Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Panasonic GH6 offers 16 bit variable compression RAW at 25 megapixels and dynamic range boost

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Panasonic GH6 offers 16 bit variable compression RAW at 25 megapixels and dynamic range boost

23 posts
  1. A test by DPreview shows that DR of GH-6 at base ISO is not really good: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6003893411/panasonic-gh6-looks-good-for-most-shooting-but-low-iso-dr-falls-behind

    I find this disappointing, since the sensor tech (dual gain output in one single shot)  was promising clear improvements in DR (similar situation as with OM-1). A pity the companies did not realize the potential for better DR with the new cameras.

    => For me not worth the upgrade for UW photos (suboptimal IQ and poor AF). I guess video specs are outstanding, but this will be judged by others...

    => Similar situation with OM-1: similar IQ to my old EM1II, but better AF for UW macro (still to be proven by someone?). For me not really worth the upgrade of camera plus housing (approx. 5k $), I am still happy with my setup as it is. I will wait for future OM-2 (or GH-7) with better IQ AND better AF.

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  2. 1 hour ago, Architeuthis said:

    A test by DPreview shows that DR of GH-6 at base ISO is not really good: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6003893411/panasonic-gh6-looks-good-for-most-shooting-but-low-iso-dr-falls-behind

    I find this disappointing, since the sensor tech (dual gain output in one single shot)  was promising clear improvements in DR (similar situation as with OM-1). A pity the companies did not realize the potential for better DR with the new cameras.

    => For me not worth the upgrade for UW photos (suboptimal IQ and poor AF). I guess video specs are outstanding, but this will be judged by others...

    => Similar situation with OM-1: similar IQ to my old EM1II, but better AF for UW macro (still to be proven by someone?). For me not really worth the upgrade of camera plus housing (approx. 5k $), I am still happy with my setup as it is. I will wait for future OM-2 (or GH-7) with better IQ AND better AF.

     

    Wolfgang

    I think the dpreview way of testing DR which is to shoot something underexposed and the artificially increase in post is not correct however looking at their RAW side by side I see no deterioration of DR at low ISO and some marginal improvement at high ISO compared to the G9. But then looking at current housing costs I am thinking that I have a GH5M2 that will use my housing bought in 2018 and deliver similar performance at low ISO which is what I use underwater. It does have long GOP 60fps video underwater which is not as good as the GH6 but works ok.

    So for me none of those two camera justify am upgrade from current EM1/GH5 owners except high ISO video for the GH6 that actually works well and may fit some people user case but not significant enough for me

  3. Same here

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.