Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

GH5 upgrade to DX now or stay within m43

Started by Blenny84 ·

  • 37Posts
  • 37Replies

Read-only discussion

GH5 upgrade to DX now or stay within m43

37 posts
  1. On 6/28/2022 at 11:10 PM, Blenny84 said:

    (...)

    The other challenge is to dive with non-photographers and with dives planned for 'divers' rather than 'photographers', it is almost impossible to keep up with the group. The shots are rushed because you don't have time to set up the shot or spend time with the animal so it lets you approach etc...I could do with liveaboards setup for photography rather than diving. I also love house reefs for this reason, you can just dive with your buddy(wife) without a group, no stress. Unfortunately I cannot take time off in July / August this year but will keep an eye on your Red Sea trips. 

    (...)

    A 3 cents from a fellow amateur:

    If you dive with a good outfit and a decent dive guide, every dive is planned for photographers :D And no, not because holding cameras makes are special (needs...), or the place advertises themselves as "catering for photographers", but diving, at least for me, is about seeing things.  As such a good dive is the one you see the most, regardless if you cover 100m or 10m of distance. Heck, often best dives end up being literally ones where you stay in the same spot, as there is so many/so interesting crits there is no need to go anywhere. Now of course there might be some exceptions, like snoot use, (as that, at least for me takes 15 min+ to get that damn thing into the right position, at which point you might be pushing it with the rest of the group, unless you are alone that is) or some deep, windy sites, where there is no way to stay in one place as the current blows you away.


    Personally i really do not mind diving with non-camera folks, in fact most of the times i did, it was absolutely fine and I very much enjoyed it. And on more than few occasions was an absolute blast, when you sometimes meet a great random crew and you all click together so that each dive becomes like a family. Also remember - divers can be "used" as spotters, in fact they will often do it without even asking ;)
    Also use +1 - albeit we both take photos, if one takes a bit longer, the other one becomes the (missing) link - i.e keeping in view the group and the one taking photo, so when that one is finished, can navigate back to the group, even not seeing it.
    Sure from time to time you can get some silly ones, but from my experience, it is the dive guide that is the key - as if he is a good one he will reign such people in / take care of them so they improve their behavior / won't let them go low on air and whole group has to cut short etc. Rarely you meet real dive ruining assholes, and majority I've met, were actually wielding cameras - especially my absolute favorite, people with things on selfie sticks shoveling them about everywhere, no matter the damage to the reef or critter, including in front of your camera after you've spent 5 minutes crawling to that skittish mantis shrimp holding your breath as much as possible. Or you meet a "pro" with big ass camera who then openly catches and moves crits, puts them wherever it suits his shot, them dumps them, but will often bury them or throw sand so that nobody else tries to take a photo (real experience sadly).
    That said never been to a photo only liveaboard for example, but this sounds more for me like an (excellent) learning opportunity in terms of actually taking the pictures, rather than diving per se.

    But the key is research outfit in advance and then the dive guide, the single most important element of diving  - talk to him in advance,  explaining your diving style (not focusing on how many knobs your camera has) . Be nice, polite (but not demanding as in "you must do all for me because i have camera") Also most of the good ones will arrange the dive "viewing" wise anyway, so perfect for anybody with or without a camera. And, perhaps the most important thing - good dive guide is flexible as in while there might be some sort of a dive plan, it can change. He leads and stays where the crits are and where the group are happy, regardless if one covers a whooping 10m distance only during a whole dive. The worst ones here are the strict - who either are insanely focused on rules (don't you dare stay longer than 60 mins or have less than X bars, they will drag you out of the water), or marathon ones - they don't care what you see, but instead care only about the plan - at minute 10 they must be 25m away, at minute 20, 50m etc, they will just swim around like nuts, dragging all behind.

    TL:DR: Research a good dive outfit, that will almost guarantee a good dive guide. Don't get too focused on "special" photo friendly dive centres. Just enjoy the dive.

     

    As for Egypt, I generally avoid July/August - plenty of people and their screaming kids (though might be less now given the funny times we are living in), and it gets really hot, especially down south, so one has to seek shade. Last time been in November last year, completely alone as +1 couldn't go, and had an absolute blast, despite knowing 0 people and being the only only one with camera. Perfect dive guide, super relaxed, you dive as long as you want, no rushing, can dive with the guide or without as long as you are somewhere in the general area, but no need to hold guide's hand (provided buddies were up for that are up for it too, not a fan of solo diving), and stay wherever as long as you want it and have air. It was Fury Shoal so easy and pretty safe diving.
    In older times (when still semi living in Egypt) we also did self guided house reefs  - when driving the Cairo-Aswan route was always awesome to stop for a few days in the "middle" and do a diving break (usually a place called Orca Coral Garden, where you literally woke up whenever, grabbed tank whenever and just went diving however it suited you, guiding oneself)

     

     

    Darn it, again wall of text...sorry :o

     

    Edited by makar0n
  2. 26 minutes ago, makar0n said:

    A 3 cents from a fellow amateur:

     

     

    As for Egypt, avoid July/August - plenty of people and their screaming kids, and it gets really hot, especially down south. Last time been in November last year, completely alone as +1 couldn't go, and had an absolute blast, despite knowing 0 people and being the only only one with camera. Perfect dive guide, super relaxed, you dive as long as you want, no rushing, can dive with the guide or without as long as you are somewhere in the general area, but no need to hold guide's hand (provided buddies were up for that are up for it too, not a fan of solo diving), and stay wherever as long as you want it and have air. It was Fury Shoal so easy and pretty safe diving.
    In older times (when still semi living in Egypt) we also did self guided house reefs  - when driving the Cairo-Aswan route was always awesome to stop for a few days in the "middle" and do a diving break (usually a place called Orca Coral Garden, where you literally woke up whenever, grabbed tank whenever and just went diving however it suited you, guiding oneself)

     

     

    Darn it, again wall of text...sorry :o

     

    Generally winter used to be Russian time, spring and Autumn British tourists and July August arabs and Italian. There are people all year round at least when things are normal with just a changeover of clientele.

    July/August is the best period for diving in Egypt and of course the best thing to do is to do it from a liveaboard. I say that as I have been working the entire year there. Yes it gets hot but you drink plenty of water stay in the shade and it is fine especially on a boat.

    November to April can get windy and the water in February March gets to 21-22 which combined with north wind makes it not very enjoyable and dive guides use a dry suit if they have one.

    There are some specific periods of the year where certain fish spawn however that does not necessarily make for better pictures what matters is quantity and my experience is that this goes up when the heat is on.

    Diving from resort is possible but very limiting unless you are in a place that has a fast RIB and even so most dive sites become unaccessible or a long long way away

    This year there are not many people and the water is still not very warm it just got to 26C at the surface this is 2 degrees less than average. I anticipate that it won't get to 28 even in August making it for a very pleasant summer

     

  3. 22 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

    July/August is the best period for diving in Egypt and of course the best thing to do is to do it from a liveaboard.

    I'm with Massimo on that. And agree that November to April is chiiiillllyyy..... But each to his own!

    August is indeed hot but as Massimo says, shade on a liveaboard, sea breezes and lots of water. Super temperature in the ocean.......

  4. 27 minutes ago, TimG said:

    I'm with Massimo on that. And agree that November to April is chiiiillllyyy..... But each to his own!

    August is indeed hot but as Massimo says, shade on a liveaboard, sea breezes and lots of water. Super temperature in the ocean.......

    Well sire, you are spoiled hailing from Caribbean ;)
    Did winter diving in Sinai, sure feels weird having to wear a jumper or long trousers, or even worse, socks on some days, but water wise, nothing bad with a 7mm semi dry :D Autumn/Spring 5mm and all is well. Or +1 has one of those funky heated vests under the wetsuit.

    That said, yeah water temp is nicer indeed summer wise and on the boat you will have a nice breeze vs 40-50 degrees in Aswan (or a bit less but still hotter on the shore). And i see since this is so controversial i will change the entry to "I generally avoid" :D  - I personally have very low tolerance to crowds/kids screaming and being so a dweller of the cold, dark north Europe mostly, not a fan of staying in the shade. If i am in Egypt, I am in the sun, a vampire in reverse. And if that is in summer, then what is called in some places as British/German tan aka the lovely shade of lobster red is unavoidable. And it makes it so much fun putting that wetsuit on.

    Edited by makar0n
  5. 9 hours ago, makar0n said:

    Well sire, you are spoiled hailing from Caribbean ;)

    True (thankfully). But I did do all my Red Sea diving before moving here. Red Sea in March in 7mm wetsuit ain’t my idea of fun. And like you, reverse vampire - which comes from growing up in Manchester UK. :crazy:

  6. 18 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

    November to April can get windy and the water in February March gets to 21-22 which combined with north wind makes it not very enjoyable and dive guides use a dry suit if they have one.

     

    21-22 is as warm as it gets in Sydney and I dive that in a 7mm, could also do it a 5mm if it's warm above water.  The dry suit doesn't get used till it falls to 16-17 in winter.    I used to dive in a 7mm and hooded vest in 14 deg water before I got my drysuit.

    It really depends on what you are used to,  I have dived in the Gulf of Thailand and the guides complained bitterly when it dropped to 28 deg, while I was quite happy in 1mm skins.

  7. FWIW, I  went from an EM1 Mk II to a D500.  I think I get more "keepers" with the D500.  The focusing is faster and more accurate, by a wide margin, especially in lower lighting conditions; the dynamic range is better and I have a bit more latitude in adjusting the image and cropping the images.  Overall, I enjoy it more, except when carrying it around above the surface. 

    I kept the M43 stuff, thinking I would use it from time to time, and it certainly isn't "bad"  or inadequate, but somehow the housing, camera and macro lenses and ports have all ended up at my son's home in another state, and I may have lost custody of it. 

    Maybe my skills were just not sufficient to get the most out of the M43, and the D500 is just easier to use?

  8. FWIW, I  went from an EM1 Mk II to a D500.  I think I get more "keepers" with the D500.  The focusing is faster and more accurate, by a wide margin, especially in lower lighting conditions; the dynamic range is better and I have a bit more latitude in adjusting the image and cropping the images.  Overall, I enjoy it more, except when carrying it around above the surface. 
    I kept the M43 stuff, thinking I would use it from time to time, and it certainly isn't "bad"  or inadequate, but somehow the housing, camera and macro lenses and ports have all ended up at my son's home in another state, and I may have lost custody of it. 
    Maybe my skills were just not sufficient to get the most out of the M43, and the D500 is just easier to use?

    If you got out of focus shots before and no more now then any discussion about other issues is not relevant
    In terms of dynamic range etc etc for me this is overrated largely however latitude is important i.e. what happens if you get exposure wrong


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. On 7/3/2022 at 5:49 AM, Interceptor121 said:


    If you got out of focus shots before and no more now then any discussion about other issues is not relevant
    In terms of dynamic range etc etc for me this is overrated largely however latitude is important i.e. what happens if you get exposure wrong


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Well, I disagree with your opinions, but everyone should use the equipment they enjoy using and I am not trying to "sell" anyone on anything; just trying to respond helpfully to the OP's question.

     

     

     

     

  10. You misinterpreted the comment
    If you could not get shots in focus and now you do that on its own is worth

    However that’s not the ops issue and in terms of significant boost of IQ there is not really that much


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. Hi,

    Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I have a similar dilemma as the OP. I currently own two quite old Olympus OMD-EM5 (Mark I) and use a Nauticam Housing. Additionally I have the Olympus 60 mm macro lens in a flat port and for wide angle I am using the Panasonic 8 mm fisheye behind the Nauticam 4.33 Dome Port. I also own the Panasonic Lumix 14-42 mm PZ lens. For strobes I use two Inon z240 v4.

    Overall throughout the years I was happy with the setup. However, the cameras are more than 10 years old, and obviously are past their prime.

    I have a trip lined up to Raja Ampat in March 2023.

    Therefore, I am either contemplating upgrading to the new OM Systems OM-1 camera with a new housing and use the lenses/ports I have, or buying the Nauticam WWL-1B to use it with the 14-42 for my upcoming trip and wait a little longer and see what potentially the OM-2 might bring to the market. If I buy the WWL-1B, I will probably try to sell the fisheye lens and the dome port.

    Moving to FF sounds enticing, but is not possible for me at the moment.  

    Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

  12. 29 minutes ago, Nur said:

    Hi,

    Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I have a similar dilemma as the OP. I currently own two quite old Olympus OMD-EM5 (Mark I) and use a Nauticam Housing. Additionally I have the Olympus 60 mm macro lens in a flat port and for wide angle I am using the Panasonic 8 mm fisheye behind the Nauticam 4.33 Dome Port. I also own the Panasonic Lumix 14-42 mm PZ lens. For strobes I use two Inon z240 v4.

    Overall throughout the years I was happy with the setup. However, the cameras are more than 10 years old, and obviously are past their prime.

    I have a trip lined up to Raja Ampat in March 2023.

    Therefore, I am either contemplating upgrading to the new OM Systems OM-1 camera with a new housing and use the lenses/ports I have, or buying the Nauticam WWL-1B to use it with the 14-42 for my upcoming trip and wait a little longer and see what potentially the OM-2 might bring to the market. If I buy the WWL-1B, I will probably try to sell the fisheye lens and the dome port.

    Moving to FF sounds enticing, but is not possible for me at the moment.  

    Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

    I'm not really sure what you hope will be better in any upgrade to the OM-1.  The biggest step up in performance for m43 I think is from the 16MP sensor from the EM-5/5MkII to the EM-1 MkII.  I'm shooting the EM-1 MkII UW now and use the OM-1 on land.  I think we are reaching natural limits on sensor performance and any improvement is going to be incremental. 

    Compared to the EM-5 II which I had previously, I shifted from max of ISO400 on land to ISO800 with the EM-1 MkII,  while DXO mark predicts a little over 1/2 stop improvement.  The OM-1 is a small increment above the EM-1 MkII in my usage.  The big shift has been in AF performance, the 60mm macro is a lot snappier in AF compared the EM-5 series and the OM-1 is a step above the EM-1 MkII.  A lot of the new and interesting features like focus stacking and subject tracking in the OM-1 are not so applicable for UW use, but the improved AF certainly will be.

    So in summary I found the EM-1MkII a decent upgrade from the EM-5 MKII UW, the OM-1 is a great camera, however for UW use not a big upgrade from the EM-1 MkII.  Of course if I were buying a new housing now I'd certainly go for an OM-1, it's just that the increment over my EM-1 MkII is not as significant.   For macro work the AF is a significant improvement compared the EM-5 cameras, a lot less hunting with the 60mm. 

    As for what to do for Raja Ampat, the fisheye would certainly get plenty of use there,  but you may find you want more reach for things like sharks that don't allow you as close as you would like.

  13. 6 hours ago, Nur said:

    Hi,

    Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I have a similar dilemma as the OP. I currently own two quite old Olympus OMD-EM5 (Mark I) and use a Nauticam Housing. Additionally I have the Olympus 60 mm macro lens in a flat port and for wide angle I am using the Panasonic 8 mm fisheye behind the Nauticam 4.33 Dome Port. I also own the Panasonic Lumix 14-42 mm PZ lens. For strobes I use two Inon z240 v4.

    Overall throughout the years I was happy with the setup. However, the cameras are more than 10 years old, and obviously are past their prime.

    I have a trip lined up to Raja Ampat in March 2023.

    Therefore, I am either contemplating upgrading to the new OM Systems OM-1 camera with a new housing and use the lenses/ports I have, or buying the Nauticam WWL-1B to use it with the 14-42 for my upcoming trip and wait a little longer and see what potentially the OM-2 might bring to the market. If I buy the WWL-1B, I will probably try to sell the fisheye lens and the dome port.

    Moving to FF sounds enticing, but is not possible for me at the moment.  

    Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

    If the choice is new camera OR WWL-1 go definitely for the WWL-1 

    Raja Ampat is an amazing place where you get a pygmy seahorse and a wobbegong shark in the same dive and a wet lens approach pays back a lot

    The 8mm fisheye has higher resolution than the 14-42 and WWL-1 and gets you closer do not sell it

    Edited by Interceptor121
  14. 20 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    Like I have mentioned earlier, I am using the first OMD - EM5 camera. I have been reading the posts on the forum, and I do realize there is a big difference between my camera and the OMD - EM1 (not mentioning the newer models). I am talking about AF, video capabilities and overall performance. On top of that, my batteries are getting old, shutter count is up there etc.  

    However, to be honest I was always leaning towards the WWL-1B. Instead of spending more money towards gear (tempting), I think spending more time underwater and practicing my photo skills is more rewarding. Buying a WWL -1B is much cheaoer than replacing the entire setup. 

    I guess I will purchase the WWL-1B for now. To my understanding the WWL-1B can be used on a FF, so this might be a good investment, if I decide to switch.

    Thank you very much for your responses.

     

  15. 21 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

     

    @ChrisRoss 

    I think I have quoted you in my earlier post instead of responding. My apologies.

    Like I have mentioned earlier, I am using the first OMD - EM5 camera. I have been reading the posts on the forum, and I do realize there is a big difference between my camera and the OMD - EM1 (not mentioning the newer models). I am talking about AF, video capabilities and overall performance. On top of that, my batteries are getting old, shutter count is up there etc.  

    However, to be honest I was always leaning towards the WWL-1B. Instead of spending more money towards gear (tempting), I think spending more time underwater and practicing my photo skills is more rewarding. Buying a WWL -1B is much cheaoer than replacing the entire setup. 

    I guess I will purchase the WWL-1B for now. To my understanding the WWL-1B can be used on a FF, so this might be a good investment, if I decide to switch.

    Thank you very much for your responses.

  16. 13 minutes ago, Nur said:

    @ChrisRoss 

    I think I have quoted you in my earlier post instead of responding. My apologies.

    Like I have mentioned earlier, I am using the first OMD - EM5 camera. I have been reading the posts on the forum, and I do realize there is a big difference between my camera and the OMD - EM1 (not mentioning the newer models). I am talking about AF, video capabilities and overall performance. On top of that, my batteries are getting old, shutter count is up there etc.  

    However, to be honest I was always leaning towards the WWL-1B. Instead of spending more money towards gear (tempting), I think spending more time underwater and practicing my photo skills is more rewarding. Buying a WWL -1B is much cheaoer than replacing the entire setup. 

    I guess I will purchase the WWL-1B for now. To my understanding the WWL-1B can be used on a FF, so this might be a good investment, if I decide to switch.

    Thank you very much for your responses.

    WWL-1B is certainly portable, but on full frame it is only working on Sony.   I would suggest if you are hesitating over a m43 upgrade, going to full frame is probably going to be way harder to swallow and probably arguably not a big advantage for what the majority of people us etheir photos for.  The other benefit I didn't mention for the OM-1 is significantly better battery life and it also allows battery charging via USB-C - you could leave your camera in the housing and charge and downlod photos though a USB-C bulkhead.  But I would think that's for the future - a WWL-1B and perhaps a new battery for your trip seems like a good plan for now.

  17. 6 hours ago, Nur said:

    @ChrisRoss 

    I think I have quoted you in my earlier post instead of responding. My apologies.

    Like I have mentioned earlier, I am using the first OMD - EM5 camera. I have been reading the posts on the forum, and I do realize there is a big difference between my camera and the OMD - EM1 (not mentioning the newer models). I am talking about AF, video capabilities and overall performance. On top of that, my batteries are getting old, shutter count is up there etc.  

    However, to be honest I was always leaning towards the WWL-1B. Instead of spending more money towards gear (tempting), I think spending more time underwater and practicing my photo skills is more rewarding. Buying a WWL -1B is much cheaoer than replacing the entire setup. 

    I guess I will purchase the WWL-1B for now. To my understanding the WWL-1B can be used on a FF, so this might be a good investment, if I decide to switch.

    Thank you very much for your responses.

    I’m in a very similar situation (minus being able to go to raja ampat sadly). I also still shoot the original em5. I’ve been considering an upgrade as well, but have ultimately decided that for my next trip (Elba, Italy) I’m going to get the Kraken Macro to wide. I guess similar to topside photography lens upgrades still trump camera upgrades. 

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.