I would like to thank each and every one of you for your responses. I can already see this is a great community with a lot of very friendly and helpful members! I appreciate the time all of you took to answer my questions!
I currently think the Nauticam Housing with a Nauticam N100 Flat Port 45, the Sony 28-60 and a WWL + CMC might be a good housing option in combination with a TRT-Electronics Turtle trigger and INON Z-330 strobes.
@ChrisRoss
Quote
First I would suggest that just because you own a camera doesn't automatically make it the best option to take underwater. A few points to consider
Yes, I thought that may be the case. I travel internationally a lot and was afraid the Sony a1 set-up would be a bit big. The downside of buying a dedicated underwater system is that I would have to carry it in addition to my a1. I do also have a Panasonic LUMIX G9 which could be a potential option for a dedicated underwater set-up.
Quote
Not all wide angles UW are created equal. the 16-35 is a rectilinear lens and needs a large dome port to get the best out of it. The corners will be soft due to dome port optics even when stopped down to f13-16 range in an 8" dome. Other options include the water contact optics including the Nauticam WWL with Sony 28-60 or the WACP-C is also an option. Then there is are fisheye lenses, Sony doesn't have a native fisheye so you would be looking at adapted Canon 8-15 or Sigma 15mm. The WWL, WACP-C and fisheye options will all be optically superior to the 16-35 even behind a 230mm dome.
Thank you for this information. I was actually looking into the Sony 28-60 in combination with a flat dome and the Nauticam WWL-1b and the CMC-2. I was thinking this could provide me with a somewhat travel friendly set-up and give me the flexibility to swap underwater between wide-angle and macro. Do you have any experience with this set-up? Would this provide satisfactory results?
Quote
You talk about starting off with wide angle - but what do you want to shoot with it? Reef-scapes? Wrecks? large animals like sharks etc? Close focus wide angle or wide angle macro? This will influence your wide angle choice. Fisheye for reef scapes, possibly rectilinear for wrecks etc.
Next is where do you plan to dive - mostly local? or flying to a dive spot? Traveling with things like a 230mm dome can be difficult if you want to fit it all in a carry-on.
I do not have a fixed address. I travel full-time. I am currently in South Carolina. After that I will be in Costa Rica for 1 month. My next big trip is to the Galápagos Islands in May 2023. I usually like to dive with larger (pelagic) animals like manta rays, whale sharks and different kinds of sharks. I am currently debating staying for multiple months in the Maldives to work there (tiger sharks and manta rays). Other than that, I do like the idea of being flexible with what I am shooting since I am traveling a lot and visit very different dive sites. For example, I lived a year in Indonesia and dived Raja Ampat where I would have loved to have had the possibility to shoot macro.
@Barmaglot
Quote
The converter is required for TTL operation. You can run the strobes without the converter, but then you will only be able to shoot in manual mode. This is not as big a deal as you might think; the usefulness of strobe TTL underwater is limited, and manual operation is not at all difficult to learn.
I don't think you can use TTL with Ikelite strobes and an Aquatica housing. The Ikelite TTL converter is specific to Ikelite housings, UW-Technics do not make a Sony/Aquatica TTL board, and TRT-Electronics Turtle trigger is optical only, whereas Ikelite strobes required wired sync for TTL operation. You can use Ikelite strobes with an Ikelite bulkhead, but this will be limited to manual operation. Alternatively, you can use a fiber optic bulkhead with a Turtle trigger and fiber optic capable strobes such as Inon Z-330 or Retra Prime/Pro X. The latter will also give you high-speed sync capability, although with A1's 1/400s sync speed (1/500s in APS-C crop) this is not as useful as it is on other cameras.
Thank you for all this information. Chris mentioned that the INON Z-330 strobes are more compact and after looking more into them, they seem to be a great option! In this case I would need the TRT-Electronics Turtle trigger and a case that supports fiber optic bulkheads if I want to use TTL, is that correct?
Quote
The big question here is, do you dive to take photos, or do you take pictures while diving? If it's the former, i.e. photography is the main focus of your dive, and a dive without a camera is a dive wasted, then an A1 is an awesome tool. If it's the latter, i.e. you enjoy diving for its own sake, and just want to take a snapshot every now and again, then a GoPro with a torch or a TG on a handle with a small strobe, or a phone housing, which you can clip off to your BCD and forget about until you need it is a perfectly serviceable option.
That's a great question! I do make a (small) part of my living from my above-water photography and I definitely would like to transition to diving to take photos, but I am also aware that I am at the beginning of my journey and will need a lot of time and practice to get where I want to be. The biggest concern with the a1 is that the underwater set-up is on the bigger side. Since I travel full-time, I would rather not have to carry a pelican case with me everywhere - the a1 itself with the telephoto lenses are already painful to carry.
Quote
A 'halfway house' solution is a Sony 28-60mm with flat port and Nauticam WWL-1 lens - this is still fairly heavy, but a lot more compact than a 230mm dome
I am looking more and more into this and it seems to be a great trade-off between weight, size and quality.
Quote
As a budget alternative to Ikelite, you can consider a SeaFrogs housing. The base A1 housing costs $643, a 90mm port + gear is $159, an 8" polycarbonate dome is $275, a 6" glass dome is $480, and a zoom gear for your 16-35mm is $30. Add a Leak Sentinel for €255 (don't use the SeaFrogs VPS-100, it leaks underwater after a while) and a flash trigger for $68 and you have a full setup minus tray, arms and strobes for less than $1500. I've been using a SeaFrogs housing with a Sony A6300 for quite a few years now, and I'm very satisfied with it. Nauticam, of course, is a whole tier above it, but I would consider it to be very competitive with Ikelite.
I appreciate this information. You are probably right, but I have to admit that I don't think I feel confident enough to use a SeaFrog Housing with my a1. I already feel this way with the Ikelite, which is probably why I will just save up a bit longer and go for an aluminium housing. I don't want to end up saving money in the wrong places.
@WK's Gone Divimng
Quote
I'm just about to upgrade to the A1 with the Sony 28-60 lens. I already own a WWL-1 for wide angle and the SMC-1 for macro.
FWIW, I am considering between the Nauticam and the Marelux housings. If the OP does not object, I would appreciate thoughts on these two housings included in this thread.
How do you like the WWL-1 and SMC-1 so far? Also what made you decide between these two housings? I have to admit I didn't look a lot into the Marelux housing.
@lambee01
Quote
Be careful, you have put your hand in a gear which, in exchange for your passions, will take your time, and especially your money. But I can only say : WELCOME to the world of underwater photography.
Haha. Thank you very much. Yes, I can already tell that this won't be a cheap passion to pursue
Quote
Nauticam Housing with Macro Port, 100mm Dome, 140mm Dome and 230 Dome. What ever we talk about corner softness, never a customer, client has complained about this... Come on, we are talking about underwater photography and not architecture photo. I had used the WWL-1 in the past, but sold it as i did not see the benefits, but the weight while travelling!
That's actually very interesting. I feel like everything in this thread has convinced me more and more to go for the WWL-1 as an option over a 230 Dome and the 16-35. Can you talk a little bit about your experience using both of these set-ups? I would highly appreciate that!
Quote
As a conclusion i would say and emphasize that underwater photography is like a love story. With HIGH and LOW (same as any pictures, with highlights and shades). It will give so much fun and plasure, proudness, but also will trigger so many frustration : Underwater photography will give you challenges that you wouldn't have faced had you not started with it... But so much pleasure as well
I feel this way about photography in general and I can't wait for the highs and lows of my underwater photography journey. Thank you very much!
@adamhanlon
Quote
I'm sure that this wonderful community will reply regarding options for housing and using your camera underwater, but I would urge you to immediately start developing a productive relationship with your local specialist underwater photography store. If you don't know who this might be, this might be an excellent question for the community.
Thank you Adam. I will keep this in mind. Since I don't have a fixed home address, It' sometimes quite difficult to develop a productive and lasting relationship with someone local to help. I will see if I find an option here in South Carolina where I am currently at.
Quote
There are so many (very) expensive pitfalls with lens choices/dome options/strobes/triggering/housings etc. that you really need a specialist retailer's advice. The advice given on the forum is amazing, and is a great way of validating information you are given, but at some point you are going to need to ask a human being about to how to put it all together and make it work properly!
I definitely understand that this is the case. I very much feel this way about photography in general and underwater photography is just a whole new level of it. For this reason, I will try to research as much as I can before I commit to anything.
@hyp
Quote
Lots of valuable information was posted already, and although I agree with @adamhanlonfor me the next housing dealer would be about 2h drive by car.
Yes that's very similar to my situation and the reason why I am trying to find as much help as I can here.
Quote
As this is your first step into a large UW housing, it might be a good opportunity to buy used. Maybe even getting a used Sony FF housing so you can reuse ports if you decide that you want to take your A1 underwater. Housings lose a lot of value the moment they leave your dealers door and sometimes full sets get posted by people who realised after a single dive trip that a FF camera is too much underwater. If you get a setup that uses the WWL-1 you can even go to an entirely different format and reuse the lens if you upgrade.
I will look a bit more in used UW Housing options. It's a bit difficult for me, since I move spots so often. I really like the Idea of the WWL-1 since it allows me so much flexibility with changing my set-up later on and not spending a large chunk of money for something I won't be able to use in the future.