Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

My New Rig - Thanks everyone!

Started by hoekma ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

My New Rig - Thanks everyone!

6 posts
  1. Thanks everyone who helped me figure out my new kickin' camera setup, especially people on this thread for the wide-angle decision and this thread for the strobes, and this thread for steering me away from a boondoggle with pool noodles. 

    After a about 2 months of brain squeeze trying to decide what to get, scrounging on eBay, posting here, and watching youtube videos (thanks Backscatter for all the great vids!), I wound up with this:

    • Olympus E-PL10 with Backscatter Octo-Housing
    • For CFWA,  8mm Lumix fish eye +  AOI DLP-06 port + Inon Z-330 Type 2's
    • For Macro,  60mm Olympus + AOI FLP-02P + Backscatter MiniFlash & snoot
    • BGNing Arms & generic arm hardware from eBay
    • Not pictured are the 4 large STIX floats.  Might look into the pvc floats @wydeangle mentioned here if the Stix aren't adequate.
    • Also, have a UCL-06F diopter coming from eBay soon and will get the flip-up adapter from Backscatter to ago along with it.

    I got the ports, housing, floats and INON lights new from Backscatter. The rest were eBay purchases, which saved me around $1000 vs. buying new. 

    Now to get the rig wet!  Living in land-locked Colorado, I'll start by practicing in our dive shop's pool to get the camera neutral in macro and CFWA setups as well as play with at least macro with the toy critters in the picture (got a whole box of 'em from Amazon!).

    Then, I think I'll sign up for one of the photography training trips.  Any recommendations on a good UW photography boot-camp trip this winter/spring? 

    DiveCamera.jpg

  2. Enjoy your new camera. I sure enjoy mine when I get to use it.  Don't discount grabbing the 12-100F4 for some topside photography while you are on your trips as well.

  3. Have fun with it! And post some pics :clapping:

  4. Thanks!  I'll be posting after I find some blue water to swim in....guessing you won't want to see my pool pics :P

  5. 4 hours ago, hoekma said:

    guessing you won't want to see my pool pics

    It could depend on who is on them?

    Edited by TimG
  6. 3 hours ago, TimG said:

    It could depend on who is on them?

    Touche!

    Edited by TimG

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.