Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New RF 14-35 f4L, anyone tried?

Started by stillviking ·

  • 85Posts
  • 85Replies

Read-only discussion

New RF 14-35 f4L, anyone tried?

85 posts
    • ambient light at 15'
    • Canon R5
    • 14mm
    • f/11
    • 1/160 sec
    • ISO 250

    6B0A2912.thumb.jpg.8770b724683645047222b40783cc5d6e.jpg

    • ambient light at 15'
    • Canon R5
    • 14mm
    • f/13
    • 1/160 sec
    • ISO 320

    6B0A2918.thumb.jpg.ac640f0b06252aa684d36e231b44f4e2.jpg

  1. Great contributions @JayceeB, it is possible to upload a link for the images in FULL-RESOLUTION to check, please?

  2. 2 hours ago, stillviking said:

    Great contributions @JayceeB, it is possible to upload a link for the images in FULL-RESOLUTION to check, please?

    @JayceeBAs an alternative a post of each bottom corner at 100% maybe about 1200 pixels wide to look at corner resolution if you don't have anywhere to host a full res image.

  3. On 7/13/2022 at 4:52 AM, adamhanlon said:

    Can you share any pictures @Phil Rudin?

    See the Sony FE PZ 16-35 F/4 thread.

  4. @JayceeB,

    Thank you very much for sharing these. I would expect better corner performance at f/13. Is the lens in the correct position?

     

  5. 4 hours ago, adamhanlon said:

    @JayceeB,

    Thank you very much for sharing these. I would expect better corner performance at f/13. Is the lens in the correct position?

     

    Hi Adam,  I'm assuming the lens is in the correct position.  I have it wrapped in a Marelux housing with the 230mm dome and 60mm extension ring as specified in their port chart.  Should I be checking anything else?  One thought...i was finning in the same direction as the fish school when the picture was taken, so the reef may have some motion blur.  Perhaps i should take another test shot while holding still?

    Edited by JayceeB
  6. 3 hours ago, JayceeB said:

    Hi Adam,  I'm assuming the lens is in the correct position.  I have it wrapped in a Marelux housing with the 230mm dome and 60mm extension ring as specified in their port chart.  Should I be checking anything else?  One thought...i was finning in the same direction as the fish school when the picture was taken, so the reef may have some motion blur.  Perhaps i should take another test shot while holding still?

    If you zoom in on the pics you'll see the corals/sponges in the corners are soft but centre of frame at the bottom is sharp.  I would not expect motion blur sharpness to change across the frame for fixed features on the bottom. 

    What may be more interesting if you are prepared to is take a shot of a wall or similar where you are parallel to the subject  at 14/16/18mm to see how the corners improve as you zoom in.  14mm is particularly wide for a rectilinear lens so if the corners improve as you would expect it provides some indication that the extension used is correct.

  7. On 7/15/2022 at 3:32 PM, ChrisRoss said:

    If you zoom in on the pics you'll see the corals/sponges in the corners are soft but centre of frame at the bottom is sharp.  I would not expect motion blur sharpness to change across the frame for fixed features on the bottom. 

    What may be more interesting if you are prepared to is take a shot of a wall or similar where you are parallel to the subject  at 14/16/18mm to see how the corners improve as you zoom in.  14mm is particularly wide for a rectilinear lens so if the corners improve as you would expect it provides some indication that the extension used is correct.

    Thanks, Chris.  I'll try this at some point.  I don't have convenient access to a pool, but I do have access to a concrete anchor block (90' deep) that is ~4'x6' wide that might work.  I'll try an f-stop progression next time I'm at that site.

  8. 18 hours ago, JayceeB said:

    Thanks, Chris.  I'll try this at some point.  I don't have convenient access to a pool, but I do have access to a concrete anchor block (90' deep) that is ~4'x6' wide that might work.  I'll try an f-stop progression next time I'm at that site.

    a flat sandy/weedy bottom would also work to see how the point where you can distinguish sand grains at 100% view on screen changes with settings.

  9. IMG_8575.thumb.jpg.9a1c07e31901835402cb9e8e2e922768.jpgJust tried myself this weekend!

    8'' dome

    14 mm f4 1/400

    Can't deny, good center but horrible blurry corner performance......

    Sad :( Thinking to try 20 mm next snorkeling..

    Edited by stillviking
  10. Any tips for better performance of the lens and avoid this blurry corners? 20mm f8? What would you do?

  11. 9 minutes ago, stillviking said:

    Any tips for better performance of the lens and avoid this blurry corners? 20mm f8? What would you do?

    Is the S&S correction lens an option?

  12. 4 hours ago, TimG said:

    Is the S&S correction lens an option?

    RF 14-35 f4L has a 77mm filter diameter so I think it may work, but didn't find any reference.

    Problem is I have a trip next week and need to find a fast way to minimize soft corners.

  13. I'd suggest:

    1. Bump your aperture to f8/10/11/13.

    2. Zoom in a wee bit (16mm).

    3. Drop your shutter speed to 1/200 or 1/160.  I don't think this will affect the corners, but will allow you to shoot at lower ISO's, so less noise.

    Edited by JayceeB — additional f-stop
  14. I have used the Nikon Z  14-30mm F/4 with the S&S 82mm lens and it is without doubt unforgiving in any port smaller than 230mm. With the Ikelite 8 inch compact port things were worse not better at every f/number. 

    The lens was designed for the S&S 240mm dome port. S&S list the 77 & 82 lenses as being compatible with ports down to 165mm but I am skeptical at best as too weather this will add any advantage.

    14mm will also suffer in an eight inch port without the S&S. I would start at F/13 and above if you want to improve corners. Also a ton of photos can be made without needing to consider corners at all, this is a highly over rated downside all else considered.

  15. 1 hour ago, stillviking said:

    .

    Problem is I have a trip next week and need to find a fast way to minimize soft corners.

    Ahhh, ok. Hmmm, as JayceeB (greta name!) suggests, small aperture then and not zoomed out to the widest setting. And, if you can, include more blue or neutral space at the edges. Sharpness doesn't matter then.

    Edited by TimG
  16. 5 hours ago, JayceeB said:

    I'd suggest:

    1. Bump your aperture to f8/10/11/13.

    2. Zoom in a wee bit (16mm).

    3. Drop your shutter speed to 1/200 or 1/160.  I don't think this will affect the corners, but will allow you to shoot at lower ISO's, so less noise.

    Thanks for great answer! 1/200 will be enough since I'm snorkeling?

    Where I can buy a S&S 77mm nowadays? It looks discontinued everywhere!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.