It won’t be the same as ISO640 but it will be much cleaner than ISO10,000 for example. Weird I know but that’s just how it works. So in theory I just use those two ISO’s only wherever possible for cleanest results. 

  9. Very nice video, thanks for sharing :)

  10. Thanks for kind comments, please check out the latest videos on my YouTube, from Coron Wrecks, Verde Island and Puerto Galera.

    www.youtube.com/garytyson

     

    Edited by GTF8 — forgot to add link
Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.