Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Update on Backups when travelling without a laptop?

Started by TimG ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

Update on Backups when travelling without a laptop?

26 posts
  1. My workflow is...

    1. Connect camera directly to iPad Pro or connect SD Card (via ProGrade card reader) to iPad Pro

    2. Backup using Hedge Mono app - this is the iPad version of the popular Hedge app for Mac. I used to just use Files, but I like the peace of mind of having checksum validation.

    3. Unplug card reader and plug my Samsung SSD into my iPad.

    4. Again, use Hedge to backup my files to the Samsung SSD.

     

    Note: you can connect the card reader and SSD to the iPad and use Hedge to copy to both, but the iPad transfer speeds are abysmal is if you do it this way.

  2. 5 hours ago, TimG said:

    As for intentions,  very unlikely to shell out $6k to take it underwater - although that in-viewfinder review is kinda nice.

    Cost me a lot more to take it underwater, at least with Nauticam.   The housing cost is insane at $7200, plus the (Backscatter) vacuum leak detector at $400.   And of course I couldn't use my old macro port, so macro port 80 another $700.   And I needed a different extension for the 230mm dome for the 14-30, so a 50mm extension for $478.  So about $8800.   And I ended up needing a different rope handle, but that was trivial.

    I did also add the 45 degree 0.8x viewfinder ($1800), but that was optional.

  3. Ouch. Well enjoy! Hope you get some great pics. 

  4. On 8/24/2022 at 8:08 AM, TimG said:

    A bit buyer-beware, I think, on the Gnarbox. Lots of reports they have gone out of business and there's no support. They are still obtainable from, eg B&H. I'm wary though of an expensive item with, seemingly, questionable backup

    I thought I'd update the Gnarbox idea: the Gnarbox app appears in the Apple store and the Gnarbox website is running again. As it's not clear if Gnarbox can handle CFexpress files, I emailed Support and asked the question. I got an auto reply back saying:

    Hey there!

    Thanks for getting in touch! Our support services are temporarily limited and responses may take up to 7 days.

    If you are inquiring about troubleshooting assistance with your GNARBOX, please check out our Help Center for tutorials, product walkthroughs, and troubleshooting!

    Frequently asked troubleshooting topics include:

    We've found that 90% of issues can be resolved by updating the GNARBOX with an SD method. Issues tend to occur when the software stack is not up to date.
    GNARBOX Team

    If I get a fuller response I'll post details here.

    In the meantime, B&H Photo, who were selling Gnarbox when I first kicked-off this post, no longer have the Gnarbox 2.0.

    Hmmmmmm.........

     

  5. Lots of those Kickstarter tech projects ends up folding sadly, especially since Corona hit, hence I would be very careful buying into any of those. Plenty are nothing but cheap junk made of chinesium, the weakest metal on Earth, with lots of buzzwords thrown around and a fancy website.

    As for the idea, sounds rather unnecessarily complicated, and massively overpriced. Get an SSD, plug into phone via USB-C (or the lightening apple thingie as per @Gudge idea), voila. You are already carrying a computer (your phone, which you need to use anyways), and it can do anything you want on the drive with the files. You can use gazillion of free file manager apps (try Total Commander, my absolute favorite) and another gazillion of editing apps. And if you need wireless, well get an enclosure with wifi, though USB C would be way faster.

     

    Edited by makar0n
  6. Wise words, makar0n, thanks.

    Yeah, I'm playing around with connection between the z9 and an SSD.

    Sadly when I bought my latest iPad (the Mini 6) I only got a relatively small storage model as I really only use it for web browsing and news reading. So I'll probably need to use my iPhone with the Lightening (rather than USB-C) connection and the adapter @Gudge suggested.

    "Chinesium". :P

     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.