Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New Nikon Z lenses

Started by Divebiddie ·

  • 25Posts
  • 25Replies

Read-only discussion

New Nikon Z lenses

25 posts
  1. Have any of you folks tried any of the new Nikon FF Z lenses underwater, such as the Z 28mm f2.8 (SE) or MC 50mm micro, both of which have as close a minimum focus as the f60 micro we use?  They are small lightweight lenses, and travel weight is becoming a factor these days.

    Thank you in advance for your time.

  2. Hey Divebiddie

    I don't think we have seen any reports here yet on Z series lenses. I think folks have been using the FTZ with macro lenses and the Nikkor 8-15. It'll be interesting therefore to see the response.

    Hauling a D500 system around, I know what you mean about travel weight!

     

  3. Thank you for responding.  I think I'll jump in and give one a try.  I hated to have a Z camera and not try the lenses the camera was made for.  

  4. Can understand that feeling!

    Do let us know how you get on and post some samples. There’ll be a good bit of interest.  The Z 14-30 would be especially interesting 

  5. On 8/5/2021 at 2:40 AM, TimG said:

    Can understand that feeling!

    Do let us know how you get on and post some samples. There’ll be a good bit of interest.  The Z 14-30 would be especially interesting 

    I took some pictures with the 14-30 on the Swedish west coast last week. Not many and nothing spectacular but if it's of interest I could upload a few samples. Anything specific you're looking for? 

  6. 46 minutes ago, horvendile said:

    Anything specific you're looking for?

    I think it's more that we don't really know how that lens performs underwater - it's so new, well, for underwater anyway.

    What port did you use? Corner sharpness? Overall impressions? Any relevant comparisons?

  7. 1 hour ago, TimG said:

    I think it's more that we don't really know how that lens performs underwater - it's so new, well, for underwater anyway.

    What port did you use? Corner sharpness? Overall impressions? Any relevant comparisons?

    Ok, then I'll try to produce some uncropped and possibly largely un-edited images.

    I've used it behind a Zen 230 mm glass port. I think constantly at f/8 which may sound optimistic, especially as I was often at 14-15 mm, but remember that this is with the Sea & Sea 82 mm correction lens. I'm new to uw photo with ILC, so I don't have much to compare with.

    Pictures coming soon.

  8. Cool, many thanks. I'm sure it'll be of interest to many members.

  9. Ok it'll have to be one picture per post. I have selected five of them. All are uncropped and, well, the point is to see technical image quality. Which may be a bit difficult because of murky waters and I haven't taken the pictures with that in mind.

    All are taken with a Nikon Z7 and all are at f/8. This one is at 14 mm. And ISO 3200.

    Z7A_2521.jpg

    Edited by horvendile
  10. 14 mm
    f/8
    ISO 3200

    Z7A_2525.jpg

  11. 14 mm
    f/8
    ISO 800

    Z7A_2560.jpg

  12. 15 mm
    f/8
    ISO 1600

    Z7A_2572.jpg

  13. 14 mm
    f/8
    ISO 1600

    Z7A_2593.jpg

  14. Many thanks!

  15. Thank you for your information.

    I am also using Z Mount, but I am using FTZ Mount 8-15mm fish eye lens and 105mm macro lens.

    I was very interested in the combination of 14-30mm F4 lens and SEA&SEA filter, but I was hesitating because there was no review.

    I wonder the result of the picture of the higher aperture.

  16. One more, which I forgot in the first batch. Not chosen for its beauty but because it's shot of a flatter surface than the other pictures. Still not exactly a brick wall test though.

    15.5 mm
    f/8
    ISO 1600

    Z7A_2537.jpg

  17. What do you think of the corners? I know you are using the S&S correction lens and a 230 dome - so you have got about as much help as you can get!

  18. Thought I would try the new Z105mm, but Nauticam doesn't make a port yet.

     The joke is on me getting the Z camera to enable use if the Z lenses.  I'm still using f lenses with adapter.  Regrets.

  19. 6 hours ago, TimG said:

    What do you think of the corners? I know you are using the S&S correction lens and a 230 dome - so you have got about as much help as you can get!

    Well, it's still kind of difficult to say, given my limited experience, how little I've used the setup, and that I haven't taken many shots that offer a good opportunity to assess the corners fairly. Hope to have more data this November!

    However, if I am to say anything, I'm happy. Most of my photos have been taken at 14 mm which I gather is really pushing it for rectilinear. Also I'm at f/8, a luxury not expected without the S&S correction lens. Sure there is some smearing in the corners, but I thought it would be worse at those settings. I'd still, preliminarily, call it very usable at 14 mm f/8. Not perfect but very usable.

  20. 5 hours ago, Divebiddie said:

    Thought I would try the new Z105mm, but Nauticam doesn't make a port yet.

    Chances are you can use it with the same port as for the F-mount 105 mm.

    I haven't had the opportunity to try, but the Z 105 is almost precisely as long as FTZ + F 105. IIRC it's ever so slightly thicker, but only a mm or so. There is probably room in the old lens port for that - I say, without knowing the specifics about the Nauticam port. I have good hopes for the Sea&Sea port I have.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.