Chances are you can use it with the same port as for the F-mount 105 mm.
Yeah, I thought that. But according to the Nikon website:
The AF-S is 3.3" (83mm) diameter x 4.4" (116mm) length
and the Z is: 3.4" (85) x 5.6" (140mm)
So it's a good bit longer. But an EXR should be able to handle that.
4 hours ago, TimG said:
Yeah, I thought that. But according to the Nikon website:
The AF-S is 3.3" (83mm) diameter x 4.4" (116mm) length
and the Z is: 3.4" (85) x 5.6" (140mm)
So it's a good bit longer. But an EXR should be able to handle that.
The Nauticam housing has been setup so that the F lens port chart applies with the FTZ adapter, which means the camera lens mount flange sits further back in the housing than the F mount versions it means the housing is thicker but allows use of the same ports for adapted lenses. Other manufacturers may do it differently.
Unless they radically change the design of a lens like a macro lens it will be longer than the F mount version by about the thickness of the the FTX adapter which is 30.5mm and 140mm- 30.5mm = 109.5mm. So effectively for Nauticam ports the lens is 6.5mm shorter.
For the S&S system they may have done the same as Nauticam or they may have tried to make the housing more compact by placing the flange in the same position as the F mount housings, the way they lay out the port charts it's not obvious but I see they have the same port for the nikon 105mm macro in F series housings and the Z7 housing so I expect the same port will fit the Z lens but will have a 6.5mm longer gap to the port glass.
Sea & Sea have done the same, ie made the housing so that with FTZ adapter the lens starts at the same position as in the F-mount housings, meaning the same port chart applies for F-mount lenses.
Which leads me to...
9 hours ago, horvendile said:
the Z 105 is almost precisely as long as FTZ + F 105
this being the relevant measure. Not the lenses compared to each other, but the total length including FTZ where applicable. And then the length difference is small. Well, as ChrisRoss already wrote.
6 hours ago, horvendile said:
Not the lenses compared to each other, but the total length including FTZ where applicable.
Good point!
Thanks to you and Chris
There are a few Aussies shooting with the Z system and the new MC 50mm lens.. it looks damn good from what I've seen, and I'll be picking up that one after setting up the wide angle rig.
I've seen quite a few as well from photographers with the 14-30, less with the 8-15.
Both Brett Lobwein and Matty Smith have instagram accounts and they have both used the Z system. You'd have to look through their pics though for the descriptions as I know they also shoot with D850/D500s.