Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

How to photograph Garden Eels

Started by Pomacentridae ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

How to photograph Garden Eels

23 posts
  1. Here is my attempt I took with the Sony A7R3 and Sony 90mm macro

    1258398638_19-09-19-A7200861(Medium).thumb.jpg.0eca9b59b15ebf1b9c9df7395bbbea3a.jpg

     

  2. I heard a crazy story from a diver in Roatan once.  When younger, she and some friends took LSD and went for a shallow dive.  They had a divemaster with them keeping an eye on them, and they had a plan.  They all went to a nice spot, got heavy and sat on the bottom, not moving.  At first much of the wildlife swam away or hid, but after 20 minutes everything seemed to come back and ignore the sitting divers.   Key was simply to sit still for long enough to get them used to you.  They all sat there for an hour with critters swimming all over and around them, then came up.  Not something I'd do, but something that may have taught me something.

  3. Philippines - Compact Canon G7X II using digital zoom, equivalent 160mm focal length. Fantasea housing, DUAL Inon S2000 strobes.

    Standard scuba waiting patiently before ascending to safety stop depth.

    I found 1.6X digital zoom is about the max I could use without too much image degradation. 

    Also, the Canon G7X II camera with 20.1 MP  1" sensor has no flash synch limitation. Synchronizes  up to 1/2000 of a second in manual or S-TTL flash.

    dhaas 

    IMG_1496.thumb.jpeg.68c1127d826f6e7de0ef8cc17af5849e.jpeg1774034014_IMG_1497(2).thumb.jpeg.0517e0bdd58a08eed6ce7d0c3c48e29a.jpegIMG_9695.thumb.jpeg.de9d4352e65ca419f615191441deb96b.jpeg

    IMG_1497 (1).jpeg

    IMG_1497.jpeg

    Edited by dhaas

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.